Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 10:12 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

Man did that crack me up on the news they were showing the bus load of migrants arriving in Martha's Vineyard and all those Mod cut. were embracing and kissing them saying how bad they feel about their trauma they've been put through. Next I hear they got shipped out. Geez. They just never stop their lies do they

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-21-2022 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 11:19 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Man did that crack me up on the news they were showing the bus load of migrants arriving in Martha's Vineyard and all those Mod cut. were embracing and kissing them saying how bad they feel about their trauma they've been put through. Next I hear they got shipped out. Geez. They just never stop their lies do they
No they do not

Old 09-21-2022, 01:28 PM

63 posts, read 35,020 times
They re-opened up a shutter YMCA in West Ridge in order to temporarily house the current batch of migrants sent here to Chicago. So the good news is it's actually all working out pretty well! A bunch of folks in my condo building got together and donated a bunch of clothes and food, so people are chipping in. https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/09...in-from-texas/

As for Martha's Vineyard, isn't that an island vacation destination that closes down 9 months out of the year? No wonder they decided to re-locate them to an urban center on the mainland, there's basically no resources for an average middle class American in a place like that. I thought it was nice that they put together a special mass for them and made sure they were well taken care of though.

The bitterness from some of the commenters in this thread is entertaining as always. You can always clock a....certain generation online. Thankfully time marches forward.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:59 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,254,543 times
UptownGuy3, good day.

Do you have an address for the YMCA? I'd like to reach out to see if I can assist with a donation.

Thank you.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:13 PM

63 posts, read 35,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
UptownGuy3, good day.

Do you have an address for the YMCA? I'd like to reach out to see if I can assist with a donation.

Thank you.
If you'd like to donate items this link has information.
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/site...vals/home.html

If you'd like to volunteer then use this link.
https://webapps1.chicago.gov/eforms/...erregistration

Old 09-21-2022, 02:41 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
The more that has come out about how some of the asylum seekers might have been blatantly misled, particularly those at Martha's Vineyard, has made me somewhat uncomfortable. Now, I'm not going to fall into the trap that the left tries to create whereby someone shows up claiming to be an asylum seeker or refugee when they are really just an economic migrant or illegal alien.

I doubt very seriously that even a majority of these people being shuttled off to Chicago and elsewhere are genuine asylum seekers. These "asylum seekers" are traversing and bypassing numerous stable countries to make their way to the United States because they see this as a golden opportunity with a passive and enabling administration and elite media. We are talking about our national sovereignty here with millions of illegal arrivals already this year. One would hope that these local arrivals would be a wakeup call to Lightfoot and Illinois politicos that something has to be done before we wake up with a permanent underclass of the unauthorized and illiterate in this country.

Meanwhile, CPD cannot even stop crazy caravans of people celebrating the independence day of a foreign nation from causing gridlock in the heart of Downtown Chicago... Drive down Lake Shore Drive, Roosevelt, and Michigan Avenue this week, and there are burnout rings and skid marks all over the street surfaces.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:16 AM

187 posts, read 185,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Exactly
Right! I say give them housing in Austin and North Lawndale. Those neighborhoods particularly need population and diversity.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:35 AM

187 posts, read 185,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Jeffrey Manor, the area from Jeffrey Ave over to Yates Ave West to East, and 95th St. to 100th Street. Tons of amazing memories of when that place was so amazing. But then it wasn't hard to find examples of neighborhoods such as that in the 50's into the early 60's. I'd have to say it all went into the toilet after we moved in 1967. Things were already beginning to head in a downward direction. The entire South Shore and SE portions of the city were once extremely clean, relatively clear of crime and vibrant for shopping and more.

Now if one watches news (which I occasionally see online) it's one gang shooting after another usually in one of the parks we played in as kids and had fun. I remember ice skating in what was then called Yates Park when the parks department flooded the large concrete area and we took our skates there and had fun in winters. Played wiffle ball right in the streets till dark. Rode our bikes all over the place never worrying about being harmed. Practiced our pitching against the walls of what was Luella School on 100th st. Those days are GONE no matter how one wishes to alter their mindset. There's a Youtube video of gangs gathering in the yard and street of that school which broke my heart to see. I have to keep reminding myself it's like a cancer. At first it seems manageable and then it takes your life, just like certain factions have done in that city. I'm sorry to tell you I don't see it turning around but rather going in the downward spiral that has been established.

I suppose the good thing for me is I can view it from nothing more than the internet or news having NO connection to that anymore. I prefer to watch old videos transferred from 8mm film my dad took when we were growing up and how the neighborhood was back then. Memories can be a good thing. Too bad the good ones are far and few between in many parts of the city. But I know you are quite the optimist, so I don't want to rain on your parade any further.
Well, that explains everything! But, I fail to understand what Jeffrey Manor has to do with Migrants.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:07 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Master Jay asked me where I grew up. So I answered...........excuse me

Old 09-22-2022, 02:47 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,254,543 times
dcisive, good day. And Thank You, again, for sharing those stories about growing up in Jeffrey Manor. I enjoyed hearing about your memories, and it prompted me to do some research on my own.

On another note, I did see an article on the YMCA near Western and Touhy. I'm going to see if I can stop in this weekend and donate some items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago