Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM

144 posts, read 149,439 times

Advertisements

Not I. In our home we try to keep Kosher, according to the bible. If we follow (Yeshua) Jesus then we are Israel. For we are grafted into the olive tree. If you are grafted, you become part of the tree. I was deceived for a long time. God has opened my eye's, there is a special blessing in keeping the Sabbath. Gods HOLY DAY. Man has changed the times and seasons, not God. For he is the same yesterday, today and forever. I believe that He is calling his people out, those that are willing to keep HIS Commandants and to honor Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingdeer View Post
Not I. In our home we try to keep Kosher, according to the bible. If we follow (Yeshua) Jesus then we are Israel. For we are grafted into the olive tree. If you are grafted, you become part of the tree. I was deceived for a long time. God has opened my eye's, there is a special blessing in keeping the Sabbath. Gods HOLY DAY. Man has changed the times and seasons, not God. For he is the same yesterday, today and forever. I believe that He is calling his people out, those that are willing to keep HIS Commandants and to honor Him.
Amen brother..God Bless you.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Funny now that I think about it I, the first day of my work week is Monday. So in the scheme of things Sunday is the last day of the week as far as laboring goes. Calendars in Germany have monday as the first day of the week.

Further, consider to whom the Sabbath was directed.

Exodus 31:12-17

12 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

Who are the children of Israel?
I think you nailed it!!!! Good observation with Scripture proof text.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
What changed it was .........
Romans 6:14
For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.
Galatians 3:25
Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.
Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
Colossians 2:16
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

Another Scripture proof text

Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 PM

234 posts, read 238,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Might I suggest you read this? //www.city-data.com/forum/18636705-post1.html

As for the following....
For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

Does grace therefore give us licence to transgress the law?

Does faith give us licence to transgress the law?

Does the Holy Spirit lead us to transgress the law?

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

Allow me to complete the sentence Paul was writing , just to get it in context eh?

16 ¶ Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The weekly Sabbath was not a shadow of things to come, but a memorial of creation. The shadows were established after sin, in order to deal with sin. When Jesus came, He offered Himself as the final solution to the sin problem. Thus the shadows were done away with. But the weekly Sabbath, because it was not a shadow, nor could possibly be because it was introduced before sin, still stands.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 PM

144 posts, read 149,439 times
brakelite, The shadows that you mention, shadow pictures of things to come. The Spring Feast, Jesus fulfilled. Passover, and First Fruits to day, hour and minute. The Fall Feast has yet to fulfilled. The Feast of Trumpets, which no man knows the day or hour that it will happen until the sighting of the New Moon. At that time the trumpets sound. At the last trump the Feast of Trumpet's will start. Matt. 24:31 and he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. 1st Cor. 15:52. Read. The shadow picture of his return is the Feast of Trumpets, when he calls us to Him. Compare No man knows, when He will return, only the Father.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingdeer View Post
brakelite, The shadows that you mention, shadow pictures of things to come. The Spring Feast, Jesus fulfilled. Passover, and First Fruits to day, hour and minute. The Fall Feast has yet to fulfilled. The Feast of Trumpets, which no man knows the day or hour that it will happen until the sighting of the New Moon. At that time the trumpets sound. At the last trump the Feast of Trumpet's will start. Matt. 24:31 and he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. 1st Cor. 15:52. Read. The shadow picture of his return is the Feast of Trumpets, when he calls us to Him. Compare No man knows, when He will return, only the Father.
Hi. I agree with you re the feasts that Jesus fulfilled. Add to that of course Pentecost which was met with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. The feast of trumpets is interesting. Originally coming on the 1st day of the 7th month, it was a preparatory call to the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur). It was a solemn call for all Israel to prepare to meet their God. The Day of Atonement was synonymous with judgement. The feast of trumpets announced to Israel that judgement day wasa coming. It began a time of intense confession and consecration, because any Jew not properly prepared for the "Day" was cut off from the house of Israel.
So I do not see the feast of trumpets as the second coming. The feast of trumpets in its antitypical form is a warning to the world to prepare for Christ's second coming. And the secopnd coming cannot come until the conclusion to the antitypical Day of Atonement. Then comes the feast of tebernacles, which all the redeemed will celebrate in heaven.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM

178 posts, read 184,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

Very true. Too sad for those who think their obedience to the law is what saves them.

Romans:

3:21-26 - But now we are seeing the righteousness of God declared quite apart from the Law (though amply testified to by both Law and Prophets) - it is a righteousness imparted to, and operating in, all who have faith in Jesus Christ. (For there is no distinction to be made anywhere: everyone has sinned, everyone falls short of the beauty of God's plan.) Under this divine system a man who has faith is now freely acquitted in the eyes of God by his generous dealing in the redemptive act of Jesus Christ. God has appointed him as the means of propitiation, a propitiation accomplished by the shedding of his blood, to be received and made effective in ourselves by faith. God has done this to demonstrate his righteousness both by the wiping out of the sins of the past (the time when he withheld his hand), and by showing in the present time that he is a just God and that he justifies every man who has faith in Jesus Christ.

Faith, not pride of achievement

3:27-28 - What happens now to human pride of achievement? There is no more room for it. Why, because failure to keep the Law has killed it? Not at all, but because the whole matter is now on a different plane - believing instead of achieving. We see now that a man is justified before God by the fact of his faith in God's appointed Saviour and not by what he has managed to achieve under the Law.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post
Very true. Too sad for those who think their obedience to the law is what saves them.

Romans:

3:21-26 - But now we are seeing the righteousness of God declared quite apart from the Law (though amply testified to by both Law and Prophets) - it is a righteousness imparted to, and operating in, all who have faith in Jesus Christ. (For there is no distinction to be made anywhere: everyone has sinned, everyone falls short of the beauty of God's plan.) Under this divine system a man who has faith is now freely acquitted in the eyes of God by his generous dealing in the redemptive act of Jesus Christ. God has appointed him as the means of propitiation, a propitiation accomplished by the shedding of his blood, to be received and made effective in ourselves by faith. God has done this to demonstrate his righteousness both by the wiping out of the sins of the past (the time when he withheld his hand), and by showing in the present time that he is a just God and that he justifies every man who has faith in Jesus Christ.

Faith, not pride of achievement

3:27-28 - What happens now to human pride of achievement? There is no more room for it. Why, because failure to keep the Law has killed it? Not at all, but because the whole matter is now on a different plane - believing instead of achieving. We see now that a man is justified before God by the fact of his faith in God's appointed Saviour and not by what he has managed to achieve under the Law.
Rejoicer, to be honest I do not see how your post here quoted has anything whatsoever to do with the subject in hand. No-one in the entire thread has even vaguely intimated that one can be saved by keeping the law.
Your point is the perfect straw-man argument. True what you said, but nothing to do with the topic. To opine that Sabbath keepers ought not keep the Sabbath because one cannot be saved by keeping the law, is no more relevant than if I should suggest to you that you should steal your neighbours car because you cannot be saved by keeping the law.

Previously you said that "Christ is the end of the law for them that believe". I agree with that of course, after all, it's scripture. But does that mean what you seem to claim it to mean? That because Jesus is the 'end of the law' or as you said elsewhere, that He 'fulfilled' the law, does that mean that we can now, because we "believe" we can, disobey the law with impunity? That we can transgress that law and sin? Paul answers that question in Romans 6:1. Shall we sin that grace may abound? God forbid!

Also in a previous post you said that the Sabbath was given only to the Jews, and therefore is not applicable to the Gentiles. Have you read the book of Revelation recently? The New Jerusalem has 12 gates, and each gate is named for a specific tribe of Israel Where then is the gate for the Gentile? There are none for Gentile believers. Why? Because the Gentile is now a grafted branch into Israel, the root tree. We are all of Israel if we are of Christ. In fact, if you don't identify yourself as such there is no entrance for you in heaven. Which gate would you enter through?
Notice also that in the new earth all the people of God will still be observing the Sabbath. (See Isa 62.) Or will you stay home then because you are not a Jew? Note also, that those Sabbaths are a holy convocation for worship. Just as they were intended to be in the OT and as they are now.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
Might I suggest you read this? //www.city-data.com/forum/18636705-post1.html

As for the following....

Does grace therefore give us licence to transgress the law?

Does faith give us licence to transgress the law?

Does the Holy Spirit lead us to transgress the law?

Allow me to complete the sentence Paul was writing , just to get it in context eh?

16 ¶ Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The weekly Sabbath was not a shadow of things to come, but a memorial of creation. The shadows were established after sin, in order to deal with sin. When Jesus came, He offered Himself as the final solution to the sin problem. Thus the shadows were done away with. But the weekly Sabbath, because it was not a shadow, nor could possibly be because it was introduced before sin, still stands.
Now how did you forget Romans 14:5? You have said all of this to prove how your legalism stands over Jesus' finished work on the cross for all of us. The Apostle Paul said that each individual Christian should decide whether to observe a Sabbath rest, “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind” (Romans 14:5). We are to worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity