Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 02:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup, Sun Wah in Little Saigon/Argyle is probably the most popular restaurant for fried duck in the city.
Yes, done this. Very good - out of the way for OP though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 02:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniyasaini View Post
When planning a trip to Chicago and Lincoln, I had to consider whether to spend 3 or 4 nights in the area. Both cities have unique attractions and considerations, so I weighed a few factors to decide.

Firstly, I wanted to fully explore Chicago, known for its iconic landmarks, world-class museums, and vibrant neighborhoods. I knew that 3 nights might feel rushed, so I opted for 4 nights to have ample time to visit popular attractions like Millennium Park, Navy Pier, and the Art Institute of Chicago. Additionally, I wanted to venture into neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Wicker Park to experience their unique charm and vibrant atmosphere.

On the other hand, I considered the cultural experiences available in both cities. Chicago's renowned theater scene, with its Broadway shows and comedy theaters, appealed to me. Meanwhile, Lincoln offered a more intimate and community-oriented atmosphere, with local festivals, farmers' markets, and art galleries showcasing local talent. I wanted to take the time to fully immerse myself in the cultural offerings of both cities, which influenced my decision to extend my stay to 4 nights.

Safety was also an important consideration. While I was aware of Chicago's reputation for crime, I researched the safest neighborhoods and took necessary precautions during my visit. In comparison, Lincoln, a smaller city, generally had a lower crime rate, providing an additional sense of security.

Lastly, the comfort and convenience of my accommodation played a role in my decision. I wanted to find a home away from home that would allow me to relax and recharge after a day of exploring. Considering the added day, I had the opportunity to find the perfect hotel or vacation rental that offered the amenities I desired, such as a comfortable room and convenient access to the attractions.

In conclusion, I ultimately decided to spend 4 nights in the Chicago and Lincoln areas. This allowed me to fully explore the attractions, delve into the cultural experiences, and take the necessary precautions for safety. With an extra day, I could immerse myself in the vibrant city life and make the most of my trip.
What is "Lincoln"? Are you talking about the capital of Nebraska?

Old 06-27-2023, 07:54 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
What is "Lincoln"? Are you talking about the capital of Nebraska?
Could be talking about Lincoln IL. From Chicago use Amtrak Lincoln service trains or the Texas Eagle. Probably spend a night in Lincoln & return next morning. Would have more to do to continue to Springfield IL with all the Lincoln sites.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:57 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
My partner and I live in a small southern city and enjoy getting to a vibrant big city on occasion. Thoughts on 4 nights in your city?

Bring a fire mask:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/healt...theast/1549293

Old 06-30-2023, 09:07 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times
I don't live in Chicago, so I won't speak too much, but one place I'd recommend in the Loop is the Chicago Cultural Center. I believe it's right across Michigan Ave from the AIC. I went back in 2018, and recall it was free (might've changed since the pandemic). There were many wonderful and interesting exhibits. But what stood out most was the Keith Haring mural. Definitely worth checking out.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:37 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I don't live in Chicago, so I won't speak too much, but one place I'd recommend in the Loop is the Chicago Cultural Center. I believe it's right across Michigan Ave from the AIC. I went back in 2018, and recall it was free (might've changed since the pandemic). There were many wonderful and interesting exhibits. But what stood out most was the Keith Haring mural. Definitely worth checking out.
Open from 10am to 5pm except for holidays. Still free. Chicago's first Public Library. Spend about an hour here.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:02 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
I think we have our itinerary balanced between museums, restaurants, and free time now. We arrive Monday and I am certain we will have a blast. The more I researched, the more I realized 4 nights was just a taste. Lol. I will update next weekend as we are visiting July 3-7.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:00 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
I am back to report that we had a grand time during our 4 days. You all have a wonderful city. We did the Architecture Boat Tour from the Chicago Architecture Center (which this forum told me about). That was amazing. The Field Museum is top notch. (I am a scientist so I was able to nerd out.). We did the Art Institute and enjoyed the American art part...the European part is a tough sell after going to the Louvre and Uffizi. The 360 Chicago and Tilt with a drink (or two) at the Cloud Bar at Hancock Tower was great! We also fit in a visit to the Lincoln Park Consevatory and the Zoo...(remember, I'm a science nerd so I loved it

The trip wasn't all museums though. We had great Chinese at Minghin (thanks to the forum's suggestions), pizza at Pequods followed by an evening in Lincoln Park, a wonderful Italian meal on the West Loop at Alla Vita, and Chinese a second time at Shang Noodle. I am still stuffed. Lol.

We also walked the Lakefront and saw Buckingham Fountain and Cloudgate. The weather was wonderful too!

We also found a wonderful piano bar called Redhead in River North that we may have frequented during our trip.

We had a blast! Thanks City Data friends for all of your suggestions!

For any future visitors reading this...
1. Travel: We used a 7 day CTA pass and loved it. We rode from Ohare to our hotel, up and down Michigan Ave. for 4 days, and to Midway for our departure for $20/person. Can't beat it...and no, nothing bad happened. Thanks CTA!.
2. If you want good restaurant reservations, start a month out. Chicago takes their dining seriously. I had to take a 445pm reservation to get in at one place 10 days out... after my first 4 choices were completely booked. This is not a reserve 2 or 3 days out City for the good spots...you have been warned!
3. If you find yourself by the Chicago Athletic Club, go up to Cindy's and get an overpriced cocktail and go to the Terrace, it's worth it!
4. Having done Willis Tower and 360 Chicago Deck. The latter is better if you want to splurge on a view.
5. Have fun. I will definitely return. Chicago is definitely fun and we just scratched the surface, although we did a lot!. I also especially loved the last day when it was 73 and breezy...just gorgeous weather.

Thanks City Data friends for all of your suggestions! I have nothing but good things to say! Chicago is a wonderful city that is on the short list of repeat destinations as there is so much left to do! I'm thinking Christmas!

Old 07-08-2023, 01:05 AM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
Glad to know you had a great trip!

Old 07-08-2023, 06:38 AM

253 posts, read 123,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Thanks City Data friends for all of your suggestions! I have nothing but good things to say! Chicago is a wonderful city that is on the short list of repeat destinations as there is so much left to do! I'm thinking Christmas!
Good for you! It sounds as if you packed a lot into your stay. The Christmas season is another good time of year to visit. The city gets all decked out, as do the major retailers and restaurants. I will already make a recommendation: Spend some time at the outdoor Christkindlmarket in Daley Plaza, then walk a few blocks south to have an authentic German-style meal at The Berghoff, a restaurant that first opened in 1898. It has a great old-world look in the bar area - lots of wood and Bavarian-inspired decor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago