Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Sometimes... when reading this forum... it feels like this:

Frank: Bob..I have a question for you, will you help me understand your view? what is 2+2?
Bob: Orange. No, make that yellowish-orange. Get it??!! Huh???!!
Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
Steve: Right on Bob! yellowish-orange! Amen!
LOL You forgot the
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:09 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Let's address your real concern's..... first off, I'm no JESUS, so of course I CANNOT, how you put it......"Thomas, whose doubt Jesus gladly accommodated?" Are you comparing yourself to Thomas? Why Thomas? Do you really know anything about Thomas? If not, read here, start here: Learning Faith from Doubting Thomas
LIKE Thomas - who "said Unless I see....and touch....I will NOT believe".
Quote:
So you want real advice huh? Let me ask you another question? Do you believe the Bible and EVERYTHING it has in there, from beginning to end? Yes...no? Work on these.....then maybe we can talk "genuinely", okay? For that's where I get my "real practical" information from! Maybe it's your faith you have to work on?....I don't know, you tell me. Besides, if you don't believe the Bible......who am I that you'll believe a word that comes out of MY mouth?
The above is why I included in my post that I believe the signs in the "sun" and in the "heaven" are/were symbolic. Just as when Joseph saw the Sun and moon and stars bow down to him in a dream he didn't expect to go outside the next night and get a real literal curtsy from the milky way.

When I said "not just personal unsubstantiated beliefs or info from people who are proven to be sensationalists/opportunists" I was referring to Hal Lindseys and the Jack Van Imps out there who halve been crying wolf for decades and playing on every fear and end time belief out there.

But - as you pointed out - they COULD be right this time about specific events. My point back is why post THEM and their comments? That's like posting hedge fund advice from Bernie Madoff. Yes, he might be giving good advice this once, but....
Quote:
It's all boils down to believing, doesn't it? Believing God, His Words.....ALL OF IT!! You understand?
I've tried to make it clear to that I DON'T believe the end timers literalist interpretations. I don't even think literalists believe that "the sun and the moon and eleven stars" bowed down to Joseph. But I guess if the symbolism wasn't spelled out we would be required to?

Anyway - my point in this thread is that, if you really want to help people prepare for future crises - those who don't subscribe to what the end time scammers have been pushing for hundreds of years then you must bring information from credible sources - not those with long proven track records of exaggerations and distortions.

If you only wish to warn those who already are on board with the end time doomsday scenario (AKA those who don't need to be warned) then I guess poor Thomas (who needs tangible evidence) will be left out in the cold... errr... I mean... the solar meltdown.

By the way - my OP means exactly what it says - no riddles, no clever twists it just means:
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Sincerely, I want to ask you to help those of us who have been burned by "end time" scam artists and who NEED real evidence (like doubting Thomas whose doubt Jesus gladly accommodated?).

I DO want to be prepared for any crisis that should arise BUT - being a critical thinker I want real evidence - not just personal unsubstantiated beliefs or info from people who are proven to be sensationalists/opportunists Moderator cut: edited
(ie: sensationalists/opportunists such as Hal or Jack)

So please - continue to post the real tangible evidence for us skeptics who need it. As your Thomas link says - for us who BELIEVE (evidence): Jesus turns to him and speaks plainly, without any hint of rancor or sarcasm, "Put your finger here, see my hands." Jesus holds out his scarred hands for him to examine.

Seems that Jesus considered Thomas' request a reasonable one.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:

Frank: Bob..I have a question for you, will you help me understand your view? what is 2+2?
Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
IAFOOMCFLSH...I didn't know you had in you...Brilliant/profound/hilarious...bulls eye...(it's not on the list of emo...)

Old 07-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Sincerely, I want to ask you to help those of us who have been burned by "end time" scam artists and who NEED real evidence
Quote:
Let's address your real concern's..... first off, I'm no JESUS
Quote:

Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yellowish-orange... LMBO (buttocks for the more sensitive readers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
"What if C A T spelled Dog?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Charles Massegee(sp) is a disgrace in that area, in the 70's he wrote a book predicting Jesus return in the year 2000, he was wrong, yet, he still has an end times ministry but just doesn't throw out any dates.
Quote:
It's all boils down to believing, doesn't it?
Unfortunately - it may.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You forgot the

Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
IAFOOMCFLSH...
"Your search - IAFOOMCFLSH - did not match any documents".

Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Sincerely, I want to ask you to help those of us who have been burned by "end time" scam artists and who NEED real evidence (like doubting Thomas whose doubt Jesus gladly accommodated?).

I DO want to be prepared for any crisis that should arise BUT - being a critical thinker I want real evidence - not just personal unsubstantiated beliefs or info from people who are proven to be sensationalists/opportunists Moderator cut: edited

I absolutely DO think that their are real crises we need to be prepared for.
Today a dear friend (non-fundy, non-alarmist) whom I trust very much and who has never 'blown smoke' about these things mentioned that the government is holding back info about the increased solar activity and about the BP situation.

So - I'm an open book. Please show me where you are getting your practical info on the solar situation. Since I believe the bible prophecies concerning the sun and the signs to be symbolic (like virtually all other bible prophecy) that won't help me OR unbelievers. You must post unbiased scientific info to help us end time skeptics/doubters.

Understand?

(PS - I'm using your catch phrase "understand?" not to mock but because I like it, as I like you and as I know you have ALWAYS acted as you feel is in the best interests of all of us).

Sincerely,
Firstborn AKA Byron AKA your brother in Christ
The sad thing is, concerning the-sky-is-falling type warnings, is that televangelists have lied for so long that nobody takes any legitimate claim seriously anymore. They are mocked. You are right, firstborn, these charlatans of the "Christian" world are responsible for much of it.

The boy who cried wolf.

Quote:
Frank: Bob..I have a question for you, will you help me understand your view what is 2+2?
Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
Bob:
Frank:
You can accuse me of snickering a bit while reading this post. I hope
that's what you were going for.

We all seem to be communicating on different wave lengths. It is rather strange when we ask a question or make a statement and then get a reply that says something like,"I've got you in a corner, you're going down,"
when nobody ever actually answered anything.

Quote:
Some news as to what's going on...Homeland Security seizes control over BP oil spill website. The Department of Homeland Security has seized control over a joint BP oil spill website, previously managed by several US Government agencies and BP and intended to inform the public about the progress made in the cleanup effort. The joint website was managed by US agencies, including the US Coast Guard, and BP to provide daily information about the oil spill and efforts made by both in conjunction with independent contractors to proceed with the cleanup effort. Effective immediately, the Department of Homeland Security will now control all content and distribution of information to the American and international public. Secretary Janet Napolitano, head of the DHS, was not available for comment and her office did not immediately return phone calls. The announcement, first reported by the Associated Press, was frowned upon by many news agencies and reporters. According to a DHS spokesman, but the website will change its address from a dot-com to a dot-gov address but the content will remain the same. Who can actually post to the new website remains unknown but it is believwd that the content is under the sole control of the DHS and no articles will be posted or published without the approval of Secretary Napolitano or one of her directors.

While it does not make sense to invent a conspiracy theory at this juncture, it is questionable why the DHS would get involved in an environmental disaster that has no immediate impact on national security and therefore would not be considered to be placed under their control and jurisdiction.

The next few days may shed more light on this puzzling decision, but one can state as a fact that such seizure can only be executed upon direct instructions from the White House.

http://www.huliq.com/9990/homeland-s...-spill-website
Thank you, Betsey.

Last edited by herefornow; 07-08-2010 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:

The next few days may shed more light on this puzzling decision, but one can state as a fact that such seizure can only be executed upon direct instructions from the White House.

http://www.huliq.com/9990/homeland-s...-spill-website
Thanks for the article - reading now.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
The sad thing is, concerning the-sky-is-falling type warnings, is that televangelists have lied for so long that nobody takes any legitimate claim seriously anymore. They are mocked. And like firstborn said, these charlatans of the "Christian" world are responsible for much of it.

The boy who cried wolf.

You can accuse me of snickering a bit while reading this post. I hope
that's what you were going for.

We all seem to be communicating on different wave lengths. It is rather strange when we ask a question or make a statement and then get a reply that says something like,"I've got you in a corner, you're going down,"
when nobody ever actually answered anything.

Thank you, Betsey.
I doesn't take much to have me laugh...I see humor in life more than most...I think...so I'm laughing right now because what you pointed out makes me so sad...

Blessings...

Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
teehee.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
A hearty and sincere yellowish-orange amen to that, hilgi!!
lol... ok, now I'm cracking up.
that's too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity