Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:54 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,507 times

Advertisements

I love Chicago but the problem is that Chicago residents voted for Rahm just because he was friends with Obama. Rahm does not know what the hell is doing as mayor and the police force has given up on him. Chicago needs a new mayor bad.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 775,510 times
DavePa you have good points I agree. Chicago is the best city there is by far but as everyone else has said the big problem now is the mayor! He is the worst and he needs to be gone ASAP! Oh and people who say Chicago is becoming Detroit LOL not even close! That is like comparing **** to gold.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
DavePa you have good points I agree. Chicago is the best city there is by far but as everyone else has said the big problem now is the mayor! He is the worst and he needs to be gone ASAP! Oh and people who say Chicago is becoming Detroit LOL not even close! That is like comparing **** to gold.
Some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago look like some of the nicer parts of Detroit. Detroit has no vibrant downtown core or series of emerald neighborhoods like Chicago does. I wish folks would stop with the Detroit comparisons already. We have problems, but it's not like Detroit. Chicago has haves and have nots. Detroit's just have nots.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago look like some of the nicer parts of Detroit. Detroit has no vibrant downtown core or series of emerald neighborhoods like Chicago does. I wish folks would stop with the Detroit comparisons already. We have problems, but it's not like Detroit. Chicago has haves and have nots. Detroit's just have nots.
I love how sensitive Chicagoans get when Detroit is brought up....So explain to everyone how one bad neighborhood in Chicago (say Englewood) is so much "nicer" than another bad neighborhood in Detroit? I'm always baffled when people try to compare bad neighborhoods. A bad neighborhood is a bad neighborhood, not a lot of differences. Of course Chicago isn't Detroit overall, but there's not a whole lot of difference between the bad sections of Detroit and Chicago (or any other similar, large cities).

Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
Since the vast majority of these Chicago murders are gang related (Black vs Black), it seems ironic that a so called racist President is demanding that the the problem be fixed? Sadly, the black population probably doesn't see this as a positive message through their democratic blinders. What did Obama do during his presidency to help stop the bloodshed in Chicago? That's right, Absolutely Nothing!

You have to at least respect that Trump has put this issue front and center just days after taking office!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Since the vast majority of these Chicago murders are gang related (Black vs Black), it seems ironic that a so called racist President is demanding that the the problem be fixed? Sadly, the black population probably doesn't see this as a positive message through their democratic blinders. What did Obama do during his presidency to help stop the bloodshed in Chicago? That's right, Absolutely Nothing!

You have to at least respect that Trump has put this issue front and center just days after taking office!
I agree. And assuming Trump is not even from Chicago, it'd be nice if he finally puts an end to Chicago crime making him look like doing something Obama could have done, which imo, would up Trump's image.

I think last time people argued, what happens when the National Guard / feds leave? I guess with the new hires, they will stay. They can stay for a year in Chicago if they have to in order to get the crime stay down.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 AM

1,022 posts, read 775,510 times
BRU67 Could not agree more. Comparing Detroit to Chicago makes no sense on any level

Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I love how sensitive Chicagoans get when Detroit is brought up....So explain to everyone how one bad neighborhood in Chicago (say Englewood) is so much "nicer" than another bad neighborhood in Detroit? I'm always baffled when people try to compare bad neighborhoods. A bad neighborhood is a bad neighborhood, not a lot of differences. Of course Chicago isn't Detroit overall, but there's not a whole lot of difference between the bad sections of Detroit and Chicago (or any other similar, large cities).
Have you actually been to Detroit? Their neighborhood just outside of the downtown (their version of our South and West Loop essentially) is just like Englewood. I know this because I was there last year and went to buy a good Cabernet Sauvignon and some Brie at the liquor establishment nearest my classic river front hotel. I ended up in a total chaotic ghetto scene that would have put a Rothchild in south Austin to shame. I rushed out of there with some packaged pickles, Slim Jim's and MGD.

And if you go outside that "nice" area it gets worse, to the point where it's reverting back to Prairie. There is a huge difference I'm sorry.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:12 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,257,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Have you actually been to Detroit? Their neighborhood just outside of the downtown (their version of our South and West Loop essentially) is just like Englewood. I know this because I was there last year and went to buy a good Cabernet Sauvignon and some Brie at the liquor establishment nearest my classic river front hotel. I ended up in a total chaotic ghetto scene that would have put a Rothchild in south Austin to shame. I rushed out of there with some packaged pickles, Slim Jim's and MGD.

And if you go outside that "nice" area it gets worse, to the point where it's reverting back to Prairie. There is a huge difference I'm sorry.
I concur, and have had similar experiences visiting Detroit.

Much of the train of reasoning I see posted why Detroit and Chicago should be considered 'the same' (erroneously, may I add) is because of the segregation and presence of socioeconomically disadvantaged persons in large numbers. Here's a good article from Crain's (written by a Detroit native!) shedding a little more light on why you should not equate the two places per se.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...is-not-detroit

I found this piece interesting too, especially regarding the transportation aspect-
Why Chicago Isn

Old 01-26-2017, 11:38 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,194,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
I think last time people argued, what happens when the National Guard / feds leave? I guess with the new hires, they will stay. They can stay for a year in Chicago if they have to in order to get the crime stay down.
The National Guard isn't legally allowed to police. At best they'd just stand there, like they did in Ferguson. They'd be able to protect various sites, but they wouldn't be able to do CPD's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago