Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Still waiting for you to show us where there is any mention that the Messiah will come be killed and then return a second time.
You'll be waiting until the cows come home...because that little spin is found NOWHERE IN THE HEBREW SCRIPTURES.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk
The bible is divinely inspired. It's claim is backed by it's prophesies which have come true.

Quote:
Then perhaps you can tell us just when Egypt was a desolate wasteland, devoid of man or beast for 40 years.
Still waiting Nikk!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
OK kids, it's movie time!!! (go to the 3min 30sec mark for the good stuff)

YouTube - Zeitgeist [Religion] The Greatest Story Ever Sold (1of 3)

If you didn't like part 1, part 2 and 3 only gets worse.
Very interesting but I have seen it all before. I do like the spin they put on it all but their is a logical Biblical explination for it all if you are willing to look and beleive.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus was by no means denying His deity. The young ruler who approached Jesus as recorded in Matthew 19:16 considered Jesus to be only a man. And yet he had called Jesus good. Jesus' reply to him that there is only one who is good was a reference to the absolute and perfect righteousness that extrinsically belongs only to the three members of the Godhead.
Oh noooooooo sir. Jesus said:
Quote:
Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God
This is what is written in Luke Chapter 18. Your savior admits that he does not deserve the title of "good" because only God deserves such a title. Now you can twist that verse all that you wish. The bible could not have been any clearer. This is a direct quote from Jesus himself found in your bible; True or False?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Can you show us just where in the Jewish texts it mentions a 'second coming'? As pointed out in post #51, the Messiah is to fulfil everything the first time around. There is no provision for a 'second coming'. That is merely a Christian invention to account for their boy not doing what he was supposed to have done.
Because the dispensation of the church was not revealed in the Old Testament there was no way for the Jews to know that there was to be a second coming. The Jews for that reason thought that everything in prophecy concerning the Messiah was to be fulfilled at the first appearance of the Messiah. The example that I gave which compared Luke 4:18 with Isaiah 61:1 shows the fact that the remainder of the prophecy of which Jesus quoted only the first part, is to be fulfilled at His Second Advent. Refer back to post #14.

The prophecy of Daniel 9:24-27 which concerns the seventy weeks and the Messiah still has 7 years left to complete. Each week refers to a year for a total of 490 years. Only 483 years of the prophecy have as yet been fulfilled. The remaining seven years is the seven year tribulation which will occur once the church has been raptured. During the tribulation there will be great judgment upon the earth. At the end of the tribulation, the nations of the world will come against Jerusalem and attack it. It is at this time that Jesus will return from heaven with His saints and destroy the attacking nations. He will then usher in the Millennial kingdom in which He will rule from the throne of David over all the earth. At that time the Abrahamic, Palestinian, Davidic, and New covenant to Israel will be fulfilled.

Quote:
Which would be...??

So you are taking a 'prophecy' from the Bible and then using the Bible to claim that it has been fulfilled. Circular logic anyone? Again, where does it say anything about a second coming?
Look to history for the fulfillment of Bible prophecy. An example is the first dispersal and subsequent regathering of Israel 70 years later.

The prophecy concerning Tyre is another one which history bears out. I see in another post that you disagree with that statement. You are wrong. Any honest study of the prophecy shows that it was fulfilled.

Quote:
Oh, the sword was rather effective for that purpose you know.
And whose sword was used to force the spread of Christianty? The apostles were facing great persecution because they were spreading the word and establishing Churches.

Quote:
All Paul saw of Jesus was a 'vision'.
Paul saw in a heavenly vision, the resurrected Christ who appeared to him in the midst of great light. Paul was blinded by this event and remained so until he met Ananias who laid hands on him and healed him (Acts 9:17-18). The content of Christ's conversation with Paul is recorded in Acts 26:14-18

Paul was fully endorsed by Peter.

2 Peter 3:14 'Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, 15] and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation, just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Paul was the Lord's choice to replace Judas Iscariat.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
If you had any interest in finding out the truth of the matter rather then simply trying to discredit the Bible, you would have devoted some time to study the material.
Honestly, I feel there is more truth behind the OT than there is truth in our modern day science books. However, that hidden truth in the OT has NOTHING to do with worshiping invisible sky people. Those OT writers believed in sky people that they actually interacted with physically. This is one obvious fact that many theists seem to have missed.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Oh noooooooo sir. Jesus said:
This is what is written in Luke Chapter 18. Your savior admits that he does not deserve the title of "good" because only God deserves such a title. Now you can twist that verse all that you wish. The bible could not have been any clearer. This is a direct quote from Jesus himself found in your bible; True or False?
Jesus never admitted anything but that He is God. Read the quote which you did not quote you only paraphrased.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Jesus never admitted anything but that He is God. Read the quote which you did not quote you only paraphrased.
RESPONSE:

Please provide the citation to the New Testament in which Jesus unequivocalbly stated that he was God.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Luke 18: 18-19 (King James Version; ie Old English)
Quote:
And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
Luke 18: 18-19 (American Standard Version; ie modern English)
Quote:
A certain ruler asked him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus asked him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good, except one--God.
Like I said. Jesus clearly admits that he is not "good" nor is he "God". Could the bible have been any clearer on this?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:13 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Because the dispensation of the church was not revealed in the Old Testament there was no way for the Jews to know that there was to be a second coming. The Jews for that reason thought that everything in prophecy concerning the Messiah was to be fulfilled at the first appearance of the Messiah.
Ah! So the Jews are not au fait with their own scriptures and prophecies.

Quote:
The prophecy concerning Tyre is another one which history bears out. I see in another post that you disagree with that statement. You are wrong.
No I'm not wrong. I have been there and can assure you that it is not a bare rock where fishermen spread their nets. It stands today where it has always stood and is the second most populated city in Lebanon. So much for 'though you be looked for you will never be found' and 'you will never be rebuilt'.

Quote:
And whose sword was used to force the spread of Christianty?
The sword of Christianity.

Quote:
Paul saw in a heavenly vision, ...
Yes, he never ever met this Jesus character. He wasn't there and saw nothing...other than a 'vision' (subjective unverifiable evidence).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity