Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM

304 posts, read 871,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If I'm reading this sentence correctly you're suggesting that Lake View is closer to downtown than Wicker Park and Lincoln Park.

OP, look at a map, realize this is laughably incorrect, and don't believe another word he says.

Haha Yeah you are right, just looked at a map and Lincoln Park is obviously closer to downtown than Lakeview. Thanks for warning me about misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
DO NOT move to Lakeview! Please! It's the douche epicenter of Chicago. Do you want to live around the same sweater-wearing suburban a-holes from Nowheresville, Midwest who want to live in The Big City except they're afraid of dirt and people who aren't exactly like them? Just imagine if all of Grosse Pointe, Michigan decided to relocate into the city. That is Lakeview. Hell on Earth. Trust me; I'm a doctor.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
DO NOT move to Lakeview! Please! It's the douche epicenter of Chicago. Do you want to live around the same sweater-wearing suburban a-holes from Nowheresville, Midwest who want to live in The Big City except they're afraid of dirt and people who aren't exactly like them? Just imagine if all of Grosse Pointe, Michigan decided to relocate into the city. That is Lakeview. Hell on Earth. Trust me; I'm a doctor.
I'd say Lincoln Park is more of a dbag center, but there certainly are areas of Lakeview like that for sure. There are areas of Lakeview that aren't though. No matter what though, I like Wicker Park, Bucktown, UK Village, and Logan Square more than Lakeview on average. More interesting on average IMO.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM

483 posts, read 842,641 times
Whatever you do, stay out of that crime infested hotbed of mayhem Lincoln Square. I mean just look at how far it is from downtown!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Whatever you do, stay out of that crime infested hotbed of mayhem Lincoln Square. I mean just look at how far it is from downtown!
It's true. One time, this bar owner made me cough up $9 for a tallboy of Half Acre Daisy Cutter. That day, not only did they take my money, but they robbed me of my dignity. Let this be a cautionary tale for everyone!!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Good point, and whatever you do, never venture into Forest Glen!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Load up a tourist ( like me ) with ample amounts of sauerkraut and wiener schnitzel, and there's no telling what he'll do..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM

48 posts, read 89,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's still a few areas that aren't realllly gentrified that I've seen, but for the most part I'd agree with you. I think Wicker Park is less gentrified than Bucktown. Both are still nice areas, but I prefer Wicker Park over Bucktown for sure because of some of the edgier places, but also the nice places too (i love both worlds).

Just out of curiosity, which areas of Bucktown are you referring to in the first sentence? When we were looking for a condo, almost exclusively in Bucktown (rented there 8 years prior), the search took us to every nook and cranny of the neighborhood. I don't recall seeing any areas that weren't fully gentrified. Sure, there are still some older Latino families holding on to bungalows, and not every building is a 3000+ sq ft newer construction SFH, but I think it's fully blown g'fied. Not trying to argue, just wondering which area/streets you were referring to.

To keep the thread on track, I moved to a sleepy part of Bucktown when I was 28 and single, near Holstein Park. It was a great area, but 90% families. If you decide on Bucktown or Wicker Park, try for a place near Damen/Milwaukee/North Ave. As was mentioned before, it's the epicenter of the nightlife there.

Another thing to consider, you are probably going to be making friends at school, and I would bet the majority will be living in the Lakeview area. It's just the place to be for the early to mid 20's age group, so just expect to head over there a lot when you guys get together. And I speak from experience here, taking public transportation is fine and dandy to get to Lakeview, but when 2am rolls around and you just want to get home, that $15 cab ride sounds like a hell of a deal compared to 40 minutes of EL rides.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,262 times
OP's budget pretty much prices them out of all the 'hoods mentioned, unless we're talking studio, basement or roach box.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 PM

63 posts, read 81,957 times
guys, let's try keeping things in the right spirit.

move to the cool part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago