Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Your apologetics site is a festival of misinformation and downright lies, particularly the part about Tyre being on the shore/mainland. If Tyre was on the shore, why the hell did Alexander have to build a causeway out into the sea to reach it. The city of Tyre was on an island. Lovely example of 'Lying for Jesus'.
You just revealed your complete ignorance of the matter. There was a city on shore and another city on the island. You need to check your history. Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the mainland city, the debris of which was later used by Alexander to build the causeway to the island so that he could attack the city.

The prophecy involved the destruction of Tyre by many nations over a very long time. Ezekiel 26:3.

Look, it is a well attested fact of history, and honest research will bear that out. But skeptics seem to hate that little detail about there being a mainland city. It makes it much more difficult to claim that the prophecy wasn't fulfilled.

Here's the link again for those who haven't seen it.

Apologetics Press - Tyre in Prophecy

Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Sucks to be us then.

That reminds me of what my husband said to me once. "If God is truly a god who will set most of his creation on fire for eternity, nobody is safe from him, not even the Christians who hold so tightly to him."

People need to think about that a bit.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
So archaeological dating methods are great when the they confirm something spoken of in the Bible but rubbish when those same dating methods show the Bible to be wrong huh? That's rather laughable. How do you think they get the dates for your Bible archaeology huh? They get them by using the very same dating methods that tell us how old the Earth is....well, except in cases of blatant 'Lying for Jesus' when unscrupulous 'scientists' (I use that title advisedly) attempt to make the evidence fit the Bible rather than letting the Bible fit the evidence.
I never said that you only assummed that that is what I was getting at but that is far from the reality of the question. Actually the Bible is confirmed by other writings. As for the age of the earth they only have theories which is the basis of much of you supposed facts and theories are not facts no matter how much you repeat them.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:59 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Hardly. Paul rejected Jesus' teaching on the permanance of the Mosaic Law.

Matt 5:17-18
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.

Hebrews 8.13:
In speaking of ‘a new covenant’, he has made the first one obsolete. And what is obsolete and growing old will soon disappear.
Ahh, so because you have only a carnal clue what Matt 5:17-18 is saying, you think this literal saying is what it actually means? Hmm

Well, I see you have come to the board to teach, and not learn, so my conversation is over with you. But you might want to check out Rev 21 for clarification on Matt 5 17-18. For if you do not know what 'heaven and earth' are by now, then I feel you have not grown as much to be teaching.

Peace.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes. It is. The Israelites were supposed to have killed everyone. The reason being is that by leaving the enemy alive, Israel would be subject to the idolatry of those people they spared. And they were to be killed as punishment for their idolatry. It was God's purpose to keep Israel free from such influences. The captains of the army disobeyed Moses and allowed some number of women and children to live. Therefore, Moses ordered the male children to be killed and the women who were virgins were allowed to live and kept not for sinful purposes, but for slaves, a custom which was practised in those times with regard to captives.

God is perfectly just and fair in all that He does.
You said all this and I get the feeling you did it without even batting an eye.

This god of yours sounds like some kind of bully who goes around exterminating people who he feels threatened by. Then again, this sounds more like HUMANS doing evil human things needing a "god" justification to excuse what you are justifying.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:17 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
You just revealed your complete ignorance of the matter. There was a city on shore and another city on the island. You need to check your history. Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the mainland city, the debris of which was later used by Alexander to build the causeway to the island so that he could attack the city.
The ignorance is coming from you my friend. The city of Tyre was on an island. On the mainland was a residential area...a few lines of suburbs. In fact, the mainland part wasn't even called Tyre. It was called Ushu. Ushu was what Nebuchadnezzar destroyed not Tyre. When Nebby tried to take island Tyre as the prophecy said he would, he failed. After a 13 year siege of the island city he came to a negotiated settlement. The prophecy failed.

Now if you want to bring Alexander into it, the prophecy failed with him too because although he did take the island city of Tyre, he did not completely destroy it as prophesied. He did not turn it into a bare rock only fit for fishermen to spread their nets. He did not destroy Tyre to the extent that 'though you be looked for you will never be found' and 'You will never be rebuilt'. In fact Alexander himself rebuilt it due to it's importance as a sea port.

You can bluster and gag all you want dude but the facts of history are what they are. Tyre WAS rebuilt. It exists today as one of the most populated cities in Lebanon. It exists in the same place that it has always existed.

Quote:
Look, it is a well attested fact of history, and honest research will bear that out. But skeptics seem to hate that little detail about there being a mainland city. It makes it much more difficult to claim that the prophecy wasn't fulfilled.
That's because there wasn't a mainland city, only a residential suburb.

Quote:
Here's the link again for those who haven't seen it.

Apologetics Press - Tyre in Prophecy
Here are some better links that don't have an agenda to prove the Bible true.

"Tyre is the fourth largest city of Lebanon. It was an island in ages past, celebrated for its beauty."

"Early in the 6th century B.C. Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, lay siege to the city for 13 years. Later Alexander the Great stormed Tyre without success for seven months. Only by joining the island city to the mainland by a causeway was he enabled to bring up his siege engines to scale Tyre's formidable walls.
Tyre (Sour) City, Lebanon

"Tyre originally consisted of two distinct urban centers, Tyre itself, which was on an island just off shore, and an associated settlement on the adjacent mainland."

"In ancient times, the island city of Tyre was heavily fortified (with defensive walls 150 feet (46 m) high[9]) and the mainland settlement, originally called Ushu (later, Palaetyrus, by the Greeks) was actually more like a line of suburbs than any one city and was used primarily as a source of water and timber for the main island city."
Tyre, Lebanon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there it is dude. The facts of history will not change just because you don't like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Actually the Bible is confirmed by other writings.
WHAT other writings?

Quote:
As for the age of the earth they only have theories which is the basis of much of you supposed facts and theories are not facts no matter how much you repeat them.
Please look up what a scientific theory is.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:
Your imaginary friend Ralph isn't 40 different people who wrote an integrated message over a period of 1600 years or so and which contains historically proven fulfilled prophecies such as the Babyonian captivity and subsequent restoration of the Jews from the Babylonian captivity in 539 B.C. when the Medes and the Persians attacked Babylon. Or the historically proven fulfilled prophecy of Tyre.

Yes, that's right. I said the prophecy concerning the destruction of Tyre is historically proven to be fulfilled.

www.apologeticspress.org/articles/3077

Now if you don't want to give any credence to the site because its an apologetics site, that's your choice.
RESPONSE:

Lets see. Ezekiel wrote from 593 to 571 BC. He prophecized that Tyre would be attacked. This occurred in 573 well within the period that he wrote.

It's always easy to claim a prophecy was fulfilled when writing after the fact.

And prophecizing attacks on major cities is always safe. My friend Ralph has written that starting in 1776 both Washington and New York would endure a series of attacks by foregin powers.

And of course starting with the British right up to the present day there have been a series of such attacks.

A divine prophecy? Hardly.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
But where does that mention Paul or Jesus?
Luke 2 is describing Jesus' birth during Quirinius's census of Judea in 6 A.D. Josephus' history provides a description and the dating of this census.

Of course, Luke is contradicting Matthew's claim that Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod the Great who died in 4 B.C.

This would make the story of the slaughter of the innocents and the flight into Egypt chronologically impossible since Herod would have been dead for ten years.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Yes. It is. The Israelites were supposed to have killed everyone. The reason being is that by leaving the enemy alive, Israel would be subject to the idolatry of those people they spared. And they were to be killed as punishment for their idolatry. It was God's purpose to keep Israel free from such influences. The captains of the army disobeyed Moses and allowed some number of women and children to live. Therefore, Moses ordered the male children to be killed and the women who were virgins were allowed to live and kept not for sinful purposes, but for slaves, a custom which was practised in those times with regard to captives.

God is perfectly just and fair in all that He does.
RESPONSE:

So are you saying that God endorses ethnic cleansing particularly involving children?

And what happened to the virgins that the soldiers were allowed to keep? See Deuteronomy 21:10-14 (NAB)

Old 09-11-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Ahh, so because you have only a carnal clue what Matt 5:17-18 is saying, you think this literal saying is what it actually means? Hmm

Well, I see you have come to the board to teach, and not learn, so my conversation is over with you. But you might want to check out Rev 21 for clarification on Matt 5 17-18. For if you do not know what 'heaven and earth' are by now, then I feel you have not grown as much to be teaching.

Peace.
RESPONSE:

Are you claiming that what Jesus said is not what he actually meant?

Then how do you account for the fact that the Jerusalem community made up of Jesus immediate disciples remained strictly orthodox Temple worshipping Jews?

I "have come to this board" to separate fact from fiction.

Revelation is no more inspired than the gospels. It's the story of a"vision" (or a hallucination) of John Patmos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity