Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Skeptics give a late date to the gospel because of certain themes within that wouldn't have made sense to a pre Temple destruction era Jew or Gentile. We can't even agree on a reliable since the first verified text that says we have them was written between 115 and 130.
Identify the themes of which you speak.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Christianity is next, no joke either.
Saddly this is true of many who call themselves Christian. But Christianity will not fall. In fact Judaism will rise at the end times. And Christianity and Judaism will be the two witnesses as spoken of in the book of revelation.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Using the Bible to prove the Bible.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Can't you even grasp that the anonymous authors of the the NT knew the prophecies of the OT and wrote the NT so that it appeared the prophecies were fulfilled?
Using one Christian book from the 1st Century to prove a prophesy from a Jewish Book from the 5th Century BC! Of course the Jewish text is complied into the library of books called the Christian bible, so I can see how any uninitiated can be confused.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Identify the themes of which you speak.
The early church would have been a group of essetial jewish outcasts...all of which we illterate. So in order to pen this gospel down they would have to find people that could write it down. The theme of the suffering servant would have made no sense to an early jew. No where in the psalms quoter or Isiah is the suffering servant identified as the Mashiaẖ. So most Jews would have rejected this outright....so you would have to go to the gentiles. Given we see a lack of understand of Jewish culture at the time in the writing and a lack of local knowledge it means that the people writing were not local. And chances are writing far enough from events that they would get things wrong ie the census...Herod....the death of the innocents. The next one you get is the theme of the temple. While we can always say sure Jesus did know the temple was going down, we have to use occam's razor on this. Since most people have never met anyone who can see the future chances are no one can. So thus we are talking about something in the future....post destruction. Since we don't seem to find a long amount wailing over what could be it means who wrote it didn't care....if they didn't care chances are they weren't a Jew. This would have been fresh in the minds of even a recent convert or someone close to Jerusalem and still evoked some response. Though it is still possible i will gather to say they were written earlier, not much. Early church fathers pin mark to no earlier then after the death of peter.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Using one Christian book from the 1st Century to prove a prophesy from a Jewish Book from the 5th Century BC! Of course the Jewish text is complied into the library of books called the Christian bible, so I can see how any uninitiated can be confused.

He means it's pretty suspect considering you can use bits of the ot to create things as you want them. Ie the messiah rides into Jerusalem on a donkey....early writers read it and write a passage to correspond.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Sorry...but I am having a very tough time believing that you are TRULY Jewish...and that is just based on what you've posted thus far. Also, you are sadly mistaken about the Jewish people...there may be some who have fallen away but I know many who are still awaiting their Messiah.
You may have a hard time believing I am Jewish, but I don't care what you think. You would probably have a hard time believing Moses or David was Jewish as well. I am not mistaken about the Jewish people. But I have hope for my brothers, my fathers, mothers and sisters. My prayer is that Israel will be saved. I long for the day that the temple will be rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
According to real Jewish people....Jesus did not fulfill any Messianic prophecies. The Messiah is a man (not a god)...born of a woman and a man (not a god)...all he is to accomplish will be accomplished IN HIS LIFETIME. There is NOTHING in the Hebrew scripture that the Messiah will not accomplish DURING HIS LIFETIME....there is no alleged second coming for Messiah to finish the job in the Hebrew scripture. This is why real Jewish people TOTALLY REJECT JESUS AS MESSIAH and are STILL WAITING...he did not qualify as Messiah in any way, shape or form....nor did he accomplish, in his lifetime, the things Messiah is supposed to accomplish.
If Messiah was just a man, then why does it say: "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6) So, the Messiah will be called God! How can a man be called God? Unless his father is God!

And: "The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool." Who is the Lord that said to the Lord of David these things? Who is Lord of Lord of the King of Israel? There was no one higher then David in Israel. So God had a Lord who greater then David. This only makes sense if the Messiah came from God and yet being equal with God!

Yes, the Jewish people have rejected Jesus as Messiah, but no they are not waiting for the Messiah to come.

Jesus is the Messiah, and he accomplished many things as prophesied. He died and rose from the dead and said he will return. When he returns he will accomplish those things that still need to be done according to scripture.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Hundreds of extant and ancient tribes speak of this global flood in their oral histories and legends, and geology confirms that the vast sedimentary layers on the continents with billions of creatures therewith entombed were obviously deposited in a global flood that covered the continents. The lack of tension cracks in the now folded sedimentary layers of the mountains shows that the mountains rose after the sedimentary layers were deposited and while those layers were still moist and malleable, therefore, for these and many other reasons (which no doubt those in denial will require for refutation), the Genesis account (and the entirety of God's written word) should be acknowledged to be an accurate book of ancient history. The Blessings of The Eternal One keep your heads above plausible deniability...
RESPONSE:

Perhaps you are referring to the time that the earth was covered with water and before mountains arose.

But this was a long time before mankind evolved.

Incidently, which of the two flood stories in the bible do you accept?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
He means it's pretty suspect considering you can use bits of the ot to create things as you want them. Ie the messiah rides into Jerusalem on a donkey....early writers read it and write a passage to correspond.
Thanks paganmama.

Oh and Nikk! When was Egypt ever so utterly desolate that it was devoid of man and beast for 40 years? I've now been waiting about a week for you to answer.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default Is the Bible actually divinely inspired?

It is definitely God-INSPIRED . . . but NOT dictated verbatim, infallible, or inerrant! The entire OT is under the veil of ignorance of the primitive minds that interpreted the inspirations.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Thanks paganmama.

Oh and Nikk! When was Egypt ever so utterly desolate that it was devoid of man and beast for 40 years? I've now been waiting about a week for you to answer.

The famine at the end of the old kingdom? :-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity