Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 PM

134 posts, read 891,365 times

Advertisements

As an unbeliever myself I would not want my significant other to try to force anything on me.

If, before we got into a serious relationship we knew each other had different beliefs (non-beliefs) I think we should respect that but if our difference of opinions were discovered after we got into a serious relationship I think communication should be open but not forceful. If after a time of open communication it was still a cause of contention than maybe the relationship wasn't meant to be in the first place so.......MOVE ON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 02:56 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,422 times
Believing in "unevenly yoked, evenly yoked, etc" only causes seperation. When we let go of that false belief and learn to live in love, there can be no seperation. Just because something is written, does not make it true. We seperate ourselves through beliefs, or lack thereof, because it has been taught to us and it has become so ingrained that we fear the letting it go and just being. Being Love to each other without boundaries. There are no boundaries in God's universe. It's human who put the conditions on Love and who wonder why things don't or can't work out. Live in Love and let go and let God. Silly beliefs only hinder our spiritual progress. Be Love to each other and you'll go farther than anything you ever imagined. Beliefs don't matter when you Love.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
How to help a nonbeliever believe? First your premise is wrong, non-believers don't need "help", as he is obviously has no problems with his non-belief. You can't help a person up, that is already standing

All you will accomplish is to push them away, probably not a bad thing, for him. You are setting yourself up for failure.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
I know you asked for advice from Christians - but as a non-believer myself (like wccb above) there is nobody that could "help" be believe anything. If you truly love this person - then you love all of them. I've made the mistake of loving someone and thinking I could change him. Our entire relationship was sort of like a tug of war - each of us trying to change things about each other that we thought would turn the person into the person that would make us happiest. Then I met my husband. I love him as he is for who he is. He isn't perfect -but I wouldn't change a hair on his head. Your faith (or lack there of) and your beliefs are a HUGE part of who you are (I mean the general you - not you in particular). That is something you can't just change. I think that if you really love this person - you love them for who they ARE - not for who you WANT them to be. I mean - you aren't asking them to throw out a chair that you don't like - you are asking them to change their whole belief system. I think that's a little too much to ask of anyone. Are you willing to GIVE UP your faith for them? If what you have is true love - you can make it work - but not if it's only true love IF they change who they are. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Maybe there's something wrong with June (a distinct possibility, she might conjecture!) but she just doesn't get this "unequally yoked" thing. --She understands it in theory, but the fact remains, June knows an awful lot of nonbelievers who are married to believers, and visa versa. So June can't help but wonder whether the underlying issue that would, could make or break the OP's relationship is the following:

Do you have a genuine sense of respect for this person, and respect for what they do/don't believe? If it is something that you can accept without any false illusions of changing them (refer to Dewdrop's post) then June sees no reason why the relationship can't ultimately work. It may require a bit of work, but June would not regard such a relationship as being "doomed."

June's dated believers in the past. Somehow, it wasn't a huge, over-arching issue. So long as her atheism was respected, regardless of whether it was necessarily understood by the other...

Take gentle care.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:03 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
How to help a nonbeliever believe? First your premise is wrong, non-believers don't need "help", as he is obviously has no problems with his non-belief. You can't help a person up, that is already standing

All you will accomplish is to push them away, probably not a bad thing, for him. You are setting yourself up for failure.
She may be setting herself up for failure simply because she shouldn't be even trying to date a non believer in the first place. That's like mixing water with oil, it won't mix or work.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
She may be setting herself up for failure simply because she shouldn't be even trying to date a non believer in the first place. That's like mixing water with oil, it won't mix or work.
Got anything to support your hypothesis, or is this just your belief

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,606 times
hi, im in same situation as you are. please ignore all the replies who have got, they are all negative and they want life to go on without any aims..i understand they are all believers, but dont you see how many nonbelievers become believers as days go on. i have witnessed in my own families. God has sent each one of us to earth for a purpose, i believe my purpose is to change my partner to a believer. i would suggest you too believe the same. believe in God totally, surrender to Him, Nothing is impossible for Him. I pray everyday for my partner, and one day with Gods grace, i will post my testimony along with my partner that he is a believer..

Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
"Giving and Receiving, both require open hands."

Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
for myself I can only say it started with science,and there are a few really good videos out there I would encourage you to have him watch.
The Case for a Christ is a good one,as well as Unlocking the Mystery of Life.
I found both of these on netflix,but you can do a search;there are many other good ones as well.Lee Stroble did a few good ones as well.I think he is also a reporter and he laid the Case for Christ out really well,using proven methods.
Darwin's Black Box by Micahel Behe is a good book,too.
Once you can prove to someone how finely tuned and how intriquitely planned the whole universe is,(esp. DNA),then you're well on your way to proving God exists.
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity