Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times

Advertisements

I was near trader joes in Lincoln Park today and just observing how the area seemed to lack diversity. One can go to Woodfield mall in suburban Shaumberg and see more diversity than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Half these city dwellers live in white or black neighborhoods.

I'm the only one who should be speaking. by 3rd grade I met kids from Cambodia, Afghanistan, India, Vietnam, Colombia, Bosnia, Romania, China, etc, etc.

Now that's diversity.
Not some overgrown mustache hipster from Wicker Park
Or some Yuppie from Lincoln Park.

That's not diversity.
You're the only one who should be speaking? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. how do you know our backgrounds? I grew up in Minnesota with people from Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, India, China, Bosnia, Germany, Somalia, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico. My next door neighbors were from China and my "across the street" neighbors were from India. My best friend's mom was a Mexican immigrant.

I actually feel more comfortable in any type of east Asian setting (wherever it may be) than almost anything else because of how many Asians I grew up with and were friends with. My last girlfriend was from Asia, the one before that was half Mexican, and the one before that was Hawaiian Chinese. And today my friends come from all over the world because it's how I grew up.

Yet I live in the Gold Coast, so by some peoples' definitions, I must not be very exposed to cultures even though on my floor alone I have two separate Indian/Pakistani neighbors, a Spanish one, and a Palestinian one not to mention an African American neighbor at the other end of the hallway.

Not trying to make it into a pissing match, but I find the statement "I'm the only one should be speaking" rather ignorant. You don't know other peoples' backgrounds on here and just because you live in an area like Lakeview doesn't mean you don't know tons of people from other cultures and what not and aren't cultured or what not. I'm guessing there's rather a lot of people on here who are friends with people from all walks of life.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-11-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:

I'm the only one who should be speaking. by 3rd grade I met kids from Cambodia, Afghanistan, India, Vietnam, Colombia, Bosnia, Romania, China, etc, etc.

Now that's diversity.

That's not diversity.
There is a solid chance that both the yuppie from Lincoln Park and the HIPSTERSTACHE from Wicker Park have slept with all the kids you met back in 3rd grade, or at least their sisters. That is diversity as well.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You're the only one who should be speaking? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. how do you know our backgrounds? I grew up in Minnesota with people from Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, India, China, Bosnia, Germany, Somalia, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico. My next door neighbors were from China and my "across the street" neighbors were from India. My best friend's mom was a Mexican immigrant.

I actually feel more comfortable in any type of east Asian setting (wherever it may be) than almost anything else because of how many Asians I grew up with and were friends with. My last girlfriend was from Asia, the one before that was half Mexican, and the one before that was Hawaiian Chinese. And today my friends come from all over the world because it's how I grew up.

Yet I live in the Gold Coast, so by some peoples' definitions, I must not be very exposed to cultures even though on my floor alone I have two separate Indian/Pakistani neighbors, a Spanish one, and a Palestinian one not to mention an African American neighbor at the other end of the hallway.

Not trying to make it into a pissing match, but I find the statement "I'm the only one should be speaking" rather ignorant. You don't know other peoples' backgrounds on here and just because you live in an area like Lakeview doesn't mean you don't know tons of people from other cultures and what not and aren't cultured or what not. I'm guessing there's rather a lot of people on here who are friends with people from all walks of life.
Breathe marothisu...it's ok.....

The Gold Coast is a diverse neighborhood from my limited exposure to the area. Quite different from Lincoln Park or W. Lakeview.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
This happens in a lot of other big cities too.

Manhattanites look down on Brookylnites and other NYC residents. People who live in Beverly Hills look down on other parts of Los Angeles. It's not a Chicago thing. It's a class thing -- it's not something that's going to change either. Bragging about where you live is exactly what this site is -- just go look at the City vs. City forum. It has so many boosters from so many cities for a reason.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
A lot of suburban people, mostly older, look down on people that live in the city. 20 years ago that was the prevailing thought of most residents from the suburbs. There are plenty of cities in the US where that is still true, Detroit and St. Louis being nearby examples.
Anyone who doubts this should just read the Chicago Tribune's comment sections. I look down on suburban infrastructure for sure, but I've found the people themselves represent every end of every spectrum and everything in between.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 AM

502 posts, read 717,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Two words I want everybody to stop using: 1) "diverse" and 2) "professional" in order to describe people, e.g. "30s professional male."

Now with that out of the way, what city can you go to where people don't look down on those who live in the suburbs? This is not Chicago-specific.
From my experiences, I think this attitude is a bit worse in Chicago though. I lived in Los Angeles for years, there is some of this cooler-than-thou-because-I-live-in-the-hip-city-neighborhood attitude there as well, but L.A. is more spread out geographically than Chicago and it's "happening" spots are more scattered. You can be from Long Beach, Northridge or the San Gabriel Valley and say you're "from L.A." because it's easier to say and it's technically true anyways and noone will care. otoh, Chicago is a more centralized city where most people go "into the city" to the happening places. So, the Chicago Nazis will get really pissed if you're from Lake Co., Bollingbrook, or even a neighborhood by O'Hare and tell people you're "from Chicago", even though these areas are also technically part of the Chicago metro.

Last edited by fightforlove; 07-12-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:

Now that's diversity.

That's not diversity.
Really? So you're the only one on this forum that socialized with people of different races as a child? That's funny.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
In my old neighborhood were Irish, Jews, Italians and Greeks. I didn't meet a white Protestant until I was out of high school; oh, I'd heard rumors of the existence of such creatures, of Mayflower People in Oak Park and German Lutherans (Ludderans) north of North Avenue.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In my old neighborhood were Irish, Jews, Italians and Greeks. I didn't meet a white Protestant until I was out of high school; oh, I'd heard rumors of the existence of such creatures, of Mayflower People in Oak Park and German Lutherans (Ludderans) north of North Avenue.
Why do we have to label people? I didn't know what a protestant was until 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago