Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 10:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Audiophile View Post
If looting in a city is the fault of the mayor and looting in a state is the fault of the governor, then who is to blame for nationwide protests? There's a name for the leader on a national level, can't remember what it's called, on the tip of my tongue.
I don't think anyone "blames" anyone for protests, which are fine. It's the looting, violence, and destruction of property which are the problem. On that note, I tend to agree with Superintendent Brown's position that it's in no small part the fault of the State's Attorney and our court system for creating an environment where criminals feel they'll face no consequences for their actions. My guess is that logic would extend to other places where such acts are occurring as well.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 AM

629 posts, read 544,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm happy that someone else recognizes that those cops will definitely be acquitted. If the rest of the video footage is anything like the 8 minutes leaked by the Daily Mail, there is no way that they are going to be convicted of murder or even manslaughter. I also think that mass chaos will ensue, and it will be worse if Trump remains President at the time.

you can literally watch the footage right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEG...ture=emb_title

and the autopsy showed he had lethal amounts of meth and fentanyl in his system, also had covid... he most likely died of a stress induced heart attack

the media is disgusting for running with this before all the facts came out, the amount of damage they have caused is unbelievable

Old 08-11-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I never mentioned protests I said looting and rioting and it's nationwide. So if local looting is the fault of local politicians, then nationwide looting is the fault of who.........? Let's all ignore the elephant in the room
Yes you did, you said "nationwide protests." Anyway, do you believe President Trump is responsible for the looting on Sunday night/Monday morning in Chicago? If you do, then I think you have a pretty limited understanding of the underlying social conditions in some of our City's impoverished neighborhoods and in what's going on with our criminal justice system. Or you just want to politicize everything, which isn't helpful.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM

334 posts, read 170,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
you can literally watch the footage right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEG...ture=emb_title

and the autopsy showed he had lethal amounts of meth and fentanyl in his system, also had covid... he most likely died of a stress induced heart attack

the media is disgusting for running with this before all the facts came out, the amount of damage they have caused is unbelievable
He induced his own heart attack! It’s stressful just watching Floyd’s behavior. That whole “don’t shoot me mr officer” from the get-go is a total act, as if he’s afraid of the cops.

The initial coroner report stated Floyd died of a heart attack induced by a combination of extensive coronary heart disease, meth-fentnyol, and the cop’s non-excessive force-restraint. Bottom line is the dude wasn’t deliberately choked out by a rogue cop like the reckless media portrayed

Wonder how long the Floyd murals, especially those with Martin Luther King Jr next to Floyd, are gonna last.

This coupled with Kim Fixx’s progressive law enforcement and Groot’s ineptness, will destroy Chicago.

Last edited by Castlebar; 08-11-2020 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-11-2020, 11:32 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
BLM is claiming the looting equates to protesting and consider their ill gotten gains reparations.

If lawlessness takes the place of the rule of law, you have lost civilized society.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
If looting in a city is the fault of the mayor and looting in a state is the fault of the governor, then who is to blame for nationwide looting? There's a name for the leader on a national level, can't remember what it's called, on the tip of my tongue.
I would think you know better than this statement. Name a city with out of control rioting, arson, vandalism, and disrespect for law and order that's not completely run by liberals. All this is the jurisdiction of THEM, not our federal government. Help is available from the feds, but it's up to them to ask for it. They're too stupid and political to do so. They'd rather pal up with the criminals than the good citizens of their community.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Meant to type looting. If local "looting and rioting" is the fault of the mayor, and statewide "looting" is the fault of the governor, then who is to blame for nationwide "looting" because it's not just Chicago that is experiencing this, this is all over the country. I'm just following the logic. Either you blame leadership or you don't. If you're going to blame mayors for the problems in their cities, then who is to blame for the problems of the country? Obama?
I mean to give you a serious answer, see above. I just think it has a lot to do with the lack of accountability so people feel they can do what they want. I mean I know you want to blame Trump, and he certainly doesn't exactly provide soothing words. But if I get torqued off over, say, Kim Foxx winning the election for State's Attorney after voting against her three times, and then I go out and throw a brick through a window, who is to blame?

I would say that I am to blame. I threw a brick through a window. My hand picked it up, and my arm threw it. But I guess some would say it is Kim Foxx's fault because if not for her I wouldn't have gotten mad. But I don't think that is the right way to look at it.

And to take this a step further. I doubt the people tearing up the Mag Mile a couple days ago were thinking about striking a blow upon Donald Trump. Even Lightfoot, who hates Trump, didn't point the finger at him for this one. She pointed it at our States Attorney. Local unrest in other areas may be caused by different things and has to be examined case by case. But I believe at the end of the day, looting usually happens because people just feel they can get away with violence, even towards cops, and theft with little risk.

That's a shame as it prevents channeling their dislike of the political situation into something more positive. I also believe this is really creating a seriously negative image of Democrats outside of their strong supporters, whether it's all their fault or not.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:53 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Yeah, it's really too bad. I was in town for business and happened to be walking across the river on Michigan Avenue on Sunday night just before midnight. There was no doubt in my mind that something was about to pop off with all of the Divy bikes zipping around (almost unheard of that late on a Sunday) whose riders were openly taunting random people on the streets, including myself. How is/was Lightfoot and her administration this tone deaf to what was happening there? How has she, along with her administration, allowed the Chicago PD to become little more than a reactionary force? Make no mistake, this is exactly why many of these usual cowards feel emboldened to vandalize and steal from people who bear no responsibility for whatever their perceived plight is. They are criminals, plain and simple. They need to be treated as such. And, unfortunately, the only thing they understand is a show of force.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:09 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I would think you know better than this statement. Name a city with out of control rioting, arson, vandalism, and disrespect for law and order that's not completely run by liberals. All this is the jurisdiction of THEM, not our federal government. Help is available from the feds, but it's up to them to ask for it. They're too stupid and political to do so. They'd rather pal up with the criminals than the good citizens of their community.
Exactly, the Democratic party has morphed from something my family used to vote for in the mid-1960's to what it is today. What do you think the most powerful and successful Democrats would think of their party today? I'm talking FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Humphrey - they wouldn't even recognize, and would probably disavow it. Conversely, they (and even Bill Clinton) couldn't get nominated for Democratic Dogcatcher today.

Instead of kicking the "radical fringe" out of the Party, current leaders have accepted them. In 1968, the SDS and other radicals started large riots in Chicago during the Democratic National Convention, which the Democratic Mayor at the time (Richard J. Daley) used the full power of the Chicago Police Department to put down. However, the minority Left Wing of the party saw the potential of bringing the radicals into the fold, and so today, you have Antifa, BLM, etc. fully entrenched in the party. Bernie. Omar, and AOC are the gateway drugs to domination of American society. I hate to say it, but Joe McCarthy was right, Communism is an insidious force that should have been eradicated in the fifties, but simply went underground like a forty-year cicada, and is now back above ground and breeding again.

Maybe Master Jay, working in the prison system, can lay this out without a Google search - Jay, what percentage of Americans are "career criminals?", I remember reading that there is a rather small percentage of people who are responsible for committing the majority of the crimes that occur. Meaning, they repeat the cycle of jail, crime, and more jail their entire lives, or are smart enough to avoid jail to begin with, and live off the rest of society via criminal enterprise - similar to cockroaches or rats. You were absolutely correct in your analysis that if we bow to the ten or twenty percent of neighborhood residents who want to "defund the police", the other eighty or ninety percent will be victimized worse than they are currently, and that's exactly what the "defund the police" crowd wants, is unfettered access to run wild.

I'm thinking it's time for an "Escape from New York" plan, start shipping career criminals to an island somewhere, as England did with Australia. It would be cheaper to buy Greenland or Madagascar than it would be to allow the violent parasites to keep hurting other people, because God knows they aren't getting better, they are getting worse over time.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:23 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
Curly Q. Bobalink, good afternoon. I will be happy to NOT use a google search, given I am trying to get out of the office in about 15 minutes!

Unfortunately, I do not really have the stats you are looking for.

I can tell you this: We certainly do get those repeat offenders. I've been in Waukesha County (west of Milwaukee County) for only 1 year (prior, I worked in Milwaukee County jail for 9 years), and there are a handful of names I recognize right away because they come through the jail.

What's sad, too, is I STARTED in Social Work in 1995 at a residential treatment center for youth. And I have indeed seen some of those young boys (as young as 6 at that time) grow up and come through the adult system.

And as far as demographics goes, I have worked with probably the same demographics you see in our cities: 1/3 White, 1/3 Black, and 1/3 Hispanic.

This reinforces my belief that ALL children need to grow up with positive role models, and hear positive affirmations, and have positive organized activities to belong to, in order to have a better chance of success!

Peace to you all, Chicago. I am out of here! I took a bite out of crime as best as I could today!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago