Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times

Advertisements

Well, we have to accept Burris. After all, rejecting him would be the equivalent of lynching him, per Bobby Rush. Wasn't the election of Obama supposed to signal the end of this kind of nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:52 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Because the Black "mafia" ( Bobby the Booby Rush, assorted preachers,Emil Jones, Jesse Jackson Jr.,etc...) are going to attempt to force the next Governor to appoint Burris as well.

You heard it here first.

RB is well liked by Quinn,Jesse White, and a host of others.
I think you missed the part where Jesse White (who dislikes Rod) said he would not sign the certification of Burris. It turns out that it is not a legal requirement for the sec'y of state to do so, but it was a nice statement on Jesse's part. Also, Obama says Burris should not be seated.

A 'black mafia'? Folks should understand that in IL there are several factions among black politicians. Remember Obama ran against Bobby Rush? Remember Jesse, Jr. and the Dolton twins? Remember Emil Jones ran against Jesse, Jr.?

No matter how well Burris is like by a host of IL politicos, this time, despite Rush playing the race card, folks are against the nomination. These folks include Quinn, Jesse White "and a host of others".

Old 12-31-2008, 09:10 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Because the Black "mafia" ( Bobby the Booby Rush, assorted preachers,Emil Jones, Jesse Jackson Jr.,etc...) are going to attempt to force the next Governor to appoint Burris as well.

You heard it here first.

RB is well liked by Quinn,Jesse White, and a host of others.
This occurred to me as well. I mean Burris was AG like 15 years ago. It isn't like he's been active in anything recently. I think Blago was just looking for a black seat warmer to stir up a hornet's nest, because you know the whole "but there is no black Senator" mob will come out in full force, as if color has anything to do with it. On one hand, the move is rather strategically brilliant. On the other hand, it's simply mad. But, much like King Lear, there is a kernal of truth in madness. I guess what I'm saying is that Blago knows exactly what he's doing. As crazy as he seems, there is a method to his madness. He's giving the big political finger to the people of IL, and providing nationwide drama by flaunting his bravado, and getting others to fight amongst one another. The theatre in the round. And so it goes....Act II is unfolding

Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Agree on the brilliant, but mad aspect .. he certainly isn't going to go quietly..But, not sure he's really 'giving the finger' ..Giving the finger would have been appointing a republican like Oberweis, or, even better yet, Alan Keyes .. now THAT would have been the finger !! With what he's done, he's created the 'play within a play', and at least we do get a competent (?) senator out of it for a while..But being down one senator isn't so bad when you have a 'native son' in the White House and a senior senator w/ the majority party firmly entrenched..

Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think you missed the part where Jesse White (who dislikes Rod) said he would not sign the certification of Burris. It turns out that it is not a legal requirement for the sec'y of state to do so, but it was a nice statement on Jesse's part. Also, Obama says Burris should not be seated.

A 'black mafia'? Folks should understand that in IL there are several factions among black politicians. Remember Obama ran against Bobby Rush? Remember Jesse, Jr. and the Dolton twins? Remember Emil Jones ran against Jesse, Jr.?

No matter how well Burris is like by a host of IL politicos, this time, despite Rush playing the race card, folks are against the nomination. These folks include Quinn, Jesse White "and a host of others".
Manigault is right about this. There is no black consensus in Illinois, and several political factions exist within the larger black community. The only consensus that seems to exist is that the black political community wants a black Senate candidate to replace Barack Obama. While I think it would be nice to have more black Senators, I don't think this type of forced diversity is valid at all. Race should have nothing to do with the selection of a Senator, as aw shucks Polly Anna as that sounds. I realize the political realities in a state like Illinois are not so fair, however. And the Democratic party in Illinois has to do whatever necessary to placate the black community to keep its base of power.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Roland sounded like a clown this morning on WLS. I am not so sure this guy has all his gears working anymore.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Roland sounded like a clown this morning on WLS. I am not so sure this guy has all his gears working anymore.
Hold up weren't you the one telling me couple of weeks ago that Blago won't make it until the 1st of the year........you know as much about Illinois politics as I do about Mars!!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Hold up weren't you the one telling me couple of weeks ago that Blago won't make it until the 1st of the year........you know as much about Illinois politics as I do about Mars!!
You must be a NASA scientist.

So I am off a little bit with a prediction and that equals no knowledge of a broader subject matter?
How many times do financial analysts make incorrect predictions? Does that mean they have no knowledge? How many times do sports writers make predictions that do not come to fruition?

Your comment was plenty ignorant.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, what else does the guy have going on in his life? It's not like he had any future political ambitions to be tainted by accepting this position. He hasn't been in office for, what, 15 years or something? It's a win-win: Blago gets to continue being a defiant a-hole, and Burris' political career is temporarily revived without him having to lift a finger, plus he has no worries about how this will affect his political future, because he already had none. And I bet that Congressional pension won't bother Burris too much either.
This will not revive his career, he is basically doing nothing but throwing away his reputation as an elder statesman and sane human being. Before this he was a respected figure in Illinois politics who served on many Dem party boards and committees. Each time he gets in front of cameras and starts blathering about how his appointment is in no way related to Blago's conviction he loses the respect and dignity he built up over a long career.

Also, he has a consulting firm and law practice that aren't going to be getting any business at this point.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
Agree on the brilliant, but mad aspect .. he certainly isn't going to go quietly..But, not sure he's really 'giving the finger' ..Giving the finger would have been appointing a republican like Oberweis, or, even better yet, Alan Keyes .. now THAT would have been the finger !! With what he's done, he's created the 'play within a play', and at least we do get a competent (?) senator out of it for a while..But being down one senator isn't so bad when you have a 'native son' in the White House and a senior senator w/ the majority party firmly entrenched..
I tend to think he IS giving IL the big political finger every day just by being in office. That's what I meant. This latest move is just another flip of the bird. Every time he does or says anything, he's giving the state the finger. It matters little what he does or says, but that he keeps doing it is the bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago