Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 11:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the nice report, midgeorgiaman. Sounds like you made the most of your visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 11:57 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I am back to report that we had a grand time during our 4 days. You all have a wonderful city. We did the Architecture Boat Tour from the Chicago Architecture Center (which this forum told me about). That was amazing. The Field Museum is top notch. (I am a scientist so I was able to nerd out.). We did the Art Institute and enjoyed the American art part...the European part is a tough sell after going to the Louvre and Uffizi. The 360 Chicago and Tilt with a drink (or two) at the Cloud Bar at Hancock Tower was great! We also fit in a visit to the Lincoln Park Consevatory and the Zoo...(remember, I'm a science nerd so I loved it

The trip wasn't all museums though. We had great Chinese at Minghin (thanks to the forum's suggestions), pizza at Pequods followed by an evening in Lincoln Park, a wonderful Italian meal on the West Loop at Alla Vita, and Chinese a second time at Shang Noodle. I am still stuffed. Lol.

We also walked the Lakefront and saw Buckingham Fountain and Cloudgate. The weather was wonderful too!

We also found a wonderful piano bar called Redhead in River North that we may have frequented during our trip.

We had a blast! Thanks City Data friends for all of your suggestions!

For any future visitors reading this...
1. Travel: We used a 7 day CTA pass and loved it. We rode from Ohare to our hotel, up and down Michigan Ave. for 4 days, and to Midway for our departure for $20/person. Can't beat it...and no, nothing bad happened. Thanks CTA!.
2. If you want good restaurant reservations, start a month out. Chicago takes their dining seriously. I had to take a 445pm reservation to get in at one place 10 days out... after my first 4 choices were completely booked. This is not a reserve 2 or 3 days out City for the good spots...you have been warned!
3. If you find yourself by the Chicago Athletic Club, go up to Cindy's and get an overpriced cocktail and go to the Terrace, it's worth it!
4. Having done Willis Tower and 360 Chicago Deck. The latter is better if you want to splurge on a view.
5. Have fun. I will definitely return. Chicago is definitely fun and we just scratched the surface, although we did a lot!. I also especially loved the last day when it was 73 and breezy...just gorgeous weather.

Thanks City Data friends for all of your suggestions! I have nothing but good things to say! Chicago is a wonderful city that is on the short list of repeat destinations as there is so much left to do! I'm thinking Christmas!
I'm glad the recommendations worked out for you and that you had a good visit! Minghin was a good call. Next time, if you go farther afield, I recommend trying Sun Wah for their Beijing Duck and Crispy Roast Pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago