Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times

Advertisements

There is no change in the Sabbath day. It was the placed on the seventh day by God back in Ex. However Christians have the liberty to worship any day of the week. Acts 2:46 "And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, " However the master did command Christians to remember him. Matt 26

26And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.
Paul spoke about it in 1 Corith 11

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

So on what day do Christ remember Jesus' sacrifice? That is where Act 20:7 comes in. The Christians did not come together to listen to Paul, they came together to break bread Act 20:7 7"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread," Paul seized the opportunity to speak to them since he would not be returning. He waited 7 days to deliver his final message 6And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days. Now Paul was in a hurry 16For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost. But he waited for the Day Christians would be gathering. The First day of the Week. Jews remember the Sabbath because of their exodus from Egypt on the seventh day . Christian remember Jesus' death on the First day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 PM

234 posts, read 238,984 times
Ac 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.....

Read this carefully. The Gentiles asked Paul to further explain to them the gospel. They loved the new teaching, they dearly wanted to know all there was to know of this Saviour, Jesus Christ. When was it that they desired to hear again from Paul? The next Sabbath!!! Now be honest folks. Please. If Sunday was then in vogue as so many claim, why oh why did Paul not say so? Here was the perfect opportunity to explain the change from Sabbath to Sunday. Just one short statement such as "Meet us tomorrow, Sunday is now the Lord's day" would have sufficed. But no. What happened?

.....44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

And later in his ministry, the writer of Acts said of Paul:

17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.
4 And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.

Note that in the synagogues were Jews and Greeks (Gentiles). Three Sabbath days in a row, and not one suggestion or hint or intimation of any meeting on a Sunday. Then a little later...

18:1 ¶ After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;
2 And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome and came unto them.
3 And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers.
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Note carefully...every Sabbath...both Jews and Greeks!!!

You can be fully assured that Paul was not repairing or making tents on the Sabbath. What was he doing? Resting and preaching the word according to the commandment. To both gentiles, and Jews, in fact to anyone who would listen, and not just in the synagogues, but also by the riverside.

And throughout the course of his life, Paul was constantly attacked, vilified, persecuted, beaten, and imprisoned because of his faith. The Jews were relentless in their pursuit of him and in their hatred and determination to see him killed. And throughout this great battle of minds and the accompanying spiritual warfare the controversy centred around the new faith and its new beliefs.
And the main difference? Circumcision. Nothing else. Read Acts 24 when Paul stood before his accusers and Felix. Paul answered:

Acts 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.
16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.

Since the Exodus, the Sabbath has been the central institution of the Jewish nation. That was why the other days were named 1st day, 2nd day, 3rd day, 4th day etc, 1st day after the Sabbath.... Yet throughout Paul's illustrious career, not one hint or suggestion of accusation from any Jew at any time anywhere that Paul even once, failed to keep the Sabbath day holy. And likewise, only once, just once, was there an actual meeting on the first day Sunday, and that was actually Saturday evening after dark, continuing to midnight. Very likely a continuation from a normal Sabbath meeting. And the purpose of the extended meeting on that Saturday night? It was to farewell Paul who was travelling the next day (Sunday morning!!!! note...not going to church!!!) to another city.

The evidence for the establishment of Sunday as a replacement for Sabbath within a Biblical context is flimsy at best, circumstantial only, and is an extremely shaky foundation upon which to build such an important doctrine.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:19 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,677,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-anso View Post
There is no change in the Sabbath day. It was the placed on the seventh day by God back in Ex.
...correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-anso
However Christians have the liberty to worship any day of the week. Acts 2:46 "And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, " However the master did command Christians to remember him. Matt 26
...correct.

Quote:
26And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.
Paul spoke about it in 1 Corith 11

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
...correct.

Quote:
So on what day do Christians remember Jesus' sacrifice? That is where Act 20:7 comes in. The Christians did not come together to listen to Paul, they came together to break bread Act 20:7 7"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread," Paul seized the opportunity to speak to them since he would not be returning. He waited 7 days to deliver his final message 6And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days. Now Paul was in a hurry 16For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost. But he waited for the Day Christians would be gathering. The First day of the Week. Jews remember the Sabbath because of their exodus from Egypt on the seventh day . Christian remember Jesus' death on the First day of the week.
...correct.

So the Sabbath is from Friday evening sundown until Saturday evening sundown...and we are to keep this set aside and holy..we are to rest on this day and do no work...just rest in Him and glorify Him in all we say and do.

Anyone can fellowship on any day they choose with other Christians..breaking bread and gathering together in Spirit and in Truth and in songs of praise and worship...but do not forsake the seventh day Sabbath...to keep it holy unto God. Amen.

God Bless.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 PM

130 posts, read 164,813 times
Very good stuff here, I would like to know brakelite, Verna and Phil are you adventists or some denomination or not?

Paul though had many more changes in the law or what he taught with the Jews then just circumcision, for there was the change in eating requirements to what you want, you can mix fabrics, you do not keep the sacrificial system, For Peter and Paul lived as the Gentiles, but kept God's moral commands, all 10 commandments and other things of the OT too, heaven and earth will not pass till all in the law and prophets be fulfilled. But we do not keep passover we now have the Lord's Supper in 1 Cor 11:17+ we have a change of the law Heb 7:12 and getting to what comes into the NT from the old Paul explains,

We do not muzzle out the ox that treads out the corn Paul used, I Cor 9, part of the law

We do not revile the leaders of our people was in the end of Acts, part of law

And many others, Keeping God's commands is not legalism, it is obeying

But given so much is so clear of right and wrong, it is interesting that people have such trouble, with what is stated as right and wrong behaviour in the new testament. So clearly

How we dress, pray, baptism, fasting, Lord's Supper, faith and works,

Love, Love, Hope, Faith, to forsake all and pick up your cross and help the poor, to walk on water,

The problem is people just don't want to obey it so they don't see the thousands of things that are taught that make up the way we live and run our lives in Love of Him as Christians

Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah to come View Post
Very good stuff here, I would like to know brakelite, Verna and Phil are you adventists or some denomination or not?...
No P.T. I am not any of those things...I am a Follower of Christ...walking in His light and truth... being all I can be IN Him......and loving every single minute of it!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 AM

130 posts, read 164,813 times
Great verna, it will be interesting to see about the other two for me,

A Sabbath Days Journey from mount olivet to Jerusalem, God went to heaven on the Sabbath (Sunday to Sunday 5 times is 35 days, then 5 more days from Sunday is Friday or a total of 40 days from the resurection)

We do not kindle fire or pick up sticks, but we can eat off the tree if hungry

We do not buy sell or trade or work or have others or family that do, we rest

We get things ready before and just eat and rest listen to music read the bible, I prayed and prayed to ask how far to go, if someone needs help help them, emergencies go to the hospital or light a fire

He took me over and wouldn't let me turn on lights, kindling fire he said, I could open the fridge, listen to the radio, use ac and heat, but no cooking or lights or shopping or traveling, walking a bit with in a few miles, is a car kindling fire?

And what about working six days to

retirement and living it up at the end of the world

And in the fourth commandment is a reward, in 6 days God created the heavens and the earth and all that is in them, so interestingly Haley for some reason didn't think the earth was part of creation, But everything we normally see in this universe is about 6300 years old only 6 days apart the first ones of course and it is clear you can follow from Genesis and Adam to Ezra to get the date of creation, we are at about 6287 years old they do some rounding of months, but it is simple math.

Oh diamonds, you know Jacob was 84 years old when he had four young virgin girls two sister cousins funny, he was old, got them at the same time, I wonder given the law is not abolished, can a Christian who is not an elder, deacon or bishop have David or Solomons life, is there really a place in the NT that says you can not have more than one wife or just have your own wife, not some elses or fornicating. Funny David was not in adultery having more that one wife, got two at the same time, I mean Jacob a sinner, four young virgins at the same time Solomon a sinner in Song of Songs with 60 queens, 80 other wives and virgins without number not sin, God is funny they loved Him these are the strongest Christians on the planet, Abraham, Moses, Gideon not sin, people think things

Do we drink, water into wine and the Lord's Supper using red wine and we can't drink that it is sin, oh the things being blind does to you,

You know the Lord's Supper is a meal with unleavened bread, red wine, not goat or sheep for God was our lamb you eat it together and enjoy the wine at the meal as they did, I guess maybe Jesus was drinking

You see when you Love the Truth you get rewards, Lot you know his daughters were not sinning, how do your two daughters who God spared and scared out of their skulls be wrong, think what they had to do to him to get what they did done, boy they worked at it, and they both got pregnant in one shot back to back, lot was married really to his own daughters, God was in it they were all righteous the only ones, they were the ones that survived

You think Tamar dresses up as a harlot, but she is pinned, she is a righteous woman and Judah is wicked and she does this to get pregnant for she has to pass on the line

Rahab lied to protect the spies, oh how people do not see, God says it was good to lie in certian times, oh how the devil works all of us and we fight to Love Him and get to Him and Him to us through this war, If we do not read study and obey in a room long hours loving Him and His Word looking for diamonds and rubies Him Wisdom, better than money or things our husband

we are his wife and a marrage supper not married to each other but to Him, It makes you want to ask Him,

husband, wife, marriage supper, everywhere here then you got something after the supper and you got to Ask I know it says certian thing, but you got to ask Him, no sex ever in eternity I wonder if He is hiding something

Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Made me think.

Colossians 2:16 - sabbath days/holy days KJV

While the word ceremonial is spoken frequently of in scripture, the term ceremonial law is not. In the KJV Bible, it is normally translated to ordinances which Strong's dictionary translates to as being a law of ordinances or ceremonial law. As it was a system of commandments given by God to Israel, there can be no doubt that it was a law which involved ceremonies so it will be frequently called the ceremonial law. Since this law ended at the cross it was only observed by literal Israel.

The Ten Commandments - Roman Catholic Church Version

The table below shows the Ten Commandments as personally spoken and written by God using the King James translation and the Ten Commandments as changed by the Roman Catholic Church. They believe that their authority stands above the Word of God and that they can change God's times and laws and God will prescribe to their changes. You will note that they deleted the second Commandment and changed God's Sabbath to Sunday and split the tenth Commandment into two to get back to Ten Commandments. As a result the Roman Catholic version of the Ten Commandments is always one ahead of the King James in the Decalogue until the tenth Commandment when they break it into two and make it the ninth and tenth Commandments.
The following from the Catholic Encyclopaedia Vol. 4, p. 153 also confirms the deletion of the second Commandment and the change of the fourth. “The church, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath of the seventh day of the week to the first made the third commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day.”

Only For the Jews

One of the most common things I hear concerning the Sabbath command is that it is no longer applicable to Christians because it was only for the Jews. I’ve searched the Scriptures diligently and have not found anything in the Bible that says such a thing. To the contrary, Jesus’ own words make it obvious that the Sabbath is for all people, not a specific race: “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27, emphasis mine.) In other words, the Sabbath is for you, me, and every other human being.
Even the command itself says it was to be kept by the stranger who was within the gates (See Exodus 20:10). The stranger was what the Bible refers to as a Gentile (any person who isn’t a Jew). While being in the camp, all people had to respect God’s law. Thus, those who argue that the Sabbath was only for the Jews are essentially disconnecting themselves from God’s chosen people.

Did the Sabbath change to Sunday?

In over 105 languages Saturday translates to Sabbath. In Italy it is called Sabbato, in Russia Subbota, in Portugal Sabbado, in Spain Sabado and in Poland Sobota. All of these names mean “Sabbath” or “rest day” in the various languages.

The fourth commandment of the Bible says Exo 20:8-11 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God…”

So if Saturday, or more accurately Sunset Friday to Sunset Saturday, is the true Sabbath of the Lord, then why do people go to church on Sunday?

Who changed the day to Sunday, and when? Did Jesus? Do we keep Sunday in honour of his resurrection?

It has been established by many historians and theologians that the books of Matthew and Luke were written between 60 and 80 AD. Luke does not tell us of a day change, but instead he states in Luke 23:56, “…And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.”

...seek and you shall find. God Bless you ATLHRLGUY for studing and showing thyself approved! You will find God and you will enter into His Kingdom if you continue on ! He knows the truth!...and is showing you! Praise God!

Last edited by Verna Perry; 04-16-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...seek and you shall find. God Bless you ATLHRLGUY for studing and showing thyself approved! You will find God and you will enter into His Kingdom if you continue on ! He knows the truth!...and is showing you! Praise God!

Why then the law? It was added for the sake of transgressions, UNTIL the seed came to whom the promise was made, ordained through angels in [the] hand of a mediator.Galatians 3:19

This is clearly and undeniably talking about the TEN commandments.

The law was put in place UNTIL, it's not difficult unless you have a hard time understanding what UNTIL means, then you can be excused for your ignorance towards what the scripture says.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:38 AM

859 posts, read 2,124,004 times
Thanks Verna, bless you and others in this thread.

It's really interesting, because, if as some say that the Ten Commandments were done away with at the cross, it is ok for me to kill, steal, dishonor my parents etc. I just try to teach others as I would be treated, not really giving much though to it, but does that mean it would be ok for me to do those things, I don't think God would nail these commandments to the cross.

The Ten Commandments, Ceremonial law and Colossians 2:16

Again folks, not trying to start anything or make anyone mad just asking honest questions. I am by far not a perfect person (but who is) and intend to start going to church again, just trying to do things right, and I know that works alone won't get anyone in heaven whether they go to church on the Sabbath, Sunday, Wednesday etc. but doing some inward thinking and using God's inspired word and not man as my guide.

This is my last post in this thread, enjoyed reading the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity