Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:25 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times

Advertisements

Creflo Dollar...boy that name brought back some memories. I forgot all about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Well since folks like Miss_Shawn thinks I am being one-sided, here's Kenneth Hagin and Kenneth Copeland in, "How I found Jesus, but lost my mind!"

Enjoy!

YouTube - Kenneth Hagin & Kenneth Copeland - Pentecostal Bedlam

Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Creflo Dollar...boy that name brought back some memories. I forgot all about him.
Share dem memories.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I come from the Caribbean where thngs are a little different. In the U.S, EVERYTHING is black OR white so everyone is on edge the minute a color or race is mentioned even if making a simple point as I tried to make. Both sides CAN be VERY guilty of this.

I'm surprised no one jumped all over the idea that this thread was trying to point out that white folks (Hagin, Copeland, etc) once again mirred black folks in nonsense and thus, some secret conspiracy to further destroy black people. While that was NOT the point of this thread, I am surprised that bit of speculation was not mentioned.
Unfortunately...you are right about that Insane...racism is very much alive and well in the good Ole USA...it's a sorry state of affairs. I can honestly say, that I wasn't raised that way....I am a white girl and I grew up in the heart of Chicago, in a neighborhood where we had ALL races and nationalities...some of my best friends were black, philipino, chinese, mexican, puerto rican, italian, polish, etc...I never really understood anything about racism until I joined the military and now living in AL....I see it all the time....and it truly disgusts me.

I guess people (and I'm referring to white Christian people/who sometimes seem to be the most racist here in AL) don't ever take the time to realize, or maybe they simply choose to ignore the fact, that Jesus wasn't a white dude...go figure.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
Share dem memories.
I remember being quite young, maybe 20, and he had some crazy type of infomercial that was on tv that I found very funny. I believe I used to make fun of him.

Obviously..that CAN'T be his real last name. Who changes their last name to Dollar? LOL.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
What some people do in the "name" of G-d.

YouTube - WORST ASSAULT at Todd Bentley Raging Revival part 3

He also kicked an elderly woman in the face with his jackboot.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Unfortunately...you are right about that Insane...racism is very much alive and well in the good Ole USA...it's a sorry state of affairs. I can honestly say, that I wasn't raised that way....I am a white girl and I grew up in the heart of Chicago, in a neighborhood where we had ALL races and nationalities...some of my best friends were black, philipino, chinese, mexican, puerto rican, italian, polish, etc...I never really understood anything about racism until I joined the military and now living in AL....I see it all the time....and it truly disgusts me.

I guess people (and I'm referring to white Christian people/who sometimes seem to be the most racist here in AL) don't ever take the time to realize, or maybe they simply choose to ignore the fact, that Jesus wasn't a white dude...go figure.
You are indeed correct and religion has spawned so much racism and ethnocentrism over the centuries. This is one reason I reject it so harshly. Of course there are some wonderful religious folks and some have actually managed to glean out some biblical precepts to follow to walk above the racist nonsense.

As a black person I grew up at a time in a culture that really did not view white folks too kindly and this was in the tourism dominated Virgin Islands, but then again, this was just a few years out from the racial tensions in the U.S in the 60s and 70s. To make matters worse, on St. Croix things came to a head with the infamous Fountain Valley murders which, some speculate, was a culmination of years of white folks coming to our islands and trying to turn them into 1950s South Carolina (exclusive white only clubs, entitlement, treating natives as second class citizens on their own islands). We were islands of mixture for years that co-existed peacefully despite our own history of slavery; however, American whites brought this black Vs white nonsense followed by returning native war veterans who themselves became tainted with the foolishness during their time in the states and soon all hell broke loose on St. Croix.

Yes, I grew up listening to [some] rastamen using religion (like whites before them) to hate others. Then I was exposed to Black Muslims taking it a step further claiming white folks were actually products of the devil. It was old fashioned demonizing of a race to make it easier to hate. Sure, many black folks had reasons without religion to have a bad taste in their mouths, but religion seems to make it all the more easier to push it across with unabashed glee and enthusiasm. I have NO tolerance for any of that nonsense on either side.

That aside and back to the topic at hand, I always had a serious problem with the idea of greed and ridiculous extravagance in the name of religion which, at least for Christianity, is supposed to be one of humility. I know it is NOT a crime to be rich and I know some people do work hard for what they have, but the excess in the face of so many in need really rubs me raw. The whole bling mentality that seems to be running wild in the black community from rap music to church gets under my skin so it is no surprise that folks like Eddie Long and Creflo Dollar are in my crosshairs because of what I see them doing to black folks compunded by the fact that they are using, what I firmly believe is a myth, to sell their nonsense.

I've always pointed out that inthe 80s and 90s when those "you can be rich like me" informercials used to ride the late night airwaves, they HAD to place a fine-print disclaimer at the bottom of the screen stating that "actual results may vary" knowing full well that for every 1 person that their product might work for, 70,000 would not find any success. When a minister stands in a pulpit, laden with bling, talking about his wealth that god has blessed him with, selling people on the idea of invisible goods/products (heaven, hell, gods, demons, angels, wealth, perfect health), they are NOT required to use disclaimers and will quickly tell you that if you fail, you need to buy yet another product like, "The secrets of prayer" to receive god's blessing. Robbery at the highest level I tell ya.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You are indeed correct and religion has spawned so much racism and ethnocentrism over the centuries. This is one reason I reject it so harshly. Of course there are some wonderful religious folks and some have actually managed to glean out some biblical precepts to follow to walk above the racist nonsense.

As a black person I grew up at a time in a culture that really did not view white folks too kindly and this was in the tourism dominated Virgin Islands, but then again, this was just a few years out from the racial tensions in the U.S in the 60s and 70s. To make matters worse, on St. Croix things came to a head with the infamous Fountain Valley murders which, some speculate, was a culmination of years of white folks coming to our islands and trying to turn them into 1950s South Carolina (exclusive white only clubs, entitlement, treating natives as second class citizens on their own islands). We were islands of mixture for years that co-existed peacefully despite our own history of slavery; however, American whites brought this black Vs white nonsense followed by returning native war veterans who themselves became tainted with the foolishness during their time in the states and soon all hell broke loose on St. Croix.

Yes, I grew up listening to [some] rastamen using religion (like whites before them) to hate others. Then I was exposed to Black Muslims taking it a step further claiming white folks were actually products of the devil. It was old fashioned demonizing of a race to make it easier to hate. Sure, many black folks had reasons without religion to have a bad taste in their mouths, but religion seems to make it all the more easier to push it across with unabashed glee and enthusiasm. I have NO tolerance for any of that nonsense on either side.

That aside and back to the topic at hand, I always had a serious problem with the idea of greed and ridiculous extravagance in the name of religion which, at least for Christianity, is supposed to be one of humility. I know it is NOT a crime to be rich and I know some people do work hard for what they have, but the excess in the face of so many in need really rubs me raw. The whole bling mentality that seems to be running wild in the black community from rap music to church gets under my skin so it is no surprise that folks like Eddie Long and Creflo Dollar are in my crosshairs because of what I see them doing to black folks compunded by the fact that they are using, what I firmly believe is a myth, to sell their nonsense.

I've always pointed out that inthe 80s and 90s when those "you can be rich like me" informercials used to ride the late night airwaves, they HAD to place a fine-print disclaimer at the bottom of the screen stating that "actual results may vary" knowing full well that for every 1 person that their product might work for, 70,000 would not find any success. When a minister stands in a pulpit, laden with bling, talking about his wealth that god has blessed him with, selling people on the idea of invisible goods/products (heaven, hell, gods, demons, angels, wealth, perfect health), they are NOT required to use disclaimers and will quickly tell you that if you fail, you need to buy yet another product like, "The secrets of prayer" to receive god's blessing. Robbery at the highest level I tell ya.
I'm in total agreement with you. I've always said that if someone truly wanted to share the word and if they were sincere...they would do it for free.

I went to a Joyce Meyer event with one of my friends a few years ago (what a mistake that was) and I saw first hand how she manipulated the crowd beforehand to get them to fill her bucket as they passed it around....I was truly disgusted by the entire thing. She also makes the statement, quite regularly, that since she had endured such a rough childhood, God has blessed her with all the houses, cars, jewelry and money because of it and that she deserves everything she has....she simply shows no remorse at all for fleecing people.

I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that millions of people support evangelists like this...even seeing first hand and knowing all about their lavish lifestyles...they continue to support them....I'm dumbfounded by it all.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
Quote:

Well, I do not adhere to following a religiously prescribes set of principles when it comes to listening to a group tell me what I should or shouldn't do. I perhaps could be called religious but I try to do the best I can and believe that the God I serve expects me to use the brain he gave me to do that and expects me to be accountable for everything I do in some way.

I also realize this is a forum where pointing out religious flaws is "on topic" so to speak.

However with said, we also must keep in mind that racism has no grounding except in individuals who keep acting in that manner. Religion (and I have done this as well) is a convenient excuse to actually overlook individuals that have poor character no matter what they say they believe.

When I encounter people that actually express a racist thought, religion does not actually come to mind, I think what a poor thought that person had.

To hate religion, while pointing out the good people within it is hypocritical, if religion is the power of evil that causes this behavior, then there could not be good people in it and there is no need to qualify a comment about the good ones.

This actually slights the good ones whether you realize it or not.

As I said, I have done the same thing and strive to look past the group mentality and realize that no one needs religion as an excuse to be evil or simply to be a jerk with an axe to grind.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Well, I do not adhere to following a religiously prescribes set of principles when it comes to listening to a group tell me what I should or shouldn't do. I perhaps could be called religious but I try to do the best I can and believe that the God I serve expects me to use the brain he gave me to do that and expects me to be accountable for everything I do in some way.

I also realize this is a forum where pointing out religious flaws is "on topic" so to speak.

However with said, we also must keep in mind that racism has no grounding except in individuals who keep acting in that manner. Religion (and I have done this as well) is a convenient excuse to actually overlook individuals that have poor character no matter what they say they believe.

When I encounter people that actually express a racist thought, religion does not actually come to mind, I think what a poor thought that person had.

To hate religion, while pointing out the good people within it is hypocritical, if religion is the power of evil that causes this behavior, then there could not be good people in it and there is no need to qualify a comment about the good ones.

This actually slights the good ones whether you realize it or not.

As I said, I have done the same thing and strive to look past the group mentality and realize that no one needs religion as an excuse to be evil or simply to be a jerk with an axe to grind.
I'm in agreement with you...but....you and I both live in the REAL world where, unfortunately, religious folks do tend to set themselves up as holier/better than everyone else. Religion and religious beliefs are exclusivist in nature....even that is evidenced by the arguments seen day in and day out on CD over the different doctrines and dogmas that are adhered to. You're either in or your out according to somebody...and there are as many different opinions as to who qualifies as being "in" as there is as to who qualifies as being "out". I don't see alot of difference in that....it is just another form of racism....know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity