Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times

Advertisements

I knew there had to be more to the black middle class than what was stated. I dont think I want to live in a community anymore than 30 or 40 percent one race. I dont enjoy walking down the street and seeing everyone looking like me.

There are plenty of areas where progressive educated blacks can live and not have the culture shock of being in the getto or have the lp/lv syndrome either. Maywood also has some very nice homes but can be sctchy in some areas as well. Southshore has some nice areas as well. Not every neighborhood that has been considered as bad are all bad.

It would be nice to see the day where everyone can feel comfortable in any neighborhood in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Probably wouldn't be a bad thing for some north siders to take a trip down there, and do a little people watching just so they know that many black people grew up just like they did.
Meh. It should be noted that many of the suburbs immediately south of the city are not very nice places. As a general rule of thumb, it's more middle class south of I-80 than north of I-80. Although there are exceptions north of I-80 and exceptions south of 1-80. South Holland and Ford Heights, for instance.

And also.. Middle class black areas in Chicagoland can have a very real gang presence sometimes. It's not the professional parents who join gangs, after all. It's different from the hood in that it's more out of sight, out of mind. I know middle-class predominately black Matteson like the boring back of my hand and this includes where a couple Gangster Disciples live (I bought bulk from them when I was a young lad). The neighborhood is safe to walk at night but yes, they're there. Last time I checked they're there, anyway.

Ten bucks says Syd is gonna be downright GIDDY about the second paragraph on this this post.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 AM

30 posts, read 42,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

It would be nice to see the day where everyone can feel comfortable in any neighborhood in Chicago.
And LA, and NYC, and Detroit etc.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 AM

291 posts, read 689,112 times
Chicago is a lot like Seattle. Anyway, throughout your life friends will come and go. Family is what really matters. Also, I wouldn't worry about all these other people. Just focus on yourself and stay busy. Focus on the positive things in life and be thankful for what you have. Sure, life can always be better but it can also always be worse. Try to look happy and wear a smile on your face and you will attract good people into your life.

Chicago is a great city. Chicago may not be perfect but no city is perfect just like no person is perfect. I am sure that you can be happy there if you really try. After all, happiness is a choice. Although, perhaps Chicago is not the best city for you. Maybe you are someone who just needs a change of scenery and a fresh start somewhere. Maybe Washington D.C., Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami, Houston, New York, or Los Angeles would be a better place for you.

You are not the only person out there that is not totally happy and content with their life. I am a white guy who lives in Seattle which is a mostly white city. Hell, Seattle is even more white than Chicago is. Anyway, I am not exactly happy living where I am living either. So all we can do in the mean time is just suck it up and man-up and just make the best of things. Remember that life is a journey and a marathon not a race or a sprint. So maybe give Chicago another year and if you still are not feeling it, then get focused on moving somewhere else. Maybe somewhere with warmer winter's

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-25-2011 at 01:34 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Anyway, throughout your life friends will come and go. Family is what really matters.
Throughout your life, there are a small handful of people you know you can count on and you know you can trust. These people are people who matter most.

Not to be off topic or anything..

Quote:
I am a white guy who lives in Seattle which is a mostly white city. Hell, Seattle is even more white than Chicago is.
This is an odd thing to say because it implies Chicago is white like Seattle but Seattle is even more white.

Last edited by urza216; 08-25-2011 at 02:00 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 02:03 AM

291 posts, read 689,112 times
Well Chicago as a whole may have a lot more black people than Seattle does. However, I would say that Chicago and Seattle are similar in that whenever you go to the nicer more expensive parts of town it always seems to be mostly white people.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Well Chicago as a whole may have a lt more black people than Seattle does.
And a lot more Hispanics. To sum up, Seattle is significantly less white than Chicago.

Quote:
However, I would say that Chicago and Seattle are similar in that whenever you go to the nicer more expensive parts of town it always seems to be mostly white people.
Your same statement can hold true for wealthy areas in Manhattan.

Last edited by urza216; 08-25-2011 at 02:32 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I knew there had to be more to the black middle class than what was stated. I dont think I want to live in a community anymore than 30 or 40 percent one race. I dont enjoy walking down the street and seeing everyone looking like me.

There are plenty of areas where progressive educated blacks can live and not have the culture shock of being in the getto or have the lp/lv syndrome either. Maywood also has some very nice homes but can be sctchy in some areas as well. Southshore has some nice areas as well. Not every neighborhood that has been considered as bad are all bad.

well, I feel comfortable in any neighborhood in Chicago.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I dont think most people care about what city is whiter than the other. I think its all about how well the community is set for tolerance. Stereotyping and constant negative information can hurt the social climate of an area.

I have Chineese and Black friends that live in Seattle that have not had problems adjusting to that area.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Meh. It should be noted that many of the suburbs immediately south of the city are not very nice places. As a general rule of thumb, it's more middle class south of I-80 than north of I-80. Although there are exceptions north of I-80 and exceptions south of 1-80. South Holland and Ford Heights, for instance.

And also.. Middle class black areas in Chicagoland can have a very real gang presence sometimes. It's not the professional parents who join gangs, after all. It's different from the hood in that it's more out of sight, out of mind. I know middle-class predominately black Matteson like the boring back of my hand and this includes where a couple Gangster Disciples live (I bought bulk from them when I was a young lad). The neighborhood is safe to walk at night but yes, they're there. Last time I checked they're there, anyway.

Ten bucks says Syd is gonna be downright GIDDY about the second paragraph on this this post.
well hell, there's GDs who sell "product" in Lake View and Lincoln Park as well. if there's a market, someone will bring a supply.

I truly do believe that to see Chicago's black communities heal we need to legalize drugs. Take the profit (and boy effin' howdy are we talking serious bank) margin that comes with the black market aspect out, and it could be a whole new ball game. No teens lurking around grammar schools recruiting or pushing, it would be like the way-old days where yeah, you had gangs and groups of punks, but they weren't all friggin armed to the teeth or staying in that lifestyle into their 20s and 30s and beyond.

People - mostly white people, and especially transplants - really don't get how ingrained into the social fabric the gangs and drug trade is. In Logan Sq/Avondale the folks are moving/spreading out more, but you've still got a subculture of people who have been in that lifestyle for 3 or more generations at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago