Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So... are we supposed to be bad?
Made me laugh!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:11 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What gets me is that the ancient Pagan gods helped their people build megalithic structures such as the Pyramids and Stonehenge (we still can't figure out how they did it). Yet some Christians claim that there is no evidence that Pagan gods were real nor is there archaeological evidence that they existed before the bible. LOL!!!! If the 42 story million-plus ton Great Pyramid of Giza isn't archaeological evidence of their Pagan gods (which they claimed helped them build these structures that we still can't build today) I don't know what is.

The only evidence early Christians left us was a book and a history of intolerance to science. Christians of today has left us a church on every corner. Well, there's a MacDonald's on every corner too; that doesn't mean that the food they serve is good for you. Come to think of it, there is a church down the street from me where I can get "saved" for about the price of two Happy Meals.
A hearty agreement here. Lots to think about!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:17 View Post
From my perspective the truth of God's written word is in me to think, say, and do, with no constraints to live and to love. Hope God's truth finds you well.
From my perspective, the truth of "God" (I prefer the term "creative force") is in all of us. This is why we all have free will. Religion (and cults) take away from one's God-given free will and ability to think for one's self. Religion has also fooled some of us into thinking that "God" plays favorites. In other words, the Christian faith has taught us that "I'm saved" and "you're not". These "saved" people don't seem to realize that they are a product of "God" just like everyone else.

Not too long ago, I saw a thread on this forum asking why does the wicked live free. The truth is that NO MAN IS WICKED. People can do wicked things, but we are all capable of doing "good" if we choose to. This goes back to that little gift from "God" called free will.

As for the bible (and other religious books); I personally don't think the bible was divinely inspired. A message of "truth" and "fellowship" from the supreme omnipotent being of the universe does not have to be printed in a book. Such a being could have EASILY given us all a telepathic "download" of this information.

Now, through prayer (or quiet time), one can get a true telepathic download from the creative spirit. However, because of our freewill, this can only be done at a personal level. Yes, it can be done in a group with like minded individuals. However, every single individual must be "receptive" to the message. Egos, hatred, fear, ambition, and religious superiority (which falls into the same category as "big ego") must be completely clear from the mind in order to receive this download. FWIW, this download doesn't care if you are theist or atheist. Such labels are man made ideas.

With that said, the truth that I am seeking is the historical truth behind many of our religious myths that rob us of our natural connection with the "creative spirit" (the spirit that rules everything in existence).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-10-2010 at 07:26 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So... are we supposed to be bad?
No. God's perfect absolute righteousness can't approve of man's relative human righteousness. But humanly speaking, good is good. It just can't measure up to God's standard's.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:40 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Well, if you reject Paul, then you reject the teachings of Jesus as well. Both go hand in hand.
RESPONSE:

Hardly. Paul rejected Jesus' teaching on the permanance of the Mosaic Law.

Matt 5:17-18
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.

Hebrews 8.13:
In speaking of ‘a new covenant’, he has made the first one obsolete. And what is obsolete and growing old will soon disappear.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-10-2010 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: extraneous material automatically added

Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
It's likely that neither one existed so what's the big deal?
RESPONSE:

No. Both are mentioned in historical writings other than the bible. See especially the historian Josephus.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Just because they(who wrote the website) do not understand what was being said, does not mean they are right in their assessments.

Guess what, Jesus and Paul taught the same thing. Sorry. Want to start a thread on it, go for it.
RESPONSE:

Of course not. As hasalready been demonstrated by several posts.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mike555
>>You obviously don't believe that the Bible is the word of God. You deny what it says. By the Bible's own testimony, God rejects human good. Human good as I have already said, is the basis by which the unbeliever is condemned to the lake of fire. As do many, you reject what is clearly taught in the word of God and substitute your own personal beliefs.<<

RESPONSE:

My friend Ralph wrote a book in which it is claimed that it is the word of God.

He says if you don't believe that it is, you'll be condemned to a sea of fire.

Do you think we should believe him just because he says so?

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-10-2010 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No. God's perfect absolute righteousness can't approve of man's relative human righteousness. But humanly speaking, good is good. It just can't measure up to God's standard's.
RESPONSE:

Is the slaughter of children an example of "God's perfect absolute righteousness."?

Moses said to them, "Have you allowed all the women to live? These women here, on Balaam's advice, made the Israelites act treacherously against the LORD in the affair of Peor, so that the plague came among the congregation of the LORD. Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known a man by sleeping with him. But all the young girls who have not known a man by sleeping with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

No. Both are mentioned in historical writings other than the bible. See especially the historian Josephus.
Elaborate please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity