Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 06:41 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,916 times

Advertisements

Hello Chicago friends. I came to your city in March 2019 on business and loved what little I could do on a work trip. I have booked a Monday to Friday trip over July 4th. My question is...Will this be too long for a touristy trip? We plan to stay near Grant Park and see the Fountain, bean, Field Museum, Art Institute, Museum of science and industry, Robie House, Willis Tower, Jazz at the Shedd ( love aquariums and jazz), go to some nice tasting menu restaurants, visit Chinatown for some great food, some Deep Dish pizza, and other things.

So I met Chicago natives this weekend on a visit to Palm Springs and they said we would be bored after 2 days. I don't see that and part of me wants to chalk it up to suburbanites who moved and just want to justify their move, but Chicago isn't NYC, so is my itinerary for 4 days lively and fun or will I be twittling my thumbs on day 4?

My partner and I live in a small southern city and enjoy getting to a vibrant big city on occasion. Thoughts on 4 nights in your city? And any suggestions for the best restaurants in Chinatown are welcomed! (My home city has zero great Chinese restaurants). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 06:50 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
I cannot believe a Chicagoan would say that you would be bored after two days. I'm pushing 30 years and I'm still not bored. With 4 nights, you can barely scratch the surface.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I cannot believe a Chicagoan would say that you would be bored after two days. I'm pushing 30 years and I'm still not bored. With 4 nights, you can barely scratch the surface.
Thanks for responding. I deep down knew they were full of it, but when a native starts downplaying their hometown it can cause doubt. I am excited to come visit without work obligations. I know we will have a great time!

Old 04-19-2023, 07:56 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Hello Chicago friends. I came to your city in March 2019 on business and loved what little I could do on a work trip. I have booked a Monday to Friday trip over July 4th. My question is...Will this be too long for a touristy trip? We plan to stay near Grant Park and see the Fountain, bean, Field Museum, Art Institute, Museum of science and industry, Robie House, Willis Tower, Jazz at the Shedd ( love aquariums and jazz), go to some nice tasting menu restaurants, visit Chinatown for some great food, some Deep Dish pizza, and other things.

So I met Chicago natives this weekend on a visit to Palm Springs and they said we would be bored after 2 days. I don't see that and part of me wants to chalk it up to suburbanites who moved and just want to justify their move, but Chicago isn't NYC, so is my itinerary for 4 days lively and fun or will I be twittling my thumbs on day 4?

My partner and I live in a small southern city and enjoy getting to a vibrant big city on occasion. Thoughts on 4 nights in your city? And any suggestions for the best restaurants in Chinatown are welcomed! (My home city has zero great Chinese restaurants). Thanks!
The places you mention could be fine. Check the schedule for Cubs games in Wrigley. In summer could be boat from Union Station to Michigan Ave. The company may offer downtown boat tours + go to Navy Pier. From Navy Pier should be lakefront tours.

As for museums check if something is different at Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science & Industry, Art Institute.

Because of recent crime waves may not do shopping on North Michigan Ave or anywhere on State street. Could try Lincoln Park & the zoo.

Something tells me those Chicago natives don't go to the museums & only watch Cub games on TV.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:25 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
I'm shocked that no one tried to redirect you from the downtown area, given the most recent weekend situation that took place there.

I, myself, am leery that similar situations will continue as the weather gets warmer. And believe me, I try to be as positive as I can.

That said, as far as I know, the downtown area is completely fine to explore especially during the day.

My personal favorite ways to explore are to use the L trains (which you may want coaching on those, as well)... There's also a DIVVY bicycle program.

I love exploring the different neighborhoods and trying the different ethnic foods. Oh, and neighborhood street fests! You can do that by L train, DIVVY bike, etc.

I hope the weather agrees with your liking. I would say...... Go for 4 days!!

Old 04-20-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
The places you mention could be fine. Check the schedule for Cubs games in Wrigley. In summer could be boat from Union Station to Michigan Ave. The company may offer downtown boat tours + go to Navy Pier. From Navy Pier should be lakefront tours.

As for museums check if something is different at Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science & Industry, Art Institute.

Because of recent crime waves may not do shopping on North Michigan Ave or anywhere on State street. Could try Lincoln Park & the zoo.

Something tells me those Chicago natives don't go to the museums & only watch Cub games on TV.
I like the boat tour idea. I will check into that. Sounds great. I'm not a big shopper so that part while sad doesn't deter me. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I'm shocked that no one tried to redirect you from the downtown area, given the most recent weekend situation that took place there.

I, myself, am leery that similar situations will continue as the weather gets warmer. And believe me, I try to be as positive as I can.

That said, as far as I know, the downtown area is completely fine to explore especially during the day.

My personal favorite ways to explore are to use the L trains (which you may want coaching on those, as well)... There's also a DIVVY bicycle program.

I love exploring the different neighborhoods and trying the different ethnic foods. Oh, and neighborhood street fests! You can do that by L train, DIVVY bike, etc.

I hope the weather agrees with your liking. I would say...... Go for 4 days!!
While not naive, I'm not overly concerned with crime. I go to Atlanta and other cities often and well, all cities have their challenges. We are pretty aware of our surroundings and have taken public transit in NYC, Atlanta, Rome, etc., but we typically Uber at night in a strange city. I always am a bit more cautious traveling vs commuting through areas I know well. I took the Red Line during my business trip in 2019 and other than the occasional fool going from car to car trying to look tough, it was uneventful and got us where we wanted quickly and cheaply. If the weather isn't too muggy, the bike might make the "must do" list. My business trip was in March and a bike was NOT an option then. Brrrrrr. The lakefront by bike sounds wonderful as long as there isn't a bad heat wave that week and as a Georgian, as long as it's under 95, I am ok.

I will definitely do more research on unique food locales as you suggest as that is my favorite part of traveling! I'm definitely sticking with 4 days. It should be great. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:57 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
midgeorgianman, that sounds great!

Reach out if you'd like some suggestions on parks, museums, neighborhoods, or restaurants, etc!!!!

Old 04-20-2023, 07:34 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
I'd also recommend doing the architecture boat tour on the Chicago River. They leave from Navy Pier. You won't be bored after such a short time!

Old 04-20-2023, 03:40 PM

219 posts, read 135,780 times
If you're into food then you're in for a treat. Chinatown has dozens of really good places. You can't go wrong with Lao Sze Chuan, try their fish. If you want something more authentic try the Original Triple Crown. I think they're BYOB. If you like deserts you have to go to a bakery in Chinatown. I like Feida's, it's a hole in the wall that only takes cash but it's really good. If you like Vietnamese food you should check out Argyle St. You also mentioned jazz, The Green Mill or Andy's is the place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago