Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Anyone with the chops to merit admission to either the highly competitive undergrad or graduate programs at UofC would be a fool to give a second thought to enrolling for fears of crime especially if they live inside the area patrolled by campus security which includes a rather large chunk of Hyde Park...
The security zone includes Woodlawn and Kenwood, i.e. from 63rd to 47th street, Cottage Grove to the lake, so it is all of Hyde Park. The university of Chicago has long been contrasted with places like Columbia University because most of the faculty at UofC actually live in the neighborhood. And, yes, one can see a Nobel laureate now and then walking down 57th street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
Actually, the area of coverage for the U of C Police has expanded in the last few years . From their site:

"This professionally trained force operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from 37th to 65th Streets and Cottage Grove Avenue to Lake Shore Drive."

I knew that had broadened their coverage, but not to that extent .

Guessing in response to the changing community, and possibly because CPD eliminated ( consolidated) the 21st District . Don't know if the kiosks/call posts have been deployed in the newer areas.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Now that I don't live there, I love southern accents. Mix in some of the polite tone. You've got me.

I also love New Jersey accents. New Yorkers are cool too but you can never win an argument with them. They will chew you out with less than five words and you will never be right from that point.
Most people hate the NJ accent. But I agree with you.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:05 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Most people hate the NJ accent. But I agree with you.
How does one begin to quantify that?

Old 12-15-2013, 02:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
...because Obama comes back to Chicago every month, right?

she hates it when obama comes to town and it disrupts people who live on the block trying to get home. its aggravating enough when that happens.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
They close all the streets??? In Hyde Park? No!!!!

I live a few blocks east and my street has not been closed because the President is in town. Never!!!!

I agree with the accent comment. Every side of Chicago has an accent. West side accent is the most annoying. Lots of slurring and and loud barking. Can't understand them at all.

If your friend doesn't feel safe in Hyde Park they are right in moving. People have to live where they have peace of mind. Understand also most don't leave Hyde Park because of crime.
No, just her block they close! She happens to live on the same block that obama's house is on. i guess the police let residents thru but its very very slow and annoying. especially if she is picking up her kids from school and has groceries.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yes! I lived in Memphis for 5.6121 years and I'm writing about west siders accents being annoying.

It took me a while to get use to the southern accent but west siders sound like they are angry all the time.

Memphians have a serious twang! There is also some slang but Chicago has slang to. Especially west siders.
A visitor came to the job, she was from Georgia, her name was Pryor. She proncounced it PROR (O as in otter). It took me awhile to understand she was saying Pryor.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:10 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The security zone includes Woodlawn and Kenwood, i.e. from 63rd to 47th street, Cottage Grove to the lake, so it is all of Hyde Park. The university of Chicago has long been contrasted with places like Columbia University because most of the faculty at UofC actually live in the neighborhood. And, yes, one can see a Nobel laureate now and then walking down 57th street.
Hyde Park proper, just to be clear, is 51st to 60th east of Cottage Grove. The adjacent part of Kenwood, south of 47th, is a lot like Hyde Park, and some people call 47th to 60th "Hyde Park-Kenwood". Woodlawn from 60th to 63th is a changing (improving) neighborhood but there is more of a crime problem there. The area north of 47th (North Kenwood up to 43rd, then Oakland) is also improving.

I saw Gary Becker the other day (58th Street not 57th).

Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
I went to the Oriental Institute today for the first time (somehow only the first time). What a wonderful museum.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
No, just her block they close! She happens to live on the same block that obama's house is on.
That block has been closed for years whether the president is here or not. Yet folks seem to get to the synagogue on that block every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago