Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times

Advertisements

You don't put ketchup on a hotdog, you don't put mayo on a beefs sammich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Crime, no, abomination...

Several years back there was the Joy Luck Club movie. In one scene the author described how it was her mother's custom to humbly suggest to guests that "perhaps the dish is not really well seasoned" as way of sort of eliciting a little thanks for how she nailed it. After mom offers up this traditional assessment of some expensive delicacy that she spent hours if not days hand selecting only the choicest ingredients the author's bone headed "All American" boyfriend proceeds to dump like an entire bottle of soy sauce all over his plate completely obilterating the subtle balance of favors that mom slaved over. Not a crime, simply a way of completing showing yourself to be a total tool... Guy would have been better off going to Arby's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I'm no fan of mayo, but when did it become a crime to order food the way you like it?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Several years back there was the Joy Luck Club movie. In one scene the author described how it was her mother's custom to humbly suggest to guests that "perhaps the dish is not really well seasoned" as way of sort of eliciting a little thanks for how she nailed it. After mom offers up this traditional assessment of some expensive delicacy that she spent hours if not days hand selecting only the choicest ingredients the author's bone headed "All American" boyfriend proceeds to dump like an entire bottle of soy sauce all over his plate completely obilterating the subtle balance of favors that mom slaved over. Not a crime, simply a way of completing showing yourself to be a total tool... Guy would have been better off going to Arby's!
Probably so, but I'm not the food police, so I could give a fig what someone else puts on their sandwich. They're the one thats gotta eat it, not me.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
So, what is the reason you don't put ketchup on other sausages, and why does that same reason not also apply to hot dogs? Ketchup is a sugar coating for children to put on foods they don't like, so they don't have to taste them. When you're an adult if you don't like the taste of something you don't have to eat it. No reason to cover it up with sugar!

Let me guess, white zinfandel is your favorite wine, Velveeta your favorite cheese, Hershey's milk chocolate your favorite chocolate, and you will only drink coffee if it has lots of cream and sugar in it, right?
Plzen the food dictator of Chicago! "Kneel to MY way of eating or off with your head."
Are you going to imply I'm a child because I like hot dog relish on my hamburgers? When I get a dog from Portillo's or somewhere else I do not add ketchup. At home it is heavy yellow mustard, hot dog relish and a little bit of ketchup. Tastes good to me.

Actually I prefer Merlots, although it depends on what I'm eating, I like a variety of cheeses but really don't care for processed cheeses. I won't eat the Kraft American cheese in the frig, but a good Deli American cheese slice is good although I prefer a hearty swiss. I prefer Ritter Sport mit Marzipan or a plain moderately dark Lindt chocolate and I like a little cream and a little sugar with coffee. And the coffee needs to be strong, none of this brown water "iowa" coffee.
Does this meet your acceptance O royal dictator of food tastes?
Now hurry off, the Queen is expecting you for high tea. Now do not slurp and do not leave crumbs.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Plzen the food dictator of Chicago! "Kneel to MY way of eating or off with your head."
It has nothing to do with Chicago. I knew this long before I moved here. It has to do with taste buds and a developed palate. It's also not "my way." It's the way of pretty much anyone who knows what they're talking about, culinarily-speaking.

The Straight Dope: Why is there no ketchup on a properly made hot dog?

No ketchup on hot dogs

Dirty Harry hates ketchup - YouTube

It's associated with an undeveloped child-like palate, as are the other things I mentioned. We all have to grow up sometime. It's okay, man, you can do it.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I did not read the links the Pizen posted but I suspect that there is a whole lot to do with the classic prep of Chicago dog. It is not boiled. You just sorta let the dogs get "warmed up" in barely simmering water. That gives the right temperature without changing the flavors / textures of the ground meat inside the nice "snappy" casing.

It is the same sorta thing like way pot stickers come with a nice dipping sauce infused with ginger while moo shu gets the sweet hoisin sauce smeared on the bao bing or Gong Bao chicken has to have those "so hot your tongue goes numb" Sichaun peppercorns.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I did not read the links the Pizen posted but I suspect that there is a whole lot to do with the classic prep of Chicago dog. It is not boiled. You just sorta let the dogs get "warmed up" in barely simmering water. That gives the right temperature without changing the flavors / textures of the ground meat inside the nice "snappy" casing.
That might be part of it, but it really applies no matter how they're prepared. The ketchup throws off the acidity and overpowers the balance of flavors. If you want tomato flavor on it, that's what actual tomatoes are for. The corn syrup in ketchup screws it all up. Obviously you have the right to ruin your hot dog, though, if you want, just like you have the right to ruin a perfect steak with A1 or an Italian Beef with mayonnaise. It's just not an indicator of very good taste.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
It's trendy and cool to hate putting ketchup on a hot dog, but most of the haters will cover a burger in ketchup because no one told them not to.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I'm no fan of mayo, but when did it become a crime to order food the way you like it?

No problem, sweet or hot peppers?

Dipped / not dipped, cheese / no cheese.

Make it a combo!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
It's trendy and cool to hate putting ketchup on a hot dog, but most of the haters will cover a burger in ketchup because no one told them not to.
Yes, it's a trend that started like 75 years ago. Why the hell would someone put ketchup on a sausage?

A hamburger is very different from a sausage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago