Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM

234 posts, read 238,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
It is indeed an interesting issue, although I have honestly never felt "condemned" as some people say I should, just because I didn't keep it.
At wikipedia we can see that many religions observe a sabbath, including wiccans. Sabbath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I don't think it is a "sign" just for Christians. Or perhaps it was at one point, but apparently many religions enjoy such a practice now, so it isn't exactly "exclusive."

If I'm deceived, I trust that the Lord will show me this too. We're all seeking, Friend!

Blessings,
brian
Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 AM

178 posts, read 184,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Rejoicer,

I just wanted to thank you for partaking in this discussion. At length, I wanted people to challenge me with verses saying the Sabbath was changed to Sunday. Or at least that it was common practice to keep Sunday Holy, thereby changing of the 4th Commandment written in stone.

You made mention of this verse. Let us take a look at it.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2
Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do.

On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

I changed the color from red, because the Moderators cannot stand for others to use red since they do.

In this verse translated to english, I would like for you to check out the lexicons and see what the verse actually should say. It will totally suprise you. Yes, it says the first Sabbath, not the first day of every week. I am serious, look it up.

I also wanted to let everyone know this simple fact.

If I am decieved, then would I defend a lie?
If you are decieved, would you not defend your lie?
If the Christian religion was decieved, would they defend their lie?

The simple answer is yes, we ALL would. So, how do you know you are not defending what is in all actuality, a lie? It is the biggest of questions, and the actions and ramifications are severe.

I have seriously studied this. I also have seriously prayed about this. I also have been, and am being brought into, the Truth.

Not one jot, nor tittle, will pass away from the Law. It is that simple. How can ANY man say otherwise? So, if the illusion is that it has, then we as followers of one King, and seekers of His Truth, must be Berean and search out this in and using scriptures. Both testaments.

So, you have anything else to confirm this change of the Law?

Thank you for some thought provoking discussion.

Tony
First of all, the Jews had many Sabbaths - and that to what you are alluding to, was not a Saturday, but a Sunday, considered a Sabbath. The Lord's day always referred to Sunday, the day Jesus resurrected.

Upon the first day of the week - Greek, "On one of the Sabbaths." The Jews, however, used the word Sabbath to denote the week; the period of seven days; Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:9; Luke 18:12; Luke 24:1; John 20:1, John 20:19; compare Leviticus 23:15; Deuteronomy 16:9. It is universally agreed that this here denotes the first day of the week, or the Lord's Day.
Link:
1 Corinthians 16:2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

Third, it is the universal testimony of both Scripture and church history that the early Christians regarded Sunday as Christ’s resurrection day. The disciples met together on resurrection Sunday (John 20:19), then on Sunday a week later (20:26). The church was established on Pentecost, which always came on Sunday (Leviticus 23:15-16; Acts 2:1). The early Christians, under the leadership of inspired men, worshipped on Sunday (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2). That day was later designated as “the Lord’s day” (Revelation 1:10). To all of this evidence agree the testimonies of the writers in the post-apostolic age, i.e., from A.D. 100 to A.D. 325. Sunday was the resurrection day.
Was Christ Raised from the Dead on Sunday? : ChristianCourier.com

I've posted it before, but I'll post it again.

Jeremiah 31:
31 "Behold, days are coming," declares Yahweh, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares Yahweh. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares Yahweh, "I will put my Law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know Yahweh,' for they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares Yahweh, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Yes, the disciples met on the Sabbath because that is what they were accustomed to, they were Jews. Jesus did too, as He was a Jew, He obeyed the law completely. However, the Bible is replete with scripture that testifies that the early church started to meet on Sunday after Jesus was resurrected. It was not an overnight thing, it happened over a long period of time. Jesus was present at one of the Apostles meeting "on the first day of the week" and did not make any reference to them meeting on the wrong day.

Christ is the end of the law. Paul wrote thus of Christ and the law: “For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth” (Rom. 10: 4). The word “end” is from the Greek telos. (Vine remarks on telos in this fashion, “Noun, telos: signifies (a) “the limit,” either at which a person or thing ceases to be what he or it was up to that point, or at which previous activities were ceased,) 2 Cor. 3:13; 1 Pet. 4:7; (b) “the final issue or result” of a state or process, e.g., Luke 1:33; in Rom. 10:4,

Christ is described as “the end of the Law unto righteousness to everyone that believeth;” this is best explained by Gal. 3:23–26;23Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law,(A) imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24So then,(B) the law was our(C) guardian until Christ came,(D) in order that we might be justified by faith. 25But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26for in Christ Jesus(E) you are all sons of God, through faith.

Christ did not simply do away with the law, he ended or fulfilled it. Jesus is the substance of the shadows, the antitype of the types, and the very epitome of all the moral enunciations of the law. Jesus said, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill” (Matt. 5: 17).

Notice the next verse, “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law,
till all be fulfilled” (vs. 18). Jesus fulfilled the law and inaugurated his system or testament (Lk. 24: 44, 47). Christ’s system is not without law, but the onerous system of Moses was nailed to Jesus’ cross (Gal. 6: 2, Col. 2: 14, see addendum). Gal 6:2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Jesus’ apostles are “able ministers of the new testament” (2 Cor. 3: 6). The Law of Moses could not impart life (2 Cor. 3: 7–18). The law was only a “schoolmaster to bring us (Jew, dm) unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith” (Gal. 3: 24). “But after that faith is come,” Paul continued, “we are no longer under a schoolmaster” (vs. 25). Paul warned regarding any who would attempt justification by the Law of Moses. Hear him: “Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace” (Gal. 5: 4). One cannot be saved by a system of meritorious works that seek to earn salvation and by grace at the same time(Rom. 11: 6). John said, “For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ” (Jn. 1: 17).

The law, Jesus, and obedience | Of First Importance

Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post
First of all, the Jews had many Sabbaths - and that to what you are alluding to, was not a Saturday, but a Sunday, considered a Sabbath. The Lord's day always referred to Sunday, the day Jesus resurrected.

Upon the first day of the week - Greek, "On one of the Sabbaths." The Jews, however, used the word Sabbath to denote the week; the period of seven days; Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:9; Luke 18:12; Luke 24:1; John 20:1, John 20:19; compare Leviticus 23:15; Deuteronomy 16:9. It is universally agreed that this here denotes the first day of the week, or the Lord's Day.
Link:
1 Corinthians 16:2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

Third, it is the universal testimony of both Scripture and church history that the early Christians regarded Sunday as Christ’s resurrection day. The disciples met together on resurrection Sunday (John 20:19), then on Sunday a week later (20:26). The church was established on Pentecost, which always came on Sunday (Leviticus 23:15-16; Acts 2:1). The early Christians, under the leadership of inspired men, worshipped on Sunday (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2). That day was later designated as “the Lord’s day” (Revelation 1:10). To all of this evidence agree the testimonies of the writers in the post-apostolic age, i.e., from A.D. 100 to A.D. 325. Sunday was the resurrection day.

Jeremiah 31:
31 "Behold, days are coming," declares Yahweh, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares Yahweh. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares Yahweh, "I will put my Law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know Yahweh,' for they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares Yahweh, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Yes, the disciples met on the Sabbath because that is what they were accustomed to, they were Jews. Jesus did too, as He was a Jew, He obeyed the law completely. However, the Bible is replete with scripture that testifies that the early church started to meet on Sunday after Jesus was resurrected. It was not an overnight thing, it happened over a long period of time. Jesus was present at one of the Apostles meeting "on the first day of the week" and did not make any reference to them meeting on the wrong day.

Christ is the end of the law. Paul wrote thus of Christ and the law: “For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth” (Rom. 10: 4). The word “end” is from the Greek telos. (Vine remarks on telos in this fashion, “Noun, telos: signifies (a) “the limit,” either at which a person or thing ceases to be what he or it was up to that point, or at which previous activities were ceased,) 2 Cor. 3:13; 1 Pet. 4:7; (b) “the final issue or result” of a state or process, e.g., Luke 1:33; in Rom. 10:4,

Christ is described as “the end of the Law unto righteousness to everyone that believeth;” this is best explained by Gal. 3:23–26;23Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law,(A) imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24So then,(B) the law was our(C) guardian until Christ came,(D) in order that we might be justified by faith. 25But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26for in Christ Jesus(E) you are all sons of God, through faith.

Christ did not simply do away with the law, he ended or fulfilled it. Jesus is the substance of the shadows, the antitype of the types, and the very epitome of all the moral enunciations of the law. Jesus said, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill” (Matt. 5: 17).

Notice the next verse, “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law,
till all be fulfilled” (vs. 18). Jesus fulfilled the law and inaugurated his system or testament (Lk. 24: 44, 47). Christ’s system is not without law, but the onerous system of Moses was nailed to Jesus’ cross (Gal. 6: 2, Col. 2: 14, see addendum). Gal 6:2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Jesus’ apostles are “able ministers of the new testament” (2 Cor. 3: 6). The Law of Moses could not impart life (2 Cor. 3: 7–18). The law was only a “schoolmaster to bring us (Jew, dm) unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith” (Gal. 3: 24). “But after that faith is come,” Paul continued, “we are no longer under a schoolmaster” (vs. 25). Paul warned regarding any who would attempt justification by the Law of Moses. Hear him: “Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace” (Gal. 5: 4). One cannot be saved by a system of meritorious works that seek to earn salvation and by grace at the same time(Rom. 11: 6). John said, “For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ” (Jn. 1: 17).

Such a wonderful post. It is a blessing to me during this weekend as we contemplate the cross and the resurrection of our Lord. Thank you! God bless!

Heartsong

YouTube - The Lily of the Valley

Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Link:

Certainly, if such was the case, that the first day of the week whenever mentioned actually was translated from the Greek word which meant the Sabbath day, then that would assuredly be conclusive evidence for the change from the 7th day to the first. Conversely, surely you would agree that if it could not be shown thus, then humility would require an admittance that there is no grounds for such a change? Now while I concede that the Greek word used in that phrase is ‘sabbaton’, far more clever linguists than you and I over the last 3 to 400 years decided in their wisdom to render the word in English as ‘the first day of the week.’ That word week being the operative word. Lexographers with more letters after their name than me agree with the translators of every modern Bible I know of, that the original Greek word ‘sabbaton’ can mean both the day and week.
Here is an excerpt from a study written by an early adventist.
He is writing on the subject and uses a direct Greek/English transliteration from Matthew as his sample text. I think you will follow what he’s getting at.
“Opse de sabbaton, te epiphoskouse eis mian sabbaton.”
“Late but of the Sabbath, it beginning to dawn into the
first of the week.” sabbaton with short “o” is the
nominative singular; sabbaton with long “o” is the genitive
plural] p. 6, Para. 1, [SUNGREEK].
The reader will see at once that a correct and euphonious
rendering of this passage is given in the common version:
“In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the
first day of the week.” But the query may arise why
sabbaton, in the first instance, should be rendered
“Sabbath,” referring to the seventh day, and the same word,
in the same form, in the second instance, should be
rendered “week,” referring to all the seven days. The
reason is that the word in the last instance is preceded by
the numeral adjective mian; and the lexicons tell us that
always when the word sabbaton follows such adjectives, it
means “week,” the adjective specifying the day of the week,
as the first, second, etc. Thus it is easily and absolutely
determined when to render the word sabbaton “Sabbath,” and
when “week.” Whenever it is preceded by a numeral
adjective, as it is in all the eight texts (all eight texts in the NT
that mention the first day of the week and which are used to
support the Sunday theory) above referred
to, it means “week.”

Quote:

Jeremiah 31:

Are you serious? If Jesus was to appear before your mid-week prayer and Bible study group at home and not say anything about the meeting on the wrong day, would that mean Wednesday is now God's special day of rest and worship????? First, the disciples were gathering together every day of the week at that time, (Acts 2:46) does that mean therefore , because Jesus didn't say otherwise, that every day is holy???
Quote:

I think it a little worrying that you would include the Ten Commandment law in that "onerous system". Not wanting to commit adultery is onerous for you? Does your wife know about that?

Quote:

I agree that one cannot be justified by works of the law. Has anyone in this thread claimed they could?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
Certainly, if such was the case, that the first day of the week whenever mentioned actually was translated from the Greek word which meant the Sabbath day, then that would assuredly be conclusive evidence for the change from the 7th day to the first.
It is amazing that you are basing your entire argument as to why it is "mandatory" to meet on Saturday instead of Sunday on NT scripture that just happens to mention the "first day of the week" as the day the disciples were getting together, or that Jesus was resurrected, but not once have you been able to produce NT scripture where Christians were mandated to keep God's sign (Mosaic Covenant) to keep the Sabbath, which was made between God and Jews.
Exodus 31:13,
“Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.

Exodus 31:16,
The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant.

Exodus 31:17
It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.'"

Ezekiel 20:12,20
12"Also I gave them My sabbaths to be a (A)sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them.

Quote:
Conversely, surely you would agree that if it could not be shown thus, then humility would require an admittance that there is no grounds for such a change?
Well, considering that Barnabas was so well thought of by God, that He appointed him as the one to minister to Paul, I would think his writings would be considered truthful and with great meaning. And based on what he wrote, it is very clear that when he mentions "eighth day to keep with joyfulness" that he does not mean "Sabbath".

The Epistle of Barnabas 120-150 AD.
“Your new moons and your sabbaths I cannot endure”. Isaiah 1:13.
“You perceive how He speaks: your present sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but that which I had made in giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is a beginning of another world. Wherefore also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, a day also in which Jesus rose from the dead.”

http://answers.libertybaptistchurch....nswers/112.pdf

Quote:
Now while I concede that the Greek word used in that phrase is ‘sabbaton’, far more clever linguists than you and I over the last 3 to 400 years decided in their wisdom to render the word in English as ‘the first day of the week.’ That word week being the operative word. Lexographers with more letters after their name than me agree with the translators of every modern Bible I know of, that the original Greek word ‘sabbaton’ can mean both the day and week.
And, still no NT scripture to indicate that Christians were to keep Saturday as a "Holy Day" of worship.

Quote:
Here is an excerpt from a study written by an early adventist.
He is writing on the subject and uses a direct Greek/English transliteration from Matthew as his sample text. I think you will follow what he’s getting at.
“Opse de sabbaton, te epiphoskouse eis mian sabbaton.”
“Late but of the Sabbath, it beginning to dawn into the
first of the week.” sabbaton with short “o” is the
nominative singular; sabbaton with long “o” is the genitive
plural] p. 6, Para. 1, [SUNGREEK].
The reader will see at once that a correct and euphonious
rendering of this passage is given in the common version:
“In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the
first day of the week.” But the query may arise why
sabbaton, in the first instance, should be rendered
“Sabbath,” referring to the seventh day, and the same word,
in the same form, in the second instance, should be
rendered “week,” referring to all the seven days. The
reason is that the word in the last instance is preceded by
the numeral adjective mian; and the lexicons tell us that
always when the word sabbaton follows such adjectives, it
means “week,” the adjective specifying the day of the week,
as the first, second, etc. Thus it is easily and absolutely
determined when to render the word sabbaton “Sabbath,” and
when “week.” Whenever it is preceded by a numeral
adjective, as it is in all the eight texts (all eight texts in the NT
that mention the first day of the week and which are used to
support the Sunday theory) above referred
to, it means “week.”
Clarification of the word Sabbaton/Sabbath still doesn't provide proof that meeting on Sunday instead of Saturday is wrong. Surely God would not have left it to chance that we would interpret that the covenant He made with the Jews would still apply to new Christians in light of the fact that He clearly tells us in Jeremiah 31:31 that He will make a new covenant.

The meaning of the word Sabbath means "to cease" "to desist" to "rest", it was clearly meant as a day of rest, not necessarily a day of worship.
(Exodus 16:25-26 and 29-30).

Do you also keep it as the Lord commanded, do you stone people to death who violate the Sabbath?

You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Exodus 31:14

Quote:
Are you serious? If Jesus was to appear before your mid-week prayer and Bible study group at home and not say anything about the meeting on the wrong day, would that mean Wednesday is now God's special day of rest and worship?????
No, but if it was so important that we should continue to make "Saturday" the official day of worship/rest, I would think that Jesus would have made some mention of it during his ministry, but He didn't.

Quote:
First, the disciples were gathering together every day of the week at that time, (Acts 2:46) does that mean therefore , because Jesus didn't say otherwise, that every day is holy???
I don't know about you, but yes, for me every day is Holy, and it should be for every Christian. I'm not the one that is restricted to one day.

Quote:
I think it a little worrying that you would include the Ten Commandment law in that "onerous system". Not wanting to commit adultery is onerous for you? Does your wife know about that?
It was onerous because they were unable to keep them. If you break one of them, you have broken them all. I suppose you are going to tell me that you are like Jesus and are able to keep all ten commandments? And, FYI, adultery was important enough to be mentioned in the NT, where the Sabbath was not. (Matt 19:18). And, to answer your snarky comment, I don't have a wife, since I am a woman, I have a husband, and where did I say that "not wanting to commit adultery" was onerous to me? I guess being self-righteous is also part of your Christian makeup?

Quote:
I agree that one cannot be justified by works of the law. Has anyone in this thread claimed they could?
Yes, one poster claimed that I preached a false gospel, and even the OP mentioned the scripture in the OT and insisted that we were not keeping the Commandments, which is "the law". So, if you are not claiming justification by works of the law, why are you so adamant that meeting on the Sabbath is in keeping with the "law"?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
It is amazing that you are basing your entire argument as to why it is "mandatory" to meet on Saturday instead of Sunday on NT scripture that just happens to mention the "first day of the week" as the day the disciples were getting together, or that Jesus was resurrected, but not once have you been able to produce NT scripture where Christians were mandated to keep God's sign (Mosaic Covenant) to keep the Sabbath, which was made between God and Jews.
The Sabbath Commandment was included in the Ten Commandments and written in stone by God personally. All ten. Makes them permanent. That stone was placed inside the ark of the covenant, which was a representation of God's throne. The Holiest place in the universe. That Ten Commandment law was not just for the Jews. It is not a sin for only a Jew to kill, steal, or fornicate. Cain knew it was wrong to murder well before the law was given and well before there was any Jew. God said of Abraham that God chose him because Abraham kept "My commandments, my statutes and my laws", before there was any law written, and before there was a Jew. Joseph knew it was wrong to commit adultery well before the law was given. It is often claimed that the Sabbath commandment wasn't repeated in the NT. So? How many times do you need God to repeat Himself before you obey Him? Besides, Jesus expected His church to be keeping Sabbath 40 years after He had gone, and historical records show God's people keeping Sabbath well into the 4th and 5th centuries at least before the papacy started ijn earnest to persecute them. Where the papacy had no power, the church continued to honour the Sabbath, for example in the Celtic church of Britain, the church of the east, and in Ethiopia, as well as the Waldenses and Albigenses. God knew what He was doing when He said "remember the Sabbath day"...He clearly knew that the majority of His people would forget.
Quote:
Well, considering that Barnabas was so well thought of by God, that He appointed him as the one to minister to Paul, I would think his writings would be considered truthful and with great meaning. And based on what he wrote, it is very clear that when he mentions "eighth day to keep with joyfulness" that he does not mean "Sabbath".

The Epistle of Barnabas 120-150 AD.
“Your new moons and your sabbaths I cannot endure”. Isaiah 1:13.
“You perceive how He speaks: your present sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but that which I had made in giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is a beginning of another world. Wherefore also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, a day also in which Jesus rose from the dead.”

http://answers.libertybaptistchurch....nswers/112.pdf
This Barnabas you quote is not the same Barnabas as the one Paul knew. Paul was already very very dead by the time the Barnabas you quote came along. Besides, I suggest you don't run to early church 'fathers' so called as apostasy entered the church during the time of Paul, and the great apostasy of the church that grew into the RCC was already sprouting during the time of John.

Quote:
Clarification of the word Sabbaton/Sabbath still doesn't provide proof that meeting on Sunday instead of Saturday is wrong.
I don't think there is anything wrong with meeting on Sunday. It was you who suggested that because Jesus didn't say it was wrong, then that therefore is grounds for not meeting and keeping Sabbath. The apostles as I said were meeting every day. But because they were being obedient to the commandments, including the 4th,because they were being recreated in the image of Jesus, Who also kept the commandments,including the 4th, they rested on the 7th day, according to the commandment.
Quote:
Surely God would not have left it to chance that we would interpret that the covenant He made with the Jews would still apply to new Christians in light of the fact that He clearly tells us in Jeremiah 31:31 that He will make a new covenant.
Read the letter to the Hebrews wherein the passage from Jeremiah is quoted. The covenant that changed is not about commandment keeping. It is about the priesthood. it is not about whether we are to keep the laws of God, it is not about whether we are to sin or not, it is about how we are to keep the laws, it is about how we are to avoid sin.
Israel attempted to keep the laws, but failed. Why? Because the law was impossible to keep? No, of course not. Would God command us to do something that was impossible? Is God that unfair and unjust to command us to obey, punish us for disobedience, knowing all along it was impossible for us to do so? Did God find fault with the law so that He had to change it? No, so what did He find fault with?
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
What was wrong with Israel's attempt to obedience that God found faulty? They were trying to do so without God. They were attempting to obey in their own strength. So what was God's solution?
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Now you say that the Sabbath was just for the Jews. Tell me, the above verse where God is quoted by Jeremiah, and requoted by Paul, who is it addressed to? When God is speaking of the house of Israel, who does He mean? You claim in one breath to not being a part of the house of Israel using that as your basis for ignoring the Sabbath, yet in the next breath you claim to be under the new covenant which God says was given to the house of Israel. You cannot have it both ways.
Quote:
The meaning of the word Sabbath means "to cease" "to desist" to "rest", it was clearly meant as a day of rest, not necessarily a day of worship.
(Exodus 16:25-26 and 29-30).
Le 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Quote:
Do you also keep it as the Lord commanded, do you stone people to death who violate the Sabbath?

You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Exodus 31:14
We no longer live under a theocracy. Yet the NT still echoes the same principle as you bolded above. "The wages of sin is death". I would support capital punishment if I could completely trust the judiciary to get it completely right every time. Can we do that? No. So we patiently wait for God Himself to judge. And be assured, He will.

Quote:
No, but if it was so important that we should continue to make "Saturday" the official day of worship/rest, I would think that Jesus would have made some mention of it during his ministry, but He didn't.
Mt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Jesus is here addressing His church. He knew that after He left the Roman legions would come and destroy the city. Jesus fully expected His church to be keeping the Sabbath then fully forty years after His warning.

Quote:

I don't know about you, but yes, for me every day is Holy, and it should be for every Christian. I'm not the one that is restricted to one day.
It was God who made the Sabbath holy by sanctifying it and making it so. He did so through the power of His own authority. Tell me, by what authority do you make every day holy?

Quote:
It was onerous because they were unable to keep them. If you break one of them, you have broken them all. I suppose you are going to tell me that you are like Jesus and are able to keep all ten commandments? And, FYI, adultery was important enough to be mentioned in the NT, where the Sabbath was not. (Matt 19:18). And, to answer your snarky comment, I don't have a wife, since I am a woman, I have a husband, and where did I say that "not wanting to commit adultery" was onerous to me? I guess being self-righteous is also part of your Christian makeup?
My apologies for getting the gender wrong. However, it was you who mentioned that the law was onerous, and you were using that as one argument for you're ignoring of the 4th commandment, presumably because if the Jews found it onerous, then so do you, and as you said, all the commandments. Or is it just the 4th?
Anyway, it wasn't the Ten Commandment law that was a burden to Israel. It was not God's law, but Moses law that was the burden and was nailed to the cross. The laws and ordinances that pertained to the sacrificial system that tied Israel to the earthly sanctuary. The NT opened a new way to the real sanctuary in the heavens where Jesus stands as our great High Priest. The earthly temple was but a copy of the heavenly. The services of the earthly but a prophetic portrayal of the gospel, of the ministry of Jesus. But the law of God that was written on tables of stone and placed within the ark was also a copy of the original that is a representation of the character of God, and a reflection of His righteousness. It was because of transgression against that law that Jesus had to die. That law has not changed, nor ever can be without a change to God Himself. It is that law that is now written upon the minds and hearts of God's people. It comes to us in the form of the love that is shed abroad from our hearts by the Holy Spirit. So we keep those laws not in order to be justified, but because we are justified.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
The Sabbath Commandment was included in the Ten Commandments and written in stone by God personally. All ten. Makes them permanent. That stone was placed inside the ark of the covenant, which was a representation of God's throne. The Holiest place in the universe. That Ten Commandment law was not just for the Jews. It is not a sin for only a Jew to kill, steal, or fornicate. Cain knew it was wrong to murder well before the law was given and well before there was any Jew. God said of Abraham that God chose him because Abraham kept "My commandments, my statutes and my laws", before there was any law written, and before there was a Jew. Joseph knew it was wrong to commit adultery well before the law was given. It is often claimed that the Sabbath commandment wasn't repeated in the NT. So? How many times do you need God to repeat Himself before you obey Him? Besides, Jesus expected His church to be keeping Sabbath 40 years after He had gone, and historical records show God's people keeping Sabbath well into the 4th and 5th centuries at least before the papacy started ijn earnest to persecute them. Where the papacy had no power, the church continued to honour the Sabbath, for example in the Celtic church of Britain, the church of the east, and in Ethiopia, as well as the Waldenses and Albigenses. God knew what He was doing when He said "remember the Sabbath day"...He clearly knew that the majority of His people would forget.
So, in order to keep the Commandments as God instructed, people that don't worship on Saturday must be put to death? If you are going to obey the 10 Commandments as they were given to Moses, then, you have to follow the strict orders given along with them, but I noticed that you didn't address my previous question.

And, for your information, nowhere in the Bible does it say that the Sabbath was a day of worship. It was a day of rest, where people were not supposed to do any work. When Moses was given the 10 Commandments, there wasn't even a temple built yet for them to worship in.

We are to keep the Sabbath (a day of rest), and yes, Christians observe a day of rest, which happens to be on Sunday, when we are supposed to rest. That is our Sabbath, so it isn't that we don't observe the Sabbath or that we ignore it, we just don't happen to think it has to be Saturday. But, even those that worship on Saturday, I bet they don't keep the Sabbath as strictly as was required by the Mosaic law. I bet they still cook and drive to church - all which was considered work (they didn't drive, but they didn't ride their camels either.
Quote:
This Barnabas you quote is not the same Barnabas as the one Paul knew. Paul was already very very dead by the time the Barnabas you quote came along. Besides, I suggest you don't run to early church 'fathers' so called as apostasy entered the church during the time of Paul, and the great apostasy of the church that grew into the RCC was already sprouting during the time of John.
It most certainly is the same Barnabas. I know that SDAs have claimed that it wasn't the same Barnabas, or even that he didn't write the epistle, but there are many that accredit him with having written them.

When Paul and Barnabas were about to embark on the second missionary journey, a disagreement rose among them in taking Barnabas' nephew Mark with them. The argument split the missionary endeavor into separate routes thereby doubling the effect of the work. Paul and Silas went one way toward Syria spreading the Word, Barnabas and Mark went the other way toward Cyprus and spread the Word. Barnabas travelled as a missionary with Paul and Mark, through Syria, at Antioch of Pisidia, Iconium, Lystra, at Derbe, in Asia Minor at Perge in Pamphylia, Cyprus, Greece, Egypt, Jerusalem, and Rome.

The epistle of Barnabas appears genuinely written by the apostle. It is considered allegorical exegesis of the Alexandrian variety. Barnabas' epistle was probably written sometime between 90 and 100. "Do not withdraw yourselves from others, as if you were already justified; but coming altogether into one place, inquire what is agreeable to and profitable for the beloved of God. For the scripture says: 'Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their sight'".

Barnabas

Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with meeting on Sunday. It was you who suggested that because Jesus didn't say it was wrong, then that therefore is grounds for not meeting and keeping Sabbath.
You may not think that there is nothing wrong with meeting on Sunday, but some of the other posters have made it very clear that Saturday is the only day and those that worship on another day "are teaching a false gospel".
And, I didn't say that at all. I said that if worshipping on Saturday was a mandate from God for Christians to continue, that Jesus would have mentioned it. You can read my previous posts, I have never said that worshiping on Saturday is wrong, only that worshiping on Sunday is not a sin as some have tried to insinuate.

Quote:
The apostles as I said were meeting every day. But because they were being obedient to the commandments, including the 4th,because they were being recreated in the image of Jesus, Who also kept the commandments,including the 4th, they rested on the 7th day, according to the commandment.
Read the letter to the Hebrews wherein the passage from Jeremiah is quoted. The covenant that changed is not about commandment keeping. It is about the priesthood. it is not about whether we are to keep the laws of God, it is not about whether we are to sin or not, it is about how we are to keep the laws, it is about how we are to avoid sin.
Israel attempted to keep the laws, but failed. Why? Because the law was impossible to keep? No, of course not. Would God command us to do something that was impossible? Is God that unfair and unjust to command us to obey, punish us for disobedience, knowing all along it was impossible for us to do so? Did God find fault with the law so that He had to change it? No, so what did He find fault with?
Are you trying to say that you don't have a problem keeping the 10 Commandments? Only Jesus was able to keep the 10 Commandments. And God is so merciful that knowing that we were not able to keep the 10 Commandments, even when we tried very hard, that He had to send His Son as the ultimate, perfect sacrifice, to pay for our sins once and for all, why we don't have to sacrifice animals anymore. And, even Christians sin.

Israel missed the whole point - the whole idea from God was that our hearts were in the right place, that our motives were always for the good. Did God punish Moses when Moses killed a man? He committed murder yet God did not punish him because Moses was right with God, he just had a bad hair day and got his nose out of joint and ended up killing a man. So, if the laws were not impossible, then why didn't God punish Moses? The same thing with David. David committed adultery, and in essence had a man murdered, yet God forgave him. Why? Because in spite of having broken himself on the 10 Commandments, both David and Moses had a heart for God. People that have accepted Jesus will continue to sin, but the Holy Spirit will convict us, we will repent, ask forgiveness and God is merciful and forgives us. No one is able to keep the ten commandments.

Quote:
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
What was wrong with Israel's attempt to obedience that God found faulty? They were trying to do so without God. They were attempting to obey in their own strength. So what was God's solution?
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Exactly, that is accomplished through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit convicts us when we do something wrong. Do the 10 Commandments mention "evil thoughts", "snarky attitudes toward other Christians", "being disgruntled over circumstances", "getting upset at other drivers for cutting you off" etc., etc., Of course not, yet they are sins in the eyes of God. If we kept all of the 10 Commandments but had "Pharisee attitudes" we would be like Jesus said, whitewashed stone pillars.

Quote:
Now you say that the Sabbath was just for the Jews. Tell me, the above verse where God is quoted by Jeremiah, and requoted by Paul, who is it addressed to? When God is speaking of the house of Israel, who does He mean? You claim in one breath to not being a part of the house of Israel using that as your basis for ignoring the Sabbath, yet in the next breath you claim to be under the new covenant which God says was given to the house of Israel. You cannot have it both ways.
[/b]
Yes, God made the new covenant with Israel, but it was in the NT that God's salvation was given to the gentiles. It was God who decided to open it up to everyone, so yes, I can have it both ways.

Several factors made it difficult for the early Jewish believers to understand that in "ekklesia" the church, Jews and Gentiles were "fellow heirs" of salvation and equal in God's eyes and in the church. As Paul revealed in his Epistles, the distinction between Jew and Gentile in the churches was removed. They were in a new dispensation in which God was not presently working with Israel, but with Jews and Gentiles who were to have a special relationship with Him. That relationship was that they would be the bride of Christ.(Rev. 18:23; 21:2,9; 22:17) Paul while in Jerusalem rebuked Peter for shunning the Gentiles by getting up from eating with Gentiles when a group of Jews came in. (See Gal. 2:11-14) This shows that even Peter, who have been used to take the Gospel to the Gentile Cornelius (Acts 10-11) did not fully understand or had not totally accepted the Gentiles as equal with the Jews in the churches.
Mysteries of the Bible: The Mystery of the Jew and Gentile Being Equal in the Church

Quote:
Le 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

We no longer live under a theocracy. Yet the NT still echoes the same principle as you bolded above. "The wages of sin is death". I would support capital punishment if I could completely trust the judiciary to get it completely right every time. Can we do that? No. So we patiently wait for God Himself to judge. And be assured, He will.
And, as the scripture does not mention "worship". "Six days shall work be done" - (does not necessarily mean Saturday) - "Ye shall do no work therein" - the whole idea for the Sabbath is to set one day aside and make it a day dedicated to God. That is why most businesses are closed on Sunday, to observe the "Sabbath".

And we do agree on one thing, I too would support capital punishment if I knew without a doubt that only guilty people were being put to death.

Quote:
Mt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Jesus is here addressing His church. He knew that after He left the Roman legions would come and destroy the city. Jesus fully expected His church to be keeping the Sabbath then fully forty years after His warning.
That is not the reason for Jesus making that comment.

We begin our explanation by noting an important point about Jesus’ statement. If we carefully read his words in Matthew 24:20, we find no command from his lips for Christians to observe a Sabbath rest. He simply advises Christians that for circumstantial reasons, they should pray that the need to flee will not arise on the Sabbath or in winter. Why it would not be prudent to flee in winter is obvious. Adverse weather conditions would hamper flight and put those fleeing at risk from the elements. But why would fleeing on the Sabbath day be a problem?

Here is where we have to be aware of Jewish customs and practices regarding the Sabbath. Jesus gave his warning to the disciples because of the possibility that Jewish people in Jerusalem and Judea would have prevented Christians from fleeing on the Sabbath. Please note that the warning was given "to those who are in Judea" (verse 16), not to disciples in other parts of the world. It is preserved only in Matthew’s Gospel, which was probably written to Jewish Christians.

Thus, the passage tells us more about the religious practices and social regulations regarding the Sabbath of non-Christian Jews in Jerusalem and Judea, than what the church would be doing about it. The context in which the warning about fleeing is given leads us to conclude that it has nothing to do with any supposed command for Christians to keep the Sabbath rest. Jesus gave his warning not because the church would be keeping the Sabbath but because Christians in Judea and Jerusalem might find it difficult or impossible to flee on this day,

Since the Jews honored Moses’ laws, they believed it was wrong to take long journeys on the Sabbath. They apparently even had a measurement for the distance to be traveled on this day, which was called a "Sabbath day’s walk" or journey (Acts 1:12). This was a short distance. In Luke’s example it was the distance between the Mount of Olives, on the perimeter of Jerusalem, and the city itself. But Jesus’ warning was given in the context of a catastrophe on the city and Judea, which would have required getting much further out of the area than a limited "Sabbath day’s walk" might allow.
Further, the gates of Jerusalem were locked on the Sabbath day, which would have prevented people from fleeing the city. The Jews also had authority to police their own people regarding certain religious matters. The zealots especially, no doubt, would have tried to prevent fellow Jews from taking long journeys on the Sabbath. And they would have tried to prevent anyone from fleeing Jerusalem and Judea while the war with the Romans was in progress (A.D. 66-70). Such fleeing would have been considered a traitorous action by the Jews battling the Romans.
Matthew 24:20 - Why Pray Not To Flee on the Sabbath? | Grace Communion International

Quote:
It was God who made the Sabbath holy by sanctifying it and making it so. He did so through the power of His own authority. Tell me, by what authority do you make every day holy?
By His authority. I don't just practice my Christianity on Sunday, I practice it every day.

1 Thessalonians 4:7
For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.

Quote:
My apologies for getting the gender wrong. However, it was you who mentioned that the law was onerous, and you were using that as one argument for you're ignoring of the 4th commandment, presumably because if the Jews found it onerous, then so do you, and as you said, all the commandments. Or is it just the 4th?
I already explained to you why they were onerous. I don't practice adultery, nor do I steal, murder etc., etc., but I still sin. Like I said, anyone who claims they do not sin is a liar. Since they are not onerous to you, you must keep them all? Hmmm, I thought only Jesus was perfect.

1 John 1:8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Quote:
Anyway, it wasn't the Ten Commandment law that was a burden to Israel. It was not God's law, but Moses law that was the burden and was nailed to the cross.
The laws and ordinances that pertained to the sacrificial system that tied Israel to the earthly sanctuary. The NT opened a new way to the real sanctuary in the heavens where Jesus stands as our great High Priest. The earthly temple was but a copy of the heavenly. The services of the earthly but a prophetic portrayal of the gospel, of the ministry of Jesus. But the law of God that was written on tables of stone and placed within the ark was also a copy of the original that is a representation of the character of God, and a reflection of His righteousness. It was because of transgression against that law that Jesus had to die. That law has not changed, nor ever can be without a change to God Himself. It is that law that is now written upon the minds and hearts of God's people. It comes to us in the form of the love that is shed abroad from our hearts by the Holy Spirit. So we keep those laws not in order to be justified, but because we are justified.

Recipients of the Law of Moses

The Law was given to Israel: Ex. 19:3; Lev. 26:46; Rom. 3:19; 9:4.

The Law was specifically not given to Gentiles: Deut. 4:8; Rom. 2:12-14.

Born-again believers of the church age are not under the Law. Therefore, the Mosaic Law was never given to the church: Acts 15:5, 24; Rom. 6:14; Gal. 2:19.

Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law: Matt. 5:17, "...I am not come to destroy the Law, but to fulfill..." He fulfilled the Commandments by living perfectly under the Law. His impeccability and perfect life fulfilled Code I. The Ordinances, Code II, were fulfilled by Christ's death, burial, resurrection, ascension, and session. The Judgments, Code III, were fulfilled by Christ as He observed the law of the land; he lived under divine institutions and establishment.

Jesus Christ is the "end of the Law" for believers: Rom. 10:4.

Believers in the church age are under a higher law of spirituality: Rom. 8:2-4; Gal. 5:18,22,23; I Cor. 13. The believer who functions under the filling of the Holy Spirit takes up where Christ left off and fulfills the Law.
The Law of Moses

Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with meeting on Sunday. It was you who suggested that because Jesus didn't say it was wrong, then that therefore is grounds for not meeting and keeping Sabbath. The apostles as I said were meeting every day. But because they were being obedient to the commandments, including the 4th,because they were being recreated in the image of Jesus, Who also kept the commandments,including the 4th, they rested on the 7th day, according to the commandment.

Anyway, it wasn't the Ten Commandment law that was a burden to Israel. It was not God's law, but Moses law that was the burden and was nailed to the cross. The laws and ordinances that pertained to the sacrificial system that tied Israel to the earthly sanctuary. The NT opened a new way to the real sanctuary in the heavens where Jesus stands as our great High Priest. The earthly temple was but a copy of the heavenly. The services of the earthly but a prophetic portrayal of the gospel, of the ministry of Jesus. But the law of God that was written on tables of stone and placed within the ark was also a copy of the original that is a representation of the character of God, and a reflection of His righteousness. It was because of transgression against that law that Jesus had to die. That law has not changed, nor ever can be without a change to God Himself. It is that law that is now written upon the minds and hearts of God's people. It comes to us in the form of the love that is shed abroad from our hearts by the Holy Spirit. So we keep those laws not in order to be justified, but because we are justified.
You are correct my brother in Christ, brakelite. God Bless you...you are such a blessing to have here on this forum...truth is so precious.

Continue to fight the good fight of faith...for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Love in Christ...your sister in Him,
Verna.

I keep you in my prayers.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 AM

144 posts, read 149,378 times
It's seams strange to that for the most part we forget (Remember The Sabbath and KEEP it HOLY.) The only Commandment that say's we should REMEMBER. No God did not change his Holy Day man did. The Sabbath was made by God for man. For on the Seventh Day He rested.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingdeer View Post
It's seams strange to that for the most part we forget (Remember The Sabbath and KEEP it HOLY.) The only Commandment that say's we should REMEMBER. No God did not change his Holy Day man did. The Sabbath was made by God for man. For on the Seventh Day He rested.
Yes standingdeer. God prefaced this specific commandment with the reminder to REMEMBER to keep the seventh day Sabbath holy...why did He do so? Because it was establish from the very beginning of creation...it never went anywhere.

Those who choose not to keep the commandments of God are wicked sinners...and God does not know them, nor do they know God. God does not abide with them, nor do they abide with God....and they will not enter into the Kingdom of God. It is written...Thus saith the LORD God Almighty!!!

God Bless,
Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity