Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:19 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,462 times

Advertisements

If the principle of "progression" is eternally true, why is it that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not gods of their own worlds? Also, if Moroni devoutly practiced the Mormon Gospel, why is he an angel now rather than a God?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 AM

Why do Mormons emphasize part of the Word of Wisdom and ignore the part forbidding the eating of meat except in winter, cold or famine?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,587 times
Hello Katzpur, I always took the God and Goddess thing as we will become like God.
I always belived we keep learning after death either by recarnation or moving to a different plane
I do not think that Joseph Smith is placed higher than any other religous leader or founder
This is a great thead thank you so much for it.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Why do Mormons emphasize part of the Word of Wisdom and ignore the part forbidding the eating of meat except in winter, cold or famine?
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Try to read as follows.
And it is pleasing unto me that they should not, be used only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Does this help ?
In other words, we should partake of that kind of sustenance at any time, not just ONLY in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

But ...

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,634,173 times
Another question: How do you reconcile absolutely no archaelogical or historical evidence for anything written in the Book of Mormon. How about a pot from a mentioned ancient city? Ancient cities in the Americas, fact or fiction?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,634,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Okay, next question: How do you reconcile the recent change on regarding the salvation of African-Americans?
Many believe that when the Mormon Church had a "revelation" that Blacks could become priests, it was really to protect their Tax-Exempt 503(c) status. There seems to be some legitimacy to that. So the Mormon church was wrong about that up until that point and then they received a revelation. How do you come to terms with things like this:

Joseph Fielding Smith (10th LDS President) wrote the following:
"There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantage. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less.... There were no neutrals in the war in heaven. All took sides either with Christ or with Satan. Every man had his agency there, and men receive rewards here based upon their actions there, just as they will receive rewards hereafter for deeds done in the body. The Negro, evidently, is receiving the reward he merits."
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, pages 66-67

I am fully aware that Catholic popes have done some dumb things, but the doctrine has stayed true. But this is doctrinal racism. How can you explain away that church was completely doctrinally racist for about 100 years or even longer if you believe the Mormon timeline of events? Do you think Jesus was racist?

And what this concept of a prior to life "estate" (pre-existence)?

Last edited by juj; 10-07-2010 at 02:12 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The only sin for which the blood of Christ cannot (perhaps a better word word be "will not") atone is the unforgiveable sin, which is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. The LDS understanding of "blasphemy against the Holy Ghost" is "willfully denying Christ after having received a perfect knowledge of Him from the Holy Ghost." The key word here is "perfect." Very few human beings have ever lived who have had a perfect knowledge of Christ. My own feeling is that the Apostle Peter may have had such knowledge. Had he denied Christ after having received this perfect knowledge, he would have been guilty of this sin. Of course, he didn't.
Hopefully this won't hijack the thread, just after reading this, thought I would chime in.

I think Mormons and Christians in Christianity alike suffer from the fear of comitting blasphemy against the Holy Ghost so they have to come up with ways to say they don't because they have the idea that something termed unforgivable means eternal damnation.

If the Holy spirit has more to do than enable someone to accept Christ, then there is other times in which blasphemy of the holy ghost can take place and I think everyone has comitted it.

With that said, what is the Mormon view of what happens to someone who actually does commit it?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Katspur,
Although I don't agree with much of Mormonism, I want to thank you for posting and sharing and explaining a bit. Christians are often intolerant of "other" beliefs, and you have certainly been tried here.
Good elaboration!

Blessings to you and all as we move towards the Kingdom of God,
brian

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Try to read as follows.
And it is pleasing unto me that they should not, be used only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Does this help ?
In other words, we should partake of that kind of sustenance at any time, not just ONLY in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

But ...

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
Read 12 and 13 together and it clearly does not say what you are trying to make it say. Lorezno Snow and apostle George Teasdale repeatedly emphasized the importance of eating meat sparingly, but when Joseph S. Smith became president the emphasis was dropped.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post

Joseph Fielding Smith (10th LDS President) wrote the following:
"There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantage. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less.... There were no neutrals in the war in heaven. All took sides either with Christ or with Satan. Every man had his agency there, and men receive rewards here based upon their actions there, just as they will receive rewards hereafter for deeds done in the body. The Negro, evidently, is receiving the reward he merits."
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, pages 66-67
YIKES!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity