Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 AM

1 posts, read 18,482 times

Advertisements

The Nimbus which was located in Dolton, Il was part of the Ramada Inn. The bouncers were Shaolin Disciples. The Nimbus was reviewed and rated by Playboy Magazine in 1979 as being one of the top three Discos in the World along with Studio 54 and Xenon. It had these spinning glass pyramids that were situated on the stage and a flashing dance floor with multicolor lights. This was by far the most elegant of the discos in the Chicagoland area. Let me know if you need a contact for photos of the place or some more history. There were private rooms and various levels to the place. Another great place was the Charlie Club in Chicago. I believe it was the top four floors of the Ambassador hotel, but I could be wrong, it was so long ago. The Doorchester Senior Center is where the Nimbus used to reside in Dolton. The person who was in charge of maintenance and security of the building then is the same person that is in charge of it now. He can tell you everything you need to know about this fabulous club. He has several photos of the interior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 36,499 times
My boyfriend of 3 years was the owner of Bubbas Zone one disco. It's nice to hear positive things about his old place. He is still a good dancer, and we love to go dancing to the old disco tunes which are usually only played these days at class reunions and dinner dance benefits, like for "Paws" humane society in Rockford recently.
I can't wait to show him this! Lot's of people still call him Bubba. I just call him John. He still lives in that neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 19,401 times
Man i just stumbled on this site today, but as a kid from the 70's i remember Blinkers Disco on Broadway and Briar which was called New Town back then. the front of the place had a tilted square frame glass front with a bubble window.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 18,253 times
Hi, I am writing a book and I need some information on disco clubs in the Chicago area, I need one that was around in 1976 and I'm looking for one that was a little Saturday night feverish and also a little Studio 54ish, or one similar to the one in the movie Thank God it's Friday. Any information given would be so helpful!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 18,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwsinTxs View Post
Hey everybody,
I'm working on a novel, and I need to know the name of any disco club that was located in Chicago, in the 1970's....specifically, in 1974

All I need is the name of the club, but if you have firsthand knowledge of it, I'd love to know any other details, the location, names of owners, looks of the club interioir or exterior, if they had any particular 'theme' as far as decor etc etc.

Thanks!

dws
I am trying to find the videos of some urban dances of the 70's that i did back then, particularly the "Spank". But, there was a disco call "Dingbats" that was just north of downtown and slightly east, Mr. T was the bouncer at the door, it catered to pulling people there before they left downtown for home, it opened at 4pm. Mirrored walls, 2 long bars and a lot of fun. Mr T's first name was Tero. There was a disco very far north on Broadway called "The Machine" completely dark, you never saw outside and it was open till 5am, constant music. Another disco called The 32 Fusion, I believe it was on Clark and maybe Division, maybe a few blocks south of that, very sophisticated. Attire, was dress to impress, $3.00 cover charge
Lee Green
[EMAIL="lgreen6960@aol.com"]lgreen6960@aol.com[/EMAIL]

Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 36,499 times
Sat. night feverish, Bubbas Zone 1 disco had a lighted dance floor. . .the owner always had an entourage of people around him. He is very charismatic. There are a lot of good stories involved, but heck. i am going to write that book. Pink

Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 AM

7 posts, read 89,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURGEDS View Post
SASAFRAS - It was located ate harlem and Irving - - across the stree from a records store.

The Giraffe - on Mannheim Rd in Schiller Park in the holiday Inn

SOPs on River Rd and in Arlington Heights

The Nickel Bag - Schiller Park

Thirsty Whale - River Grove

PS Chicago - Division

BBC - Division

Faces - Rush St

Snuggery

Runions
S.O.P.'s in Glenview (Some Other Place) was huge and drew a great crowd. Chicago Bull players and others as well as some great dancers and regulars. Name was changed around 1976 to McGreevey's and remained a good spot for a few years. I believe it later became another Butch MaGuire's.

Banana's on Clark? Great DJ

Coconut's same street? Had a great floor show, but was heavily a known Gay hangout.

BBC I believe is the place Mr. T is really famous for working at

Snuggery was sort of a snob crowd and poor dancing, more for pickups

Nickel Bag and The Thirsty Whale were never disco's. I went to school with the Whale's owner's kids. It always was a live "rock" venue

123 on Diversey from the beginning and now into it's 3rd name and still in biz, same owner for all 3, always had a great Dj, fun entertainment, special nights and the best Ladies Nights around. Not to mention the awesome bartenders.

Cinderella Rockafella- cool place, overpriced, either so crowded you couldn't move or totally empty

Club Kisses, the best of the best, champaigne was always flowing and not any cheap stuff. The awesome live entertainment sometimes big names, randomly showing up (like the Little People), comfy couches in front of the dance floor, great food aka Duck L'Orange, Shrimp Cocktail in an attached room. Brought in the likes of Chicago Bears Walter Peyton, Noah Jackson, Dave Williams, Chicago Sting's Rudy Glenn and others. It was multicultural at it's best too. Tightly run by manager Tony Pedone, it was never boring and the floor was always crowded. So much fun we are still talking about it to this day.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
The 123 on Diversey near Central
Hespers on Belmont near Austin
Bananas on Broadway near Foster
Studio 31 on Fullerton near Hamlin
Xanadu on Broadway near Devon

The 123 was and is great though now called Stereo

Xanadu, was pretty cool, but very dark

Studio 31 Where are Ralph and Jimmy these days???

Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That place has been a Polish nightclub (Jedynka) for several years now.
Pete stills owns 123> Jedynka> Stereo (there is a forum on FB for it)

Old 11-25-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild138 View Post
Hey. My fiancee's father used to own a club called The Devil's Palace, in Harvey. I've been looking for some information about it...does anybody remember anything? Most of the stories she has about the joint are anecdotal, as she was really young when he sold it. It also went by the name The Image Palace at some point. She'd love to hear some stories of what the place was like and who performed there.

Don't know of it.
Harvey was a no man's land back in the 70's. Nobody even lived out there yet except for a few farmers, but it may have drawn people from Schaumburg and Rockford areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago