Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Not a trick question, but why would your loving god engage in roasting (dead) humans? Do you actually visualize him standing at a death camp oven, wearing welder's goggles, yelling "next!". It is just stunning what dangerous stunts the human imagination is capable of.

And I am NOT singling you out, sophialee. I am sad for anyone and everyone who dwells on this for any length of time, even once. Life here on this earth is wonderful and sacred so why do people insist on creating heinous images of what will not ever happen?
Honestly I try not to think about it too much. It makes me depressed. I just tell myself that His ways are not my ways and there is a lot many of us can't see or understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,380,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"There would be no reason for correction, if no error existed."

After reading the Old Testament, I realized that there was a ribbon of truth (the living Spirit) within, blended with the thoughts of men who would slaughter innocent women and children, dashing babies against the rocks, and sacrificing their own to flames of fire. It’s just one of the reasons that I was never indoctrinated into "Hell Fire." As I had mentioned, "All of Scripture is inspired and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness; but not many understand what it means to be admonished by the Spirit, nor are they open to being corrected and truly trained in the ways of righteousness." Again, one word describes this, that of Syncretism. Historically, languages have changed and so have the definitions based on the words of men who attempted to reconcile their own form of justice without mercy. Just look into almost any dictionary and you will see the additions of man's thoughts, especially when it comes to Religion. Hell and Eternity are only two examples that most on this forum are already aware of, however, the numbers run into the thousands. Satan is another one of those words that has been defined from the minds of men. Perhaps that is enough said, although I sincerely hope it was a good and acceptable stretch for your imagination, nothing wrong with exercising the ineffectiveness of fables – if your mind is set on them.

"Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have come to call not the righteous, but sinners."

Now, ask yourself why did Jesus correct the Pharisee’s?
Why were they his adversary and accusers?
It was nice to see this today! Thanks, Jerwade!

Blessings,
Brian

Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Honestly I try not to think about it too much. It makes me depressed. I just tell myself that His ways are not my ways and there is a lot many of us can't see or understand.
I am not singling you out either, sophialee . . . But that lame excuse and others like it have retained the satanic corruption of the Gospel for 2000+ years as the retention of unquestioning ignorance was praised as a sign of faith.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,767,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If that's the interpretation you accept, than I think you have to do a mighty lot of moral pretzel-twisting to make it agree with your deepest sense of morality and decency.
LOL "moral pretzel-twisting" that's funny. It's how I interpret what they meant when the lake of fire was written into it. Lake of fire to me means ...well fire. The dead are risen, judged, punished in the lake of fire. I don't get my morality or decency from it I just saw it in the bible when I read it. Wish I could find my old notes to show you where it was.

BTW how long is an eternity?

Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post

About as long as waiting for a stop light to change from red to green when your late for work.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Hi sophialee , the scripture you are quoting does not mean His ways are beyond understanding , it simply means He operates the exact opposite in to the way those who do not know Him . For example He loves His enemies insteading of hating them , He blesses those who curses Him(really he does), We retaliate , He turns the other cheek,He walks the extra mile . To the carnal mind these things are hard to understand , but for those who know "He is love" , it's just God being God.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,420,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Incorrect. Like I mentioned earlier, when archaeologists found the dead sea scrolls with the Biblical texts inside, they wanted to compare the old text to the new, and because of the theory which you also offer about ever changing languages and translations, they thought they would prove that the Bible has changed beyond recognition over the centuries because languages change and because the Bible has been copied over and over. However, when they performed the comparison, they were amazed to discover that the new and the old were practically identical word for word.

The Lord has protected His word from changes for hundreds of years. This is precisely why people can't come in and discredit the Bible like you just tried to do.
"In the face of an intolerable world, words appear to change very little."

1) Truth or falsehood.

2) Right and wrong.
3) Life verses death.
4) Good, as contrasted with evil.
5) Righteousness, compared to that of unrighteous.
6) The inspiration of the Spirit; and those within the thoughts of men.

An endless seeker with no past at my back!
Again, "All Scripture is inspired and profitable for teaching; for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness."
However, not many understand what it means to be admonished by the Spirit, neither are they open to being corrected, and truly trained in the ways of righteousness.

Therefore, they remain unprofitable without a proper contrast of, or comparison with, that of something else which distinguishes it from the other thing; and the absence
of one, leaves only the presence of the other. But you may want to think about it for another millennium.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,380,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
About as long as waiting for a stop light to change from red to green when your late for work.
Or maybe when you're leaving work!!!

Blessings!
Brian

Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
LOL "moral pretzel-twisting" that's funny. It's how I interpret what they meant when the lake of fire was written into it. Lake of fire to me means ...well fire. The dead are risen, judged, punished in the lake of fire. I don't get my morality or decency from it I just saw it in the bible when I read it. Wish I could find my old notes to show you where it was.

What I meant by that is to call this 'justice.' It's a kind of justice I can't even begin to imagine. If that's God's idea of justice, and Jesus expects us to follow his example, we should be torturing people. Of course you say God has a different standard; sure, but then we should not be calling God 'merciful.' Unless we re-define mercy.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,767,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What I meant by that is to call this 'justice.' It's a kind of justice I can't even begin to imagine. If that's God's idea of justice, and Jesus expects us to follow his example, we should be torturing people. Of course you say God has a different standard; sure, but then we should not be calling God 'merciful.' Unless we re-define mercy.
You have a good point. I think god is called merciful because of Jesus, being god in human form, gave his life for everyone. I was taught anyone who died before christ went to hell for sinning. Especially if they died before repenting. When christ came he went to hades/hell and took the keys to heaven then freed all the sinners who did believe in god and tried to obey two of which would be Adam and Eve. Once christ came that changed everything by god giving himself since Jesus was the christ, god in human form and god therefore sacrificed himself for sinners knowing no human could be without sin. In his mercy he gave us Jesus which he didn't have to do.

What makes no sense to me is how did he do that? I was told he took our sins all at once and died for our sins, took our place in hell for us, paid the price and so on.... but he didn't really die where as if sinners and unbelievers who died without accepting god, christ do go to hell and do die a second spiritual death..... so why do they and why would anyone for that matter since he came and died for the sinners? he didn't die a second death yet he supposedly took the place of the sin that puts the sinners in the second death. How could it be considered that he or anyone died to save souls? Jesus is not said to be in eternal torment that to me means he didn't take our place. Why say/write in the bible that souls are placed in an eternal hell fire if god is merciful. Would it be that the mercy was giving a way out through belief in Jesus as being the christ which is instant salvation even without works for gentiles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity