Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,349 times

Advertisements

"How's that going to help? I thought that accepting Jesus (or any other requirement for going to heaven) is purely a matter of free will, otherwise you can't say person is responsible for going to Hell. It can't be both ways, either other people can influence your eternal destiny or they cant. If they can, the argument "it's their own fault for going to hell" doesn't hold water."

I struggled with the ancient "sovereignty of God - free will of man" dilemma, as have most serious seekers of truth since Calvin and Armenias. The barrier I had to overcome was my attributing to God my own human limitations. The contradiction expressed in "it can't be both ways" is of course true when framed in terms of human logic. Either God decides or I do, period.

But God is not bound by our limitations. As creator, He gave us certain of his attributes...we are created in His image...but we remain creatures and cannot become creator. So the apparently mutually exclusive positions of who decides who gets saved doesn't prevent God from acting in ways unknowable to us. To define God by our own limitations is to suggest that we are just as capable of running the show as is He.

Paul calls God's ways a mystery, which we see only darkly as through a foggy glass. God has given us the ability to have faith, to obey based on that faith, and to pray. Why pray when God already knows the outcome? Because He tells us to and obedience is our primary mission. Want me to explain all of this? I can't. Neither could Paul. But it did not stop him from devoting his life to Christ.

So, to answer the original question, what can one do to see another saved? God says to pray for that one. Do so and leave the results to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Meow, I suggest you modify your religious beliefs.

You can still believe in a god and a heaven, but you can reject the Christian belief that the only way to get into heaven is to have Jesus as your saviour.

Instead, you can believe that a person gets into heaven based on his behavior while they is alive. That way, your atheist boyfriend has a chance to get into heaven.

You can still accept Jesus as a great prophet who was infused with the spirit of your god and you can learn a lot from his teachings.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 AM

422 posts, read 649,609 times
Right. By Hikers post all you have to do is give up Jesus Christ and have your boyfriend instead.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Right. By Hikers post all you have to do is give up Jesus Christ and have your boyfriend instead.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Maybe he is writing a post on the atheist forum on how to convert his Christian girlfriend to atheism! Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants!

You either love someone the way that they are or you don't belong with them. I would change a hair on my husband's head. I love him for who he is - not who I want him to be.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I truly appreciate people who express my thoughts even more concisely than I do. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:54 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
The only thing one can help is pray and live your life in Christ before him..... genuinely and sincerely !
For only God can change anyone's heart.
Yet, the testimony of Christ in your life could be the very instrument for God to use and draw his heart toward Christ Jesus.....

One should with all the strength God will give you.... keep your focus on God and His promises.....
Matthew 6:33
Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

You never know what God has in-stored and the things laid before you that will be added unto you !!!

Amen...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
preach the gospel of Christ with your actions

Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
For only God can change anyone's heart.
Yet, the testimony of Christ in your life could be the very instrument for God to use and draw his heart toward Christ Jesus.
I doubt that would work. If her boyfriend has reached adulthood as an atheist, I think there is almost no chance he will become a believer.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Persuasion. Do so by the Spirit in you. If you have the Spirit of Jesus Christ in you then by that Spirit may your deeds speak of the uncompromising love in your heart by Jesus. God is the only one that can change someone's heart but He does that through us - by us - via His Son working through us towards others. It is never about us keeping our relationship with God. It is about Christ thru us bringing our relationship to God.

I know that I HATE God, but Jesus Loves His Father and I know if I love God then it is Jesus in me, through me, providing that love and destroying the hate that IS me. How did I know that? Because He gave me that knowledge. Even that conversion and impulse is from Him. Even the reaction to it is His. If I claimed any of it then I would be robbing Him of the Glory He is due.

The Lord possesses whom He will as He will when He will with that Spirit. Until such time, we walk contrary to Him.

So remove the beam from your own eye first. Then you can see clearly afterwards on how to proceed.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM

422 posts, read 649,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Maybe he is writing a post on the atheist forum on how to convert his Christian girlfriend to atheism! Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants!

You either love someone the way that they are or you don't belong with them. I would change a hair on my husband's head. I love him for who he is - not who I want him to be.
You are exactly right. This is exactly what the word of God teaches christians to do. You have no business marrying a non-believer. That is far different than becoming converted after you are married to someone. There are seperate instructions for that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity