Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I never said that. The word of God says that Christians should not marry non Christians which is the question in the OP. Some people are not willing to "compromise" their beliefs. I am sure two people with lukewarm faith can get along just fine. I believe what the bible says "a double minded man is unstable in all of his ways" Marrying a non Christian will create that for you real fast. You actually can choose who you love because love is an action NOT a feeling that fades in and out. Its funny that people often say that when they have had an affair or gotten into some other relationship that is obviously inappropriate. People always seem to feel condemned and judged when you stand by your beliefs. Again she asked what a Christian should do. I rightly thought she wanted to know what the bible says. I choose to love God first, last, and always. And that too is a daily choice that inspires actions and not a feeling.
Have you ever been in love with another person? To me, it is not a choice. I fell in love with my husband when I least expected it. I certainly did not pick him or plan on it. There were people that I wish I could have been in love with - it would have made my life easier at the time - but you cannot choose who you fall in love with. You can choose not to be in a relationship with someone you are in love with - but you cannot control who you fall in love with. I've never met anyone that has been in love that has ever said it was a choice. If you have indeed been in love with another person - you will be the first.
The interfaith couples that I know are certainly not lukewarm about their religion. My best friends brother is an extremely pious Christian who is with a very pious Jewish woman. Like I said - these types of relationships aren't for everyone - but it's not a black and white issue. Look on this thread - you will see that very few people said that a Christian has no business being with a non-believer.
I'm not saying that you are not entitled to your opinion. You are. I just have a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
You respect their lack of beliefs about religion as you wish yours to be respected.

The moment you tell them they are wrong, and will be sorry, and all the other silly platitudes about gods love, etc., you have crossed that line and it is time for you to butt out.

They have made a choice, their choice, and if you care about them, even if you don't approve, you damn well better respect that.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,225 times
Truth of the matter is, you're asking a question as if you're on the fence about this relationship. Is this really about the unbeliever and encouraging him/her to choose Christ or your uncertainty of the relationship itself? Whether you practice your faith or not, God knows the plans that he has for you, plans to give you hope and a future, we choose these sidebars of relationships because we are denying our commitment to the Lord. Its easy to hook up with an unbeliever because he/she is not making demands on us to follow Christ.

As many have already said, ones relationship with the Lord is personal. You must decide whom you will serve instead of focusing on the fact that your mate is an unbeliever. Who and What do you believe? If your eyes are on the Cross than you already know by his word what you need to do, you just want the blow to come easier. I'm so sorry that it can't. Unless you are planning on marrying this person, your true focus needs to be on your life and your belief and your relationship with the Lord. If you're not right with your creator, you can't focus on anyone elses unbelief, something about the brick in the eye thing- lol. I encourage you to get into your word, go down on your knees, sit down and have a little talk with the Lord yourself and ask Him this very question, He is your help! If you have already accepted him as your Lord and Savior, the focus is really on you and which direction you want to go in your commitment. Do you want to be challenged to hold on with an unbeliever or do you want to be challenged to gain strength in the Lord with a believer, or do you need to leave both alone in order to have a one-on-one with the Lord before you move in the direction of having a relationship with anyone?

He will answer your prayers, honor your requests and direct your path, only He knows your heart. He created you in His image - NOBODY knows you better. You are his beloved. His plan for you is to unite you with the one that has been created solely for you and is being molded to cover you in prayer and the Love of Christ. This sidebar relationship could be a deterent by the enemy to confuse your final decision to serve the Lord - apples and oranges here - the enemy wants to deceive, kill and destroy. Lets ask the real questions, not the deceiving ones. You know the outcome of this relationship, don't be afraid - the Lord will never leave you nor forsake you.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
Hello friend!
I am in the same position as you. I hardly look twice at single non christian guy's. I have 3 strong believers who would all like to be in a relationship with me. But I believe God has led me into a relationship with a guy that doesnt believe for the simple fact that he need's someone to show him the way. I don't believe anything is a mistake. I believe God would have put you in a relationship for a reason! As am I! The first thing is to be 100% open to him about your faith. Never be ashamed of your beliefs or deny Jesus. It also depends if him/her is ok about your faith or is totally against it. If him/her doesnt agree at all with your faith and you have tried your hardest to explain it to him what it all means then it most likely isnt the relationship you should be in. God says to find a husband or wife who can build you up in christ. But remember that this is a two way effort. You partner also needs someone to build them up as well. And you could be just the thing they need!
I think you should just explain to them what Christ means to you and that you can't be swayed away from your faith! If you have set yourself challenges like keeping pure or having daily devotions, don't ever let anyone take them things away from you. Remember that Christ is far more important than any boyfriend or girlfriend you may have.
If your partner is ok with all that and understands your faith you should invite them to share it with you. All they need to do is be willing and ask the lord into their heart and the holy spirit will enter them and guide them into a true believer. Remember it is not something that will happen over night and the most important thing is for you to pray for them, as i will be doing for you! If in the end your partner trusts in God, make sure you always have God as the center in your relationship and he will build you both up!
It is one of the most hardest things for a christian to see family or friends who are choosing the wrong path, but don't ever underestimate the power of prayer. God knows your depest disires. Just be strong in faith friend!
Hope I can be helpfull to you! Much love Ellie.//pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Old 10-13-2011, 06:56 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Quit wasting your time trying to get someone to believe like you, either move on, or find the spiritual side of a person and you will find they believe more than you think.

Best advice on the entire thread.
And to the bold.... wow, couldn't have said that better myself.
Phazelwood, great post.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Interesting concept. Christians are attracted to Christ and everything he is. So it might be a red flag when a Christian falls in "love" with a non-Christian.

Believers should be characterized by humility/humbleness/focus on others. The world is generally attracted to bold/proud/focus on self.

I know I couldn't have an intimate marriage with another unless we were growing spiritually together as "one flesh" as we were designed to be til death do us part with the same belief on life and destiny.

Christians and nonChristians have two different ideologies altogether. The best way to help someone believe is to demonstrate the uncompromising changes in your faith by your life.

Also reason, science, and faith go hand in hand. It is faith but there is less faith than another other religion. The Biblical account is historical record. The Genesis creation account is confirmed by what we observe in science. The Bible has 40 writers but one divine author which can be authenticated. (look up Chuck Missler< he's good with this.)

People reject the Gospel ultimately because they haven't been drawn by the Holy Spirit and their eyes have been blinded by the "god of this age" (2 Cor 4:4). I've been there many years. The gospel convicts the soul and requires a change in one's world view into accepting accountability resulting in a change in behavior. Prayer is a Christian's best weapon toward opening the eyes of those we love. Have an answer to all questions asked will help. There is no call to ignorance but to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves." We are instructed to have answers to those that ask questions. The best witness is the change in our lives.

People have largely accepted that you have the religious "fundamentalists" in one corner and the rationale "scientific" agnostic/atheist/naturalists in the other. This view is propagated by our culture, schools by indoctrination to evolution pseudo-"science" by well-funded folk that are committed to indoctrinating the masses into this belief.

One way God brings people to him in Christ is to show them the true nature of darkness in this life. The spirit behind the kingdom of men today is the same spirit that was behind Hitler in his day. Eugenics, transgentics, designer children et al. The key is looking past the vanity of focusing on self.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
She may be setting herself up for failure simply because she shouldn't be even trying to date a non believer in the first place. That's like mixing water with oil, it won't mix or work.
And yet for a great many couples it does work. It's a mystery to me, but functional, happy, fulfilling marriages exist between believers and non-believers.

Obviously, you really wish they would all fail.

Too bad reality just doesn't jibe with the way you desperately want things to be ... yet again ...

Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
How did you come to be in a relationship with a non-believer?

Honestly I don't think there's anything you can say or do to "help" your non-believing partner believe. And if you're thinking of emotional blackmail, I'd advise against it.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Pray for him and be a good witness. FYI: Christians shouldn't be dating non-Christians. We aren't supposed to be unequally yoked.

Right ! We are not to have binding relationships with people who do not love Jesus. they are of the world; we are aliens to the world.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,491 times
Quote:
The most important thing for the unbeliever to believe in, and for you to try and help them with, is Yahushua the Messiah. That is the first and foremost priority for all mankind to see and believe. Revelation has alot about this, and even says that the essence of prophesy is simply giving a clear witness or testimony about Yahushua. It's important for them to understand that we have eyewitness accounts from His disciples who were with Him during His entire ministry on earth as He healed the sick and rose the dead. They should understand that these writings were written by people who's lives were drastically changed and are very trustworthy eyewitnesses. You can start with the Old Testament prophecies, and then show them the Gospel of John. The purpose of the Gospel of John is in fact to prove the Messiah, by the miracles He did. This is so important to realize. Try your best to get them to personally read the Word for themselves. Get them interested in reading about the Messiah and listening to Him and what He had to say. The Word will do the rest.

May Yahua's blessings be upon you in the name of Yahushua, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity