Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffthefluff View Post
This must take the cake as stupidest and most useless thread ever on this board.

We're seriously having a discussion based upon some sort of critique of Chicago for perhaps not having enough of some ideal sort of whip smart and also gorgeous and nice/interesting/non-bi*chy women? What?

Obviously recommendations for quality night life locations are relevant, but the stuff that people are currently on about is wholly ridiculous.
Meh...The OP was equating quality nightlife with the attractiveness of people. Most everyone else responded in disagreement to that. Seems appropriate enough to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Actually I'd put Chicago near the bottom of this list for nightlife, but still far above most places in the country. Chicago might get the nod over LA due to the fact that it's more condensed and MUCH easier to utilize public trans and taxis to get around town even at night. Another important fact is that the clubs stay open late here in Chicago unlike LA where I believe they close at 2 AM. NYC also stays open very late & the other two cities stay have clubs that stay open insanely late: certain venues in Miami & the 24 hour Las Vegas).

There are some other cities that have nightlife scenes & districts that shouldn't be slept on either. Sometimes you'll find the locals in these places to be friendlier than Chicago in general (in particular in the South & West). That being said, Chicago's still a pretty good nightlife city, and a lot better than the rest of the Midwest IMO. For Midwesterners tired of their local city or town, Chicago still provides them with the closest getaway with the quintessential big city experience. I need to visit Minneapolis, since I've heard that it is decent. But for some random transplant from Michigan or Ohio, they're much more likely to end up in Chicago than Minneapolis due to sheer distance. Minneapolis is a bit too far from most of the Midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Chicago is one of the best cities in the US for nightlife.

Unquestionably top 10. Certainly top 5, IMO. (NYC, Chicago, LA, Las Vegas, Miami)

This thread is ridiculous.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,214 times
There's a lot of anti-club mentality in Chicago, I remember "clubbers" were always seen as being radically different from everyone else. They are also maybe the only group in Chicago that pays attention to trends and staying in shape.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
*confused*

Is OP a troll?

I come from a town of 40,000 people, the night life here is literally dead. How can you call the night life of the country's 3rd biggest city dead? Sounds like you might go out too much.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I hardly go to nightclubs, as I hate dancing and losing sleep...

What are the typical cover charges for men? And do pretty women get in free at most places?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I hardly go to nightclubs, as I hate dancing and losing sleep...

What are the typical cover charges for men? And do pretty women get in free at most places?
Typically there is no more than a $10 cover charge but there is a long line regardless if your male or female. Some high end places have a $20 cover with a line. Usually the line is so long that my friends and I will just split bottle service. It ends up being only about twice the cost of our cover plus we get booze from it and no wait.

I usually just go to bars around Lincoln Park since I am not a fan of the "high class" scene of River North Clubs. High class is in quotes because the people who frequent those places are usually idiots IMO.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Actually I'd put Chicago near the bottom of this list for nightlife, but still far above most places in the country. Chicago might get the nod over LA due to the fact that it's more condensed and MUCH easier to utilize public trans and taxis to get around town even at night. Another important fact is that the clubs stay open late here in Chicago unlike LA where I believe they close at 2 AM. NYC also stays open very late & the other two cities stay have clubs that stay open insanely late: certain venues in Miami & the 24 hour Las Vegas).

There are some other cities that have nightlife scenes & districts that shouldn't be slept on either. Sometimes you'll find the locals in these places to be friendlier than Chicago in general (in particular in the South & West). That being said, Chicago's still a pretty good nightlife city, and a lot better than the rest of the Midwest IMO. For Midwesterners tired of their local city or town, Chicago still provides them with the closest getaway with the quintessential big city experience. I need to visit Minneapolis, since I've heard that it is decent. But for some random transplant from Michigan or Ohio, they're much more likely to end up in Chicago than Minneapolis due to sheer distance. Minneapolis is a bit too far from most of the Midwest.
Im from Upstate NY (Syracuse area) and have been all over the country. Spent a lot of time in NYC. New York state last call is 4am (unless otherwise locally), but there are places in NYC that stay open til 6am. However, the NYC scene is overrated. Its more costly for one, the crowds arent nearly as "beer happy" (id say Upstate cities drink much harder, NYC is more posh and mixed drinks on the whole IMO), and even for it being a "24 hour" town, dont be fooled by the late last calls. Ive been out plenty of times til 3-4am. The city does die down on the bar front around 3. Bars that are still bustling at those hours are few and far between, and most of the time, if youre out during that time youll see a few drunk stragglers making the trek home and garbage men mostly.

Yes, NYC is always regarded as the mother of everything, but its cliche and you really need to go/live there to see it for your own experience. Often times, youre either overwhelmed, or think its overrated. Not everyone is the same.

Chicago offers just as much IMO, although obviously on a smaller scale. However, in my time there, I find the locals much more "laid back and beer happy" than NYC folks. NYC is too obsessed with their work lives and take **** too seriously. I have friends there that often come back upstate to avoid that and drink up here instead.

Ive been all over. Chicago certainly is at the top. Im taking into account, options, people, culture, cost, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
However, the NYC scene is overrated. Its more costly for one, the crowds arent nearly as "beer happy" (id say Upstate cities drink much harder, NYC is more posh and mixed drinks on the whole IMO)
Brooklyn is where it's at for NYC, IMO. It has a laid-back neighborhood bar scene that reminds me a lot of Chicago's.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Brooklyn is where it's at for NYC, IMO. It has a laid-back neighborhood bar scene that reminds me a lot of Chicago's.

I do agree here.

NYS last call is 4am, so Albany and Buffalo both have among the latest last call times in the country.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM

Either way, this is a troll OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago