Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2022, 12:02 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I feel bad for these illegals. Imagine walking for days thru some of the most dangerous parts of the world , make it to the promised land, and get told to get on a bus and they drop you off in Chicago… you’re safer in Honduras with Illinois’ coming elimination of bail
This was supposed to be, like almost ALL countries, a place where one applies to be admitted, not just flood into a country illegally, expecting to be taken care of by the country in general. Your concept of "Illegal" obviously got thrown out the window. It is for sure NOT good for US. It's easy to just point a finger and say well they are downtrodden and need help. But the analysis of those coming across the border illegally (and easily) bringing with them drugs, disease and more is a HUGE part of the equation why it should be stopped altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 12:41 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
These people are mostly economic migrants looking for handouts. You think they’re legitimate refugees?
Are you responding to me personally, or just thinking out loud? Because I can't see how anything I've said would give you any impression about what I think of the legitimacy of their refugee claims or if any of them have even made any such claim.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:48 PM

I was born and raised there but darn glad I'm more than a Thousand miles away from there now. I stuck it out till my later 20's. But I find it fascinating to follow the events going on there. But make no mistake, I have NO admiration for anything other than the restaurants that may still exist there. You couldn't pay me enough to visit again as all those that were family and friends are either deceased or moved away. It is a very very far cry from the memories I had growing up in a area of the south side that, while back when I was growing up in it was like a "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood and is now infested with gangs, shootings, drugs etc. It saddens me to see the denigration of any place let alone any city have to go through what you are enduring. You have a mayor that is beyond a bad joke which certainly doesn't help. The human mind is a interesting thing. It can develop pathways that learn to deal with emotional discomfort with living in such a place as what you put up with. Some resort to drugs or alcohol, so I hope it doesn't get to that point for you all. I suppose some of us choose not to try to be delusional into thinking a relatively unsafe place is just fine. I'm sure it is, till your ticket get's punched so to speak. Good luck.....you'll need it. Your state government alone should be gathered and hung.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:43 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Lightfoot should have no problem with undocumented persons seeing that Chicago is a sanctuary city, the platform which she promoted. Under the Biden administration, Chicago would be getting federal funds as well.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:51 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
dcisive, good morning.

I did not know you had moved THAT far away! Although I do not go to the far south side, I am rather versed in the different areas. Which neighborhood were you from?

Have a great day!

Old 09-13-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
dcisive, good morning.

I did not know you had moved THAT far away! Although I do not go to the far south side, I am rather versed in the different areas. Which neighborhood were you from?

Have a great day!
Jeffrey Manor, the area from Jeffrey Ave over to Yates Ave West to East, and 95th St. to 100th Street. Tons of amazing memories of when that place was so amazing. But then it wasn't hard to find examples of neighborhoods such as that in the 50's into the early 60's. I'd have to say it all went into the toilet after we moved in 1967. Things were already beginning to head in a downward direction. The entire South Shore and SE portions of the city were once extremely clean, relatively clear of crime and vibrant for shopping and more.

Now if one watches news (which I occasionally see online) it's one gang shooting after another usually in one of the parks we played in as kids and had fun. I remember ice skating in what was then called Yates Park when the parks department flooded the large concrete area and we took our skates there and had fun in winters. Played wiffle ball right in the streets till dark. Rode our bikes all over the place never worrying about being harmed. Practiced our pitching against the walls of what was Luella School on 100th st. Those days are GONE no matter how one wishes to alter their mindset. There's a Youtube video of gangs gathering in the yard and street of that school which broke my heart to see. I have to keep reminding myself it's like a cancer. At first it seems manageable and then it takes your life, just like certain factions have done in that city. I'm sorry to tell you I don't see it turning around but rather going in the downward spiral that has been established.

I suppose the good thing for me is I can view it from nothing more than the internet or news having NO connection to that anymore. I prefer to watch old videos transferred from 8mm film my dad took when we were growing up and how the neighborhood was back then. Memories can be a good thing. Too bad the good ones are far and few between in many parts of the city. But I know you are quite the optimist, so I don't want to rain on your parade any further.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:51 AM

dcisive, forgive me if I had already asked you that question in the past.

But either way, thank you for sharing that. They indeed sound like GREAT times!!!!!

Old 09-13-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
dcisive, forgive me if I had already asked you that question in the past.

But either way, thank you for sharing that. They indeed sound like GREAT times!!!!!
I'd say more like "priceless" times. Back then Chicago was very much an amazing City with so many opportunities. Now companies are leaving in droves. Travel on a train or bus was an easy and safe proposition. Sadly, I didn't know Marshall Arts I view the issues as much more far reaching then just a local view. My opinion is that well into the 60's the generations of most (sure there are exceptions) parents where they were NOT teaching their kids from the first days right from wrong. No doubt part of it is due to one parent families being the norm. The most fundamental concept that went out the window was knowing "If it is not yours leave it the heck alone". If you look at the ills of today's society at large they are largely comprised of the failures of both of those concepts being instilled in today's people and the youth of the last generation and more.

Imagine if you will, a city of Chicago without the plethora of gangs it has. Run down destitute neighborhoods, well run city and state governments working for the betterment of the people, not their retirement funds. Taxes that were realistic and fair. You quickly begin to realize you'd have to be on drugs to envision it changing from what I described to a more ideal scenario. I have to admit in a number of ways I'm actually glad my youth is passed. I can't imagine a future there or in so many other places in this country let alone world ahead. The internet is fuller of complaints but no hope of solutions that will actually ever have the slightest chance of happening. So, you have to do your very best to enjoy each day as you're not guaranteed another.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:42 PM

dcisive, once again, thank you for sharing. And I imagine they were, better said, priceless!

We see how some neighborhoods, like Uptown, Maxwell Street area, and Pilsen have improved!

Sadly, as you concur, other areas have become unsafe and concerning! In an ideal world, the neighborhoods would have ONLY remained "priceless" to use your word.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:11 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Gov. J.B. Pritzker is signing a disaster proclamation to secure resources for the asylum-seekers bused to Illinois from Texas and has deployed 75 National Guard members to assist with the logistics of receiving the migrants, he announced Wednesday.

I’m not going to mince words here: The governor of Texas is forcing on New York and (Washington) D.C. and Chicago and potentially other places a needlessly last minute and complex process that is a heartless display of politics over people,” Pritzker said. “Why not give reasonable notice? Why send these folks only to blue cities or blue states? Why isn’t Abbott sending refugees to Mississippi or Oklahoma or Idaho? This is about politics for him.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...4di-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago