Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post

Aren't the claims for all holy books more or less the same?
Every body believes something. Some believe the truth, some believe a lie.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Makes sense to me.

I know what you're saying, and I agree with you up to a point. I do think, however, that if you were to start reading any one of these books with the idea in mind that it's just a bunch of "bs," you wouldn't get much out of it. I think you've got to be open to the possibility that there is something of value there in order to be able to find it.
As much as I am an agnostic, I don't completely discredit ALL of the bible. There are SOME portions of it I would consider beneficial for some people and, for me, it provides valuable insight into the primitive mindset of ancient man.

Oh, I was once a fundamentalist and I once read the bible as one with the literal interpretations and popular apologetic slants. Some people fail to realize that and think because I now an agnostic I somehow forgot how they interpret its contents.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
As much as I am an agnostic, I don't completely discredit ALL of the bible. There are SOME portions of it I would consider beneficial for some people and, for me, it provides valuable insight into the primitive mindset of ancient man.

Oh, I was once a fundamentalist and I once read the bible as one with the literal interpretations and popular apologetic slants. Some people fail to realize that and think because I now an agnostic I somehow forgot how they interpret its contents.
Interesting. I didn't realize that you were once a fundamentalist. Good to know you aren't any longer.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:55 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Mike 555 posted:

>>The prophecies of the Old Testament which have been historically fulfilled attest to the divine authorship of the Bible. <<

RESPONSE:

No. There are a number of prophecies never fulfilled by Jesus or any of the other messiah candidate. For example, the Jews have not yet been gathered back ro the land of Israel (Is 43), universal peace hasn't been established (Is 2:4), God didn't become king over the whole world (Zec 14.9), and a messiah has never sat of the throne of Israel.
There is no such thing as a messiah candidate. There is but one Messiah, and that is Jesus Christ.

The Jews are partially gathered back in the land in a state of unbelief. They will be fully gathered back into the land in a state of belief when Jesus returns at the end of the Tribulation. I already stated this in the other post. I referred to the prophecies which have been fulfilled. There remain many more to be fulfilled upon Christs return.

The following prophecy of Isaiah 61 has both a near term and a long term view. It covers both the first and second advent of Christ, without revealing that the dispensation of the church is to take place between the two comings of Christ.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners; 2] To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn. 3] To grant those who mourn in Zion, Giving them a garland instead of ashes, The oil of gladness instesd of mourning, The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified. (The prophecy continues on to the end of the chapter)

When Jesus stood up in the synagogue and read from the scroll the Isaiah 61 prophecy as recorded in Luke 4:18, He stopped after He read the part about proclaiming the favorable year of the Lord because He had just fulfilled the prophecy up to that point. The rest of the prophecy is to be fulfilled at His return.

Luke 4:18 "THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES, AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED, 19] TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.''

The Millennial kingdom is to be established upon the Lord's return and that is when He will reign as King.

To better understand the significance of modern day Israel, refer to an earlier thread of mine, the link to which is immediately below.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...rael-back.html

Quote:
>>There was no time lag between His resurrection and the beginning of the establishment of those churches<<

Not true. The immediate followers of Jesus remained a sect of orthodox Temple worshipping Jews. Christian churches were only established after the original Jerusalem Christian community was crushed.
You didn't quote my entire statement. I said the following: There was no time lag between His resurrection and the beginning of the establishment of those churches and the spreading of His message sufficent for a legend concerning Jesus to develop.

The church age began on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1) 50 days after Jesus' resurrection. The true church - the body of believers who are a new creation (2 Cor 5:17) consist of both Jews and Gentiles who, having believed in Christ for salvation lose their distinction of Jew and Gentile and are called Church - Gal 3:28 'There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is niether male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Now obviously just as a male remains a male and a female remains a female after believing in Christ, so too does a physical Jew remain a physical Jew and a Gentile a Gentile, but the Jew during the Church-age belongs to the body of Christ called church and will inherit the promises that belong to the Church, and will not inherit the promises that belong to Israel. Israel and church are two different peoples.

Regarding the establishment of local churches, places where groups of believers gathered for worship, this began immediately upon the beginning of the church-age and is a subject of the book of Acts.

Legends take at least years to develop. Not 50 days. Had Jesus not been resurrected and seen by many people, including the Apostles, there would have been no spread of Christianity such as occurred.

Quote:
>>There were many hundreds of people who saw Jesus after He resurrected.<<

We only have Paul's claim for this and he wasn't a witness to the Resurrection, nor does he name the witnesses. Moveover, Luke claims that Jesus ascended to heaven on the eve of the Resurrection and was only seen by Jesus' immediate disciples.
Oh, you are one of those who doubt Paul. First, Paul saw the resurrected Christ on the Damascus road. Second, Paul had Peter's full endorsment. 2 Peter 3:15 'And regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures to thier own destruction.

Paul didn't have to name the more than 500 witnesses to Christ's resurrection. It was a known fact to the audience to whom Paul was speaking (1 Cor 15:6) that Jesus had appeared to them. As Paul said, most of those people to whom the resurrected Christ had appeared were still alive at the time he was speaking. Had what he said not been true there were plenty of people who could have disputed what he said.

Quote:
>>Only the Bible is the word of God.<<

That's an assumption which you have not evidenced.
No it's not an assumption. The Bible is the written word of God. And it is the only written word of God. Apparently you aren't a believer!

As previously said regarding those who wrote those books you mentioned , 'unless they believed in Jesus Christ for salvation before they died, the authors of the Koran, The book of Mormon, the Vedas, the Pali Tripitaka, the I Ching, the Chun Boo Kyung, etc. etc., are in Hades today awaiting their sentencing to the eternal lake of fire.'

Is the Bible truly God's Word?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No it's not an assumption. The Bible is the written word of God. And it is the only written word of God. Apparently you aren't a believer!
Lots of us aren't nor are we required to believe your personal reality. As it is has been said, everyone's entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,092 times
In II Timothy 3:16 & 17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and (purpose) is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (reason v 17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilu1429 View Post
In II Timothy 3:16 & 17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and (purpose) is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (reason v 17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Hello, vickilu. I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

I think the question here is "What is scripture?"

Old 09-06-2010, 12:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
to be divinely inspired there would have to be a belief in divinity. this much i can tell you. from the abundance of korean war data available. atheists break down much easier under torture. for this reason i am so glad my grandfather did not get captured.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-06-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize that you were once a fundamentalist. Good to know you aren't any longer.
Yes, because being agnostic is better than believing in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior

Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Yes, because being agnostic is better than believing in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
Not at all. I would never suggest that it's better to be an agnostic than to be a Christian. But whenever a person says he's no longer a fundamentalist Christian, that's one fewer people telling me I don't worship the "real Christ." I just wonder if the people who are always telling me that have ever stopped to consider how it comes across.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-06-2010 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity