Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 PM

308 posts, read 427,498 times

Advertisements

Do people debate this much over Sherlock Holmes? Holmes was a much more realized and interesting fictional character than Jesus.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Nikk posted:

>>The bible is divinely inspired. It's claim is backed by it's prophesies which have come true.<<

RESPONSE:

Did all these prophecies come true?

Matt 16:27 – 28 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels: and then will he render to every man according to his works. Amen I say to you, there are some of them that stand here, that shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Luke 9:26-27 For he that shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him the Son of man shall be ashamed, when he shall come in his majesty, and that of his Father, and of the holy angels. But I tell you of a truth: There are some standing here that shall not taste death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Matt 10:23 And when they shall persecute you in this city, flee into another. Amen I say to you, you shall not finish all the cities of Israel, till the Son of man come.

Matt 26:63-64 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest said to him: I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us if thou be the Christ the Son of God. Jesus saith to him: Thou hast said it. Nevertheless I say to you, hereafter you shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of the power of God, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mark 14:61-62 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said to him: Art thou the Christ the Son of the blessed God? And Jesus said to him: I am. And you shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of the power of God, and coming with the clouds of heaven.

Matt 24:29-30, 31-34 And immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun shall be darkened and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven shall be moved: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all tribes of the earth mourn: and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with much power and majesty. And he shall send his angels with a trumpet, and a great voice: and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the farthest parts of the heavens to the utmost bounds of them. And from the fig tree learn a parable: When the branch thereof is now tender, and the leaves come forth, you know that summer is nigh. So you also, when you shall see all these things, know ye that it is nigh, even at the doors. Amen I say to you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Mark 13: 24-27, 29-30 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light. And the stars of heaven shall be falling down, and the powers that are in heaven, shall be moved. And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds, with great power and glory. And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven…. So you also when you shall see these things come to pass, know ye that it is very nigh, even at the doors. Amen I say to you, that this generation shall not pass, until all these things be done.

1 Thess 4: 14-16 For this we say unto you in the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who remain unto the coming of the Lord, shall not prevent them who have slept. For the Lord himself shall come down from heaven with commandment, and with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God: and the dead who are in Christ, shall rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, shall be taken up together with them in the clouds to meet Christ, into the air, and so shall we be always with the Lord.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-08-2010 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: elimination of numbering

Old 09-08-2010, 02:19 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
Do people debate this much over Sherlock Holmes? Holmes was a much more realized and interesting fictional character than Jesus.
...and I once lived in Baker St, London. I've seen his house. Baker St and his house actually exist therefore, Holmes was a real person. Job done!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Luke 18: 18-19 (King James Version; ie Old English)

Luke 18: 18-19 (American Standard Version; ie modern English)

Like I said. Jesus clearly admits that he is not "good" nor is he "God". Could the bible have been any clearer on this?
Thanks for the quotes but they did not say He wasn't God only that only God was good. He did ask why they called Him good and they did not respond. Come on, can't you do better than that?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Completely unfulfilled. In fact, you couldn't have chosen a worse one.
The prophecy concerning Tyre has been fulfilled.

Amazing Witness of Fulfilled Prophecy (http://www.learnbible.net/amazing2.html - broken link)

Bible prophecy fulfilled by Tyre

Quote:
No it isn't. There are about 5 parts to that particular prophecy. You can't take part of it, ignore the other parts which haven't happened and then claim that it'd been fulfilled.
Some Biblical prophecies have both a near term and a long term fulfillment. I have already given you the example of Luke 4:18 compared with Isa 61. And Tyre is another example. The prophecy was fulfilled over a long period of time.

Quote:
In fact, even the part you claim has been fulfilled regarding the Jews returning to Israel, hasn't been. Do you actually know what percentage of world Jewry presently reside in Israel?
Yes it is. I said that the Jews are partially back in the land in a state of unbelief. When Christ returns, He returns to an existing nation Israel. Simply check out the material on this old thread of mine.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...rael-back.html

Old 09-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Please provide the citation to the New Testament in which Jesus unequivocalbly stated that he was God.
He said He was the Alpha and Omega in the book of Revelation and He never denied being God but He never said the specific words you are asking for. He did say I AM. Come on you can't see the truth so you have to question everything and except no answers for anything.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Mike 555 posted:

>>Paul was the Lord's choice to replace Judas Iscariat.<<

Not according to the Acts of the Apostles. Paul did not accompany the apostles during the lifetime of the Lord, nor was he ever called an apostle by anyone but himself. Matthias replaced Judas.

“Let another take his position of overseer.”
21So one of the men who have accompanied us throughout the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us—one of these must become a witness with us to his resurrection.’ 23So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. 24Then they prayed and said, ‘Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which one of these two you have chosen 25to take the place* in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.’ 26And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Because the dispensation of the church was not revealed in the Old Testament there was no way for the Jews to know that there was to be a second coming.
Despensensationalism was not revealed in the OT or the NT because it's not in there....it is a 19th century teaching that was never taught prior to that time. I think the actual Jews (you know the ones who wrote the OT) know exactly who and what their Messiah is supposed to be and what he is supposed to accomplish in his lifetime....way better than John Darby.

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Thanks for the quotes but they did not say He wasn't God only that only God was good. He did ask why they called Him good and they did not respond. Come on, can't you do better than that?
You say to me "good cop, what can I do to stay out of jail?"
I reply, "why do you call me good? Only the judges are good."

I have just admitted that I am not a judge. Plain and simple.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You say to me "good cop, what can I do to stay out of jail?"
I reply, "why do you call me good? Only the judges are good."

I have just admitted that I am not a judge. Plain and simple.
Not really your here judging like crazy so have admitted nothing but actions speak louder than words. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity