Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Okay when were they dated did they have a stamped date on them?
When were the gospels & letters dated and did they have a stamped date on them?

See...we can all play that silly game.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
There is nothing "unclean" about used menstrual rags. That would mean that babies are conceived as unclean. Isaiah was no different from most men who freak out over anything menstrual.

I believe the Bible was meant to be. It's Jesus's story along with some of the Old Testament included to give it the history leading up to Christ's arrival, and purpose. And that purpose was to spread the Creator's New Word.

However, the Bible's numerous authors were human beings. Humans can rarely keep a story straight for anything, be it memory or misinterpretation. I think there's a fair amount of inconsistencies in the Bible and I blame that on each individual's interpretations. Some were obviously a lot more dramatic than others. Some were more passive-natured than others, and it's all obvious in the writings. But they did the best they could in recording it all in writing, and they at least were in unison with the story of Christ, and The Book is still here.

Yes, He died on the cross for us all, and I adhere to my belief that it was to wake us all up to the New Word. God's word. It was the Creator that Christ was on a mission for, and I think He would agree that that is what He died on the cross for. We can worship Christ, as many do, while others worship a Higher Power in their own way, and if they live right, that's good enough.

And, so, Mike555, this makes my final entry, because as a rule I do not post more than three per thread. I relinquish the last word to you ~ just make it a good one.
You obviously don't believe that the Bible is the word of God. You deny what it says. By the Bible's own testimony, God rejects human good. Human good as I have already said, is the basis by which the unbeliever is condemned to the lake of fire. As do many, you reject what is clearly taught in the word of God and substitute your own personal beliefs.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:17 View Post
For those of you who disagree with the words of the Bible, or deny it's veracity, why do you keep swimming back across the river to argue about it ?
The answer is simple. We ALL are searching for the truth. For me, part of my "truth seeking" involves reading the opinions of others. However, one can not find the truth by simply listening to those that only agree with him/her.

Personally, I am convinced that the bible (and every other religion) does not have the entire story correct. Forums like this one is how I learn about what is true and what is just religious dogma. We must remember that religion is mostly faith based (not fact based). A person that is truly in search of the truth will not let the constraints of religious ideology (or atheist ideology) stand in his/her way.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-09-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
However, the Bible's numerous authors were human beings. Humans can rarely keep a story straight for anything, be it memory or misinterpretation. I think there's a fair amount of inconsistencies in the Bible and I blame that on each individual's interpretations. Some were obviously a lot more dramatic than others. Some were more passive-natured than others, and it's all obvious in the writings.
...but people that are writing under the alleged guidance, direction and inspiration of an omnimax deity shouldn't be making mistakes or misinterpretations should they?

Quote:
But they did the best they could in recording it all in writing, and they at least were in unison with the story of Christ......
Nope. They didn't even get that right.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Okay when were they dated did they have a stamped date on them?
So archaeological dating methods are great when the they confirm something spoken of in the Bible but rubbish when those same dating methods show the Bible to be wrong huh? That's rather laughable. How do you think they get the dates for your Bible archaeology huh? They get them by using the very same dating methods that tell us how old the Earth is....well, except in cases of blatant 'Lying for Jesus' when unscrupulous 'scientists' (I use that title advisedly) attempt to make the evidence fit the Bible rather than letting the Bible fit the evidence.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I am not a literalist. I do not believe for an instant that every word of the Bible was authored by God. All you have to do is type "biblical contradictions" into Google to see that. I mean, if the Bible was written by God, then he needed a really good proofreader and editor.

And given how the first books of the New Testament are titled, "The Gospel According to Matthew," "The Gospel According to Luke," etc., then it becomes more obvious that these were the writings of people who had a very moving experience with God, but whose memories of the events in question were not precise. Just read the different accounts in the Synoptic Gospels of Christ's baptism, death, and resurrection, and there are substantial differences in the three accounts.

Heck, even during the Passion, Matthew, Mark, and Luke differ widely on Christ's last words. Was it "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me," "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit," or "It is finished"?

Now mind you, none of these really shake my confidence in Christ's existence or His mission on earth. But I think there's such a What's more, if God personally authored all four of the Gospels, then why didn't he simply write one narrative?

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-09-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 01:32 PM

308 posts, read 427,460 times
Quote:
I'm sure God would love to convince more atheists and agnostics but He's had to contend with them 'em around since the beginning. Again, I think a non-believer who, for example, spreads some goodwill by partaking of something to ease others in need, still scores points for providing compassion for his fellow man. God can take criticism. It's the equivalent to earthlings raising teenagers.
God just needs to show up and let us all know that he's around and then there won't be any problems or questions.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:52 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
When were the gospels & letters dated and did they have a stamped date on them?

See...we can all play that silly game.
RESPONSE:

Yes. The scriptures are undated. However, from their content it is frequently possible to ascribe an approximate date of authorship.

For example, if a unique and important event is described, than the particular scripture describing it was written after that event. And the other hand, if something really important happened and is completely omitted, then that scripture was probably written before that event.

For example, if a book written on the history of New York City omits any mention of the events of 9/11/2001, it was probably written before 2001. If it contains a description of the events of 9/11 it was written after 2001. Simple.

Also, sometimes matching an event in an undated writing with the writings of a second historian who clearly describes the same event and dates it, establishes the date.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
An Apostle is nothing more than a messenger.
A disciple is nothing more than a student.

Since Paul founded numerous churches, even with the support of the 'Apostles that knew Jesus personally', doesn't disqualify Paul from being a teacher.
RESPONSE:

There is a major difference between the Apostles appointed by Christ, and just any "messenger."

What he founded were communities some or which became churches after the original Jerusalem community was crushed by the Romans and Paul began to reject Mosaic law.

Paul, not Christ or his original followers, founded Christianity as we know it today.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

There is a major difference between the Apostles appointed by Christ, and just any "messenger."

What he founded were communities some or which became churches after the original Jerusalem community was crushed by the Romans and Paul began to reject Mosaic law.

Paul, not Christ or his original followers, founded Christianity as we know it today.
Well, if you reject Paul, then you reject the teachings of Jesus as well. Both go hand in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity