Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
From a logical perspective, what you say makes perfect sense. But gentrification doesn't always follow logic. Often it does, but not always. West Logan Square isn't good in terms of public transit, and isn't particularly interesting, but it's changing pretty fast because people believe it's changing pretty fast. And if it gets ritzy enough, the City will create the public transit around it.

The buzz on Humbolt that it's urban, cool, gritty and hip. Take that a few more steps and it wouldn't matter if you had to drive an hour to O'Hare Airport, go through security, and board a 787 to get downtown. People will want to be a part of that and the area will gentrify through momentum.
I am sorry, but Logan Square overall is really changing. Perhaps not the western fringes not as much as the central and eastern portion. But that is my whole point though, Humboldt Park is not a very convenient area, which is why West Logan Square isn't developing as fast as the central and eastern portion of Logan Square. Your point that west Logan Square isn't really developing is basically the exact same reason that Humboldt Park is going to take a long time. People will continue to pick living in Logan Square and Avondale over Humboldt Park for a while.

The buzz on Humboldt Park is that it's urban, cool, gritty and hip?! Uhm no, that is more for Logan Square. The buzz I hear around (and I have been here for 26 years and have family who lived there) is that Humboldt Park is a beautiful park but the neighborhood is dangerous and ghetto. People don't go to Humboldt Park to hangout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM

566 posts, read 678,011 times
Back in the 60's, as I remember growing up near there, Humbolt Park was gritty even before the Latinos took over, but never cool and hip like Wicker Park and Logan Square.. I last saw that area in 1990 when gentrification started, well, tried to, and people got shot at. Still tough gangs near there I hear... It's been 23 years waiting for gentrification to take hold...according to my 50 years past history meter..I would'nt hold my breath waiting.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I
The buzz on Humboldt Park is that it's urban, cool, gritty and hip?! Uhm no, that is more for Logan Square. The buzz I hear around (and I have been here for 26 years and have family who lived there) is that Humboldt Park is a beautiful park but the neighborhood is dangerous and ghetto. People don't go to Humboldt Park to hangout.
I don't know if it's hard to see it from where you are or you don't want to acknowledge it but it's there. I know or know of several hipster/artist/bohemian or whatever you might call them types who are buying in Humboldt Park. I've heard them reference how they wanted to get away from Logan Square because it's "played out" (i.e. they are too broke to afford it). Trust me, this is not a good sign if you don't want to see Humboldt gentrify.

People don't go there to hang out? What about Rootstock, California Clipper and the Continental? Those are just a few I can think of right off the top of my head where middle class people I know who style themselves as a bit offbeat and cool go to hang out. And if I can think of three, I'm sure there's at least 10 more.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Most of the homicides have been pushed to the southwest these days, though from what I understand the neighborhood of Humboldt Park still has some serious gang/drug problems.

The community area of Humboldt Park, on the other hand--watch out!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Back in the 60's, as I remember growing up near there, Humbolt Park was gritty even before the Latinos took over, but never cool and hip like Wicker Park and Logan Square.. I last saw that area in 1990 when gentrification started, well, tried to, and people got shot at. Still tough gangs near there I hear... It's been 23 years waiting for gentrification to take hold...according to my 50 years past history meter..I would'nt hold my breath waiting.
I lived in east Logan Square in the Milwaukee/Kedzie/Logan Boulevard area in the mid-1990s. It was run down and sketchy, full of liquor stores, gang bangers and taco joints. Many were saying the same things back then that you're saying about Humboldt now -- basically that Logan had been the next "it" thing since the 1980s but never took off.

Now I go back and marvel at all of the new cafes and restaurants. It's also a lot cleaner, and you don't hear car alarms blarring 24/7 like I used to. Now, there's a place called La Boulangerie near where I lived where you can get crepes and things like orange senchan tea per their website. In my day, you had to go over to the J.J. Pepper to get a Little Debbie oatmeal pie and a Snapple and risk getting shot. This stuff can happen very fast once an area hits a certain critical mass.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it's hard to see it from where you are or you don't want to acknowledge it but it's there. I know or know of several hipster/artist/bohemian or whatever you might call them types who are buying in Humboldt Park. I've heard them reference how they wanted to get away from Logan Square because it's "played out" (i.e. they are too broke to afford it). Trust me, this is not a good sign if you don't want to see Humboldt gentrify.

People don't go there to hang out? What about Rootstock, California Clipper and the Continental? Those are just a few I can think of right off the top of my head where middle class people I know who style themselves as a bit offbeat and cool go to hang out. And if I can think of three, I'm sure there's at least 10 more.
But this is what i am saying. Where are there more bars and restaurants opening up in? Logan Square or Humboldt Park? Where are more condos and people moving to, Logan Square or Humboldt Park? Which area has more nightlife, amenities and diverse things to do, Logan Square or Humboldt Park? Where will you find more hipsters in Logan Square or Humboldt Park? My point is, Logan Square isn't fully gentrified or developed yet, and Avondale is in the same boat. I am not denying that Humboldt Park is gentrifying, but before it can take off like Logan Square did has done in the last 10 years and Avondale is doing now, those two places will have to develop and gentrify more.

I live in Avondale, and I am sick of seeing hipsters around here. Every bar opening up around here is flooded by hipsters. I live in an apartment building of 15 apartments. Easily 5 out of the 15 (including myself) are not people who are hispters. The rest of the 10 apartments have hipster residents. 5 years ago you never saw this many hipsters. They are all obviously moving here in droves and I mean in DROVES.

For Humboldt Park to take off like Logan Square has, it has to be a repeat of what happened with Wicker Park. Wicker Park was the Logan Square of the 1990's. Once Wicker Park became fully developed and fully desirable it became very expensive and pushed all those residents who gentrified the neighborhood out, who mostly went where? To Logan Square. Now the same thing is happening to Logan Square and Avondale to a certain extent. The thing is both are still very affordable and with a lot left to build up. Perfect example is the strip of Milwaukee between Armitage and California. It's bounded by two el stops, yet more than half the land there is somewhat vacant or rundown. I am pretty sure a developer would build something along that strip a million times over building something in Humboldt Park? Why? Because Logan Square is just much hotter than Humboldt Park now.

Not until Logan Square becomes the next Wicker Park, do I then see Humboldt Park really taking off. In the meantime it will be a slow gentrification process for HP and Logan Square is changing quickly and developing quickly.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I lived in east Logan Square in the Milwaukee/Kedzie/Logan Boulevard area in the mid-1990s. It was run down and sketchy, full of liquor stores, gang bangers and taco joints. Many were saying the same things back then that you're saying about Humboldt now -- basically that Logan had been the next "it" thing since the 1980s but never took off.

Now I go back and marvel at all of the new cafes and restaurants. It's also a lot cleaner, and you don't hear car alarms blarring 24/7 like I used to. Now, there's a place called La Boulangerie near where I lived where you can get crepes and coffee. In my day, you had to go over to the J.J. Pepper to get a Little Debbie oatmeal pie and risk getting shot. This stuff can happen very fast once an area hits a certain critical mass.
Right but that's the question, why did Logan Square become what it is today? I big chunk of it was the push of WIcker Park, and not until Logan Square becomes the next Wicker Park, do I then see Humboldt Park taking off. I mean Humboldt Park also borders Wicker Park. So people who moved out could have gone west or north and most went north. In my belieft that is mostly because of the El line and it's just more convenient than going west into Humboldt Park.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Long term it's probably a good investment, especially on the east side.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM

566 posts, read 678,011 times
I remember when Logan and Wicker were "it things" back in the 60's. That's why they took off again. But not Humbolt Park. I would'nt invest there. Some areas to me, just have good vibes and others don't. Oh sure, you may see stuff popping, until they don't keep popping...

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-09-2013 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
I don't know if it will or not, but I don't think Logan Square or Wicker Park either had remotely the violence problem that continues to plague Humboldt Park to this day. But I can definitely see the area east of the park popping.

Hell, I would say it is an eventuality given its location. How long? Anyone's guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago