Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:38 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I get the war on drugs thing and how past policies have had a detrimental impact on cities, and I do think most of Trump's rhetoric is political, but in these debates people always lean back on generalizing why all inner cities have problems and forget that we are talking about CHICAGO.

The war on drugs affected ALL major cities and hit NYC harder than any other city. How do your links or history explain how CHICAGO has more violent crime (raw numbers and percentages) than NYC or LA? Also people love to say how Chicago isn't terrible when you look at proportion/percentage, but if you just looked at the south side (which is large enough to be its own city), its crime percentages would be right at the top. Sending the Feds in tanks is stupid (and wouldn't surprise me with this president), but if they came in the form of extra manpower and the city was actually committed to lowering crime, Id be for it.
The tearing down of the projects and giving Section 8 vouchers to former residents to be dispersed all over the city is problem No. 1.

Problem No. 2 is that the young people who live in the depressed areas--particularly young black males--are socialized to be violent by other black males. No number of tanks is going to fix that.

These people were not raised with any type of values, morals or regard for the lives of others or themselves for that matter. No number of tanks will fix that either.

You can send in the Feds in the form of more man power as opposed to tanks, but how does that stop the violent socialization of the young people in these areas? I think gang involvement in and of itself she be criminalized and harshly punished. But until the people in these depressed areas teach their children how to be peaceful, civilized and understand the value of hard work and education, nothing will change things--not even rolling in tanks.

There should be job training programs, academic counseling, anger management and conflict resolution training, and money management courses offered to these young people. Sending in the Feds doesn't get to the root of the problem, which began with black people being socially conditioned to hate themselves and each other since slavery, to be violent--particularly towards each other, and not see that their chances for a better life comes through getting an education, not hustling on the streets or beefing with each other over nonsense.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:25 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
So you want something that destroys lives to be legal then how nice. Once again the criminals win
Actually, the criminals would lose if drugs were legal. They'd be out of business.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 775,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Actually, the criminals would lose if drugs were legal. They'd be out of business.
But people who do drugs could get them easier if they were legal and doing drugs is a crime. So by not making it a crime anymore they win. Not too mention people who do not do drugs I bet would now that they would be so easy to get

Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Modern day prohibition. I personally don't think selling cocaine, heroin, or other life-endangering drugs is beneficial, but I see no reason for marijuana to be illegal.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
The tearing down of the projects and giving Section 8 vouchers to former residents to be dispersed all over the city is problem No. 1.

Problem No. 2 is that the young people who live in the depressed areas--particularly young black males--are socialized to be violent by other black males. No number of tanks is going to fix that.

These people were not raised with any type of values, morals or regard for the lives of others or themselves for that matter. No number of tanks will fix that either.

You can send in the Feds in the form of more man power as opposed to tanks, but how does that stop the violent socialization of the young people in these areas? I think gang involvement in and of itself she be criminalized and harshly punished. But until the people in these depressed areas teach their children how to be peaceful, civilized and understand the value of hard work and education, nothing will change things--not even rolling in tanks.

There should be job training programs, academic counseling, anger management and conflict resolution training, and money management courses offered to these young people. Sending in the Feds doesn't get to the root of the problem, which began with black people being socially conditioned to hate themselves and each other since slavery, to be violent--particularly towards each other, and not see that their chances for a better life comes through getting an education, not hustling on the streets or beefing with each other over nonsense.
I agree with almost all you said, but the Bronx, in the 90s, had all those problems and more. It was literally one of the most crime infested areas you could imagine. Now the Bronx isn't paradise, but it and NYC are much much safer now. How was a place as bad as the Bronx (and the rest of NYC for that matter), able to rise past some of those social ills you mention to at least drastically reduce their crime???? The Bronx dealt with the same problems, so why isn't black-on-black crime as bad there?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with almost all you said, but the Bronx, in the 90s, had all those problems and more. It was literally one of the most crime infested areas you could imagine. Now the Bronx isn't paradise, but it and NYC are much much safer now. How was a place as bad as the Bronx (and the rest of NYC for that matter), able to rise past some of those social ills you mention to at least drastically reduce their crime???? The Bronx dealt with the same problems, so why isn't black-on-black crime as bad there?
I really don't have an answer for that except that there is a culture among Chicago's lower class blacks that hasn't changed. Most crime is intra-racial. Everyone across all ethnics groups is more likely to be victim of crime at the hands of someone of their own ethnicity. It's not just a black people thing.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:24 AM

636 posts, read 612,664 times
Quote:
But people who do drugs could get them easier if they were legal and doing drugs is a crime. So by not making it a crime anymore they win. Not too mention people who do not do drugs I bet would now that they would be so easy to get
So sick of this argument. As someone else said, those that want to do drugs illegally can already obtain them. If everything was decriminalized tomorrow, I don't see a crush of people suddenly becoming methheads or junkies.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
So sick of this argument. As someone else said, those that want to do drugs illegally can already obtain them. If everything was decriminalized tomorrow, I don't see a crush of people suddenly becoming methheads or junkies.
Really because I have heard many people say they would love to try drugs but they do not know how to get them, where to go or do not want too risk getting caught. Make them legal and now they will not have those obstacles

Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,952,648 times
Quote:
Really because I have heard many people say they would love to try drugs but they do not know how to get them, where to go or do not want too risk getting caught. Make them legal and now they will not have those obstacles
Wow. I've literally never heard anybody in my entire life say they would love to try drugs but don't because they are not sure how to get them...And you've heard many people say that, talk about the company you keep.

The point stands, if someone has the urge to shoot poison into their bloodstream, lets tax them. No different than going to the corner store, buying a bottle of Vodka and drinking the whole thing.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Wow. I've literally never heard anybody in my entire life say they would love to try drugs but don't because they are not sure how to get them...And you've heard many people say that, talk about the company you keep.

The point stands, if someone has the urge to shoot poison into their bloodstream, lets tax them. No different than going to the corner store, buying a bottle of Vodka and drinking the whole thing.
You have no clue what kind of company I keep. I think people that do drugs are a losers but the fact is there are many who will start doing them once they are legal which is why it is a horrible idea to legalize something like drugs. Why make it easier for anyone to get drugs when it stops them from taking them now when it is hard to get them. Just what we need more people getting high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago