Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You're joking right?????? We know exactly which came first.
We do? Where is this evidence?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I realize the Biblical writings has many similarities with other writing but which actually came first? Only theories can guess.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to co-sign with Christy on this one. The bible is a copy (full of bad translations) of MUCH older documents that come out of ancient Sumer (modern day Iraq) and ancient Egypt. Questioning which document came first is not even debatable.

FWIW, I used to be a hardcore Christian (Catholic to be exact; even attended Catholic school from K-8th). However, during religion class (yes; religion is required learning in a Christian school) the "God" that I believed in literally ceased to exist with almost every bible verse I read (especially after 6th grade as my mind got a little smarter).

In all honesty, keeping religion out of the public schools is one of the main reasons why America is a Christian Nation. Most American Christians only know what their pastor tells them on Sunday morning. IMO, Christianity needs to be required learning. If this were the case, most Christians will end up being non-Christians like me by the time they're 30 years old. Please don't take this as me being rude about "your faith" Christians. Just know that I've probably studied this faith (used to be my faith) with my "blinders" off longer than most Christians would dare try.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
This question is a "trap" and you know it. There are some sources out there that claim "no one really knows which religion came first". However, first semester college freshman World History tells us about Sumer (the first known civilization) and the Sumerian "Gods" (called the Annunaki). Now if I learned about this civilization at NC A&T State Univ, surely others have learned about this as well (assuming they attended high school or college). BTW, high schools are teaching about Sumer as well according to my step sons (10th and 9th graders).

Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Many of the world's religions have a sacred book which it is claimed or believed to have been authored by God.

For example, there is the Bible, the Koran, The book of Mormon, the Vedas, the Pali Tripitaka, the I Ching, the Chun Boo Kyung, etc. etc.

In western civilization the Bible usually is claimed to have divine authorship. But does it? What evidence, aside from it's own assertion, can be offered to prove divine rather than human authorship?

Aren't the claims for all holy books more or less the same?
The bible is divinely inspired. It's claim is backed by it's prophesies which have come true. The other books either do not make the claim that they are from God, are divinely inspired. Or they are known to be false and ficticious. Or their prophesies have proven them false.

The bible continues to be found a reliable historic document, spiritually fullfilling for the individual, And true. And all this despite the fact that it is constantly scrutinized and tested.

No other book has been required to jump through as many hoops in order to be believed.

The bible is the only book to hit the top sellers list every year since the invention of the printing press. In fact it was the first book printed. It is estimated that there have been between 2 to 6 billion copies sold. It is printed in practically every language in the world. That cannot be said by any other book in history.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna have to co-sign with Christy on this one. The bible is a copy (full of bad translations) of MUCH older documents that come out of ancient Sumer (modern day Iraq) and ancient Egypt. Questioning which document came first is not even debatable.

FWIW, I used to be a hardcore Christian (Catholic to be exact; even attended Catholic school from K-8th). However, during religion class (yes; religion is required learning in a Christian school) the "God" that I believed in literally ceased to exist with almost every bible verse I read (especially after 6th grade as my mind got a little smarter).

In all honesty, keeping religion out of the public schools is one of the main reasons why America is a Christian Nation. Most American Christians only know what their pastor tells them on Sunday morning. IMO, Christianity needs to be required learning. If this were the case, most Christians will end up being non-Christians like me by the time they're 30 years old. Please don't take this as me being rude about "your faith" Christians. Just know that I've probably studied this faith (used to be my faith) with my "blinders" off longer than most Christians would dare try.
Everything is debatable especialy history when things are theorized.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Jews are partially gathered back in the land in a state of unbelief. They will be fully gathered back into the land in a state of belief when Jesus returns at the end of the Tribulation.
Can you show us just where in the Jewish texts it mentions a 'second coming'? As pointed out in post #51, the Messiah is to fulfil everything the first time around. There is no provision for a 'second coming'. That is merely a Christian invention to account for their boy not doing what he was supposed to have done.

Quote:
I already stated this in the other post. I referred to the prophecies which have been fulfilled.
Which would be...??

Quote:
Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners; 2] To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn. 3] To grant those who mourn in Zion, Giving them a garland instead of ashes, The oil of gladness instesd of mourning, The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified. (The prophecy continues on to the end of the chapter)

When Jesus stood up in the synagogue and read from the scroll the Isaiah 61 prophecy as recorded in Luke 4:18, He stopped after He read the part about proclaiming the favorable year of the Lord because He had just fulfilled the prophecy up to that point. The rest of the prophecy is to be fulfilled at His return.
So you are taking a 'prophecy' from the Bible and then using the Bible to claim that it has been fulfilled. Circular logic anyone? Again, where does it say anything about a second coming?

Quote:
Legends take at least years to develop. Not 50 days. Had Jesus not been resurrected and seen by many people, including the Apostles, there would have been no spread of Christianity such as occurred.
Oh, the sword was rather effective for that purpose you know.

Quote:
Oh, you are one of those who doubt Paul. First, Paul saw the resurrected Christ on the Damascus road.
All Paul saw of Jesus was a 'vision'.

Quote:
Paul didn't have to name the more than 500 witnesses to Christ's resurrection. It was a known fact to the audience to whom Paul was speaking (1 Cor 15:6) that Jesus had appeared to them.
Taking your 'evidence' from the Bible again?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Ever heard of ARCHAEOLOGY???? Yeah...alrighty then....

Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible is divinely inspired. It's claim is backed by it's prophesies which have come true. The other books either do not make the claim that they are from God, are divinely inspired. Or they are known to be false and ficticious. Or their prophesies have proven them false.

The bible continues to be found a reliable historic document, spiritually fullfilling for the individual, And true. And all this despite the fact that it is constantly scrutinized and tested.

No other book has been required to jump through as many hoops in order to be believed.

The bible is the only book to hit the top sellers list every year since the invention of the printing press. In fact it was the first book printed. It is estimated that there have been between 2 to 6 billion copies sold. It is printed in practically every language in the world. That cannot be said by any other book in history.
Can't rep you so Good job.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Ever heard of ARCHEOLOGY???? Yeah...alrighty then....
Sure but what have you presented? Nothing but claims.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
You're joking right?????? We know exactly which came first.
Yes we do, because God talked to Adam and Eve in the Garden, so they believed God. This religion became the religion of Noah who sacrificed to God in same method as Abel. Abraham also followed this same religion leaving the Ur of the Chaldees (Kwuait) to follow the God of Noah. He even tithed (gave money and good in order to be blessed) to Melchisedek the priest of Salem (aka Shem the son of Noah).

It was Moses who wrote down the history of Abraham, Issac and Jaccob from the histories that he learned of in the courts of Pharoh. Some other religious writting might predate Moses' writting of the the Torah, but their religion does not preceed the religion of Moses and Abraham and Issac and Jaccob. In fact all other religions are based on the religion of Noah who is grandfather to all the nations of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity