Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

LOL Im the same way. In summer I long for winter, in winter I long for summer.

I dont think Chicago winters are really that bad. They can be bad at times, no doubt, but on a whole are completely liveable. People make it out to be ND or Alaska or Canada here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Having grown up in the deep south, I definitely prefer the cold winters here to the hot summers down there.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Several years ago I departed Chicago to live in Frankfurt, Germany. The winters there are mild, not being unusual to hit the lower 50s in January. Once the high temps were in the upper teens. Everyone complained and moaned about the "bitter cold".
I returned to experience the summer of 1995, when the heat (about 105) broke records and about 300 people died.
That following winter I had a by-pass done on my car's cooling system to prevent leaking. Couldn't afford to have it fixed. That meant I drove for the whole winter without heat. Even with gloves my fingers became numb holding the wheel, and I had to stop off for a warm-up coffee on my way home from work. Driving without heat in the winter is a good test of Chicago style hardiness, plus I was glad to be back home.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post

Is it really that bad?

I've lived in snow before, but we were in the mountains...what do you all do in the winters for fun? How do you prepare? How do you heat your homes? What would one advise a californian girl to do?

BTW I've looked into some suburbs there and Naperville seems to be a good fit, but can anyone tell me why the property taxes are so high? I noticed that it also covers two counties, is it the same city, or divided Any info would be appreciated, I have never been to the midwest, but you all seem nice enough.
Winter isn't the problem. Chicago has no Spring. That is the problem. Itis always misunderstood. Winter is winter and yes it is cold and windy often. The weather is not good January through end of May as far as temperatures are concerned.

The other aspect is days of sunshine. Chicgao doens't get a ton of those. Very gray city much of the year.

However when it is sunny, in early to late summer....it is a great place, 2nd to none.

If weather is a big issue for you, visit during February.

Personally I wouldn't live West of 294 but I am a city person and believe if you can't live in or near the city, life would be much better and easier in a different city. How often do you think you will get to the city in Naperville is the question? Otherwise, some solid cities out there with better weather and easier commute from suburbs. Only my opinion and take with a grain of salt. That part of townis very nice, good schools, etc....it's just out a ways from the city and traffic in chicago's suburbs are awful. If you plan on not working in city, or spending much time in it, you will do fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hello! Winters can be tough at times, no doubt. Youre guaranteed a few days in the winter where the highs will only be in the single digits. The rest of winter can be anywhere from 20-50 degrees, it changes all the time. It will certainly be colder than Cali, especially SoCal. There are winter fests to keep you busy, ice skating on the ponds or at rinks (Millenium Park and Navy Pier have one in the winter), cross country skiing along the lake or in parks, sledding at toboggan parks, you can also drive to Wisconsin or NW Illinois and hit some ski resorts, but be warned, its NOT Vail but a fun time nonetheless. Chicago doesnt come to a standstill when it snows, which is nice. Things get slowed a bit, and unlike the rest of the country, we dont hide when it snows, things go on as usual.

As for Naperville, its a giant suburb with everything in the world to do and a great downtown with a good nightlife scene. Property taxes are high because its in DuPage County, a county notorious for its high taxes. You should love it here, there are hundreds of suburbs all with different personalities and tons of things to do. If youve been to San Fran and liked it, youll love Chicago. Think of Chicago as SanFran times 5.

I disagree with this opinion. Chciago isn't San Francisco times 5. Both are great cities, but imo you can do just as much if not more in San Francisco and the Bay area than Chicago. I like both cities, ...big fan of SF.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Thanks for the responses. As of right now I'm in the bay area and definately love san francisco, but we cannot afford to live here, it's just OUTRAGEOUS!

When you're shopping for homes and can't find ANYTHING under $600 (that doesn't need major work, like a new kitchen, bathrooms, roof's, ect..., it's time for a change.

Chicago is much cheaper than the Bay area. However Chicago has really gotten much more expensive in the past 10-15 years. And is not a cheap place by any means. It is cheap compared to SF or NYC, but it is expensive compared to some other parts of the country. You'll do fine with cost in Chicago from your previous experiences.

I am a bigger fan of Evanston, Oak Park etc...which would remind one more of San Francisco....than the cokkie cutter spread out vast planned commuties West of 294...however they are cheaper and you get more for your buck. Good luck.,

Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I agree...San Fran all the way....totally different. I'm going to cry thinking about it

Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I agree...San Fran all the way....totally different. I'm going to cry thinking about it
sorry...your posting quickly fishtacos....what I mean is....I would not compare chicago to san francisco....and personally I prefer San Francisco in most categories...but I think the cities are quite different.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I love Chicago winters for the most part. I get my kicks by driving my car on frozen lakes (though any more you have to go up to Wisconsin to do that) and I enjoy the challenge of facing below-zero temperatures. I love driving in snow and I wish everyone else would stay off the roads when it snows so I could have my fun. But I'm ready to be done with it by mid-February, and sometimes the winter stretches well into March. I think we even got a sprinkling of snow in April this year. I love the four seasons, but I just wish the winter season was about a month shorter.

Around here, 600K will buy you a three-story house in move-in condition in a safe area if you look in the right neighborhoods.
LOL....gotta love the homerism, good for you...but anyone who tells this person Chicago has 4 seasons is lying. There is no Spring, period. Winters are very cold, and the problem is that bad and iffy weather extends imo through the end of May...not March. Don't believe me, spend a lot of time at Wrigley Field in April.

This poster should picture the worst of Bay Area windy cool days, for winter and it is colder than that....however summers are nicer than SF....probably the only season in which Chciago will have better weather than SF.

Chicago is a great place to be and live, one of the better American cities out there, with lots to offer. Weather generally speaking is not one of them, and that's just how it is...

Last edited by Fishtacos; 06-05-2007 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-05-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
southern winters are *nothing* like chicago winters. nothing. at all. zip.
Agree completely with this post. You forgot to also add no Spring in Chicago when it is beautiful in the South. Again I like Chicago a lot, but I will not mislead anyone about its weather. SF has better weather than Chicago, even with fog, windy, cool layered clothes days in SF.

And there is zero comparing Chicago winters to ATL etc...zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago