Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, Yes...That is my personal conviction...
Well I'll be !

How long have you been a seventh day Sabbath Keeper Richard ?

...and if you don't mind...tell me how you observe the day. Thank you.

God Bless you,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
So Richard......

...are you telling me that you are a seventh day Sabbath Keeper ?

God Bless you,
Verna.
Not to travel on Shabbat outside the limits of one's place of residence (Ex. 16:29) (CCN7). See Shabbat.
To sanctify Shabbat (Ex. 20:8) (CCA19). See Shabbat.
Not to do work on Shabbat (Ex. 20:10) (CCN6). See Shabbat.
To rest on Shabbat (Ex. 23:12; 34:21) (CCA20). See Shabbat.
To set the showbread and the frankincense before the L-rd every Shabbat (Ex. 25:30) (affirmative).

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Here are the Ten Sayings contained within the 613 Mitzvah:

1. To know that G-d exists (Ex. 20:2)
2. Not to entertain the idea that there is any god but the Eternal (Ex. 20:3)
312. Not to make a graven image; neither to make it oneself nor to have it made by others (Ex. 20:4)
318. Not to worship an idol in the way in which it is usually worshipped (Ex. 20:5)
319. Not to bow down to an idol, even if that is not its mode of worship (Ex. 20:5)
204. Not to swear needlessly (Ex. 20:7)
109. To sanctify Shabbat (Ex. 20:8)
110. Not to do work on Shabbat (Ex. 20:10)
59. To honor father and mother (Ex. 20:12)
241. Not to testify falsely (Ex. 20:13)
282. Not to covet what belongs to another (Ex. 20:14)
278. Not to slay an innocent person (Ex. 20:13)
279. Not to kidnap any person of Israel (Ex. 20:13) (according to the Talmud, this verse refers to stealing a person, distinguished from Lev. 19:11, regarding the taking of property)

There is more to the Ten than meets the eye...

Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Not to travel on Shabbat outside the limits of one's place of residence (Ex. 16:29) (CCN7). See Shabbat.
To sanctify Shabbat (Ex. 20:8) (CCA19). See Shabbat.
Not to do work on Shabbat (Ex. 20:10) (CCN6). See Shabbat.
To rest on Shabbat (Ex. 23:12; 34:21) (CCA20). See Shabbat.
To set the showbread and the frankincense before the L-rd every Shabbat (Ex. 25:30) (affirmative).

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Here are the Ten Sayings contained within the 613 Mitzvah:

1. To know that G-d exists (Ex. 20:2)
2. Not to entertain the idea that there is any god but the Eternal (Ex. 20:3)
312. Not to make a graven image; neither to make it oneself nor to have it made by others (Ex. 20:4)
318. Not to worship an idol in the way in which it is usually worshipped (Ex. 20:5)
319. Not to bow down to an idol, even if that is not its mode of worship (Ex. 20:5)
204. Not to swear needlessly (Ex. 20:7)
109. To sanctify Shabbat (Ex. 20:8)
110. Not to do work on Shabbat (Ex. 20:10)
59. To honor father and mother (Ex. 20:12)
241. Not to testify falsely (Ex. 20:13)
278. Not to slay an innocent person (Ex. 20:13)
279. Not to kidnap any person of Israel (Ex. 20:13) (according to the Talmud, this verse refers to stealing a person, distinguished from Lev. 19:11, regarding the taking of property)

There is more to the Ten than meets the eye...
So, before we go any further, tell me.....what exactly is it that you believe I am in error of in my understanding of keeping the Sabbath ?...Where do you and I differ, according to you, in our understandings of keeping the Sabbath holy unto God on Saturday ?

God Bless you,
Verna.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Well I'll be !

God Bless you,
Verna.
H7676
שׁבּת
shabbâth
shab-bawth'
Intensive from H7673; intermission, that is, (specifically) the Sabbath: - (+ every) sabbath.

H7673
שׁבת
shâbath
shaw-bath'
A primitive root; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

H7637
שׁבעי שׁביעי
shebıy‛ıy shebi‛ıy
sheb-ee-ee', sheb-ee-ee'
Ordinal from H7657; seventh: - seventh (time).

Hawyaw commanded man to rest on the Shabbat...It is a day of rest and learning...I pray to Hawyaw, give Him thanks, increase my knowledge of Him and His attributes...Just as any other day except I rest, do no labor...The Shabbat means 'intermission' and this is from ones regular vocation...In the Shabbat we have two commands 1. To remember it, 2. To observe it...It is not, as some believe, a day of worship for we are to worship Him everyday...Hawyaw created the Shabbat for man, He did not create man for the Shabbat...This is an interesting read if you are interested:

[SIZE=3]Work Exception Cases[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]However, there seems to be a number of exception cases where certain work is permitted. These fall into two major categories: (1) work that the Eternal specifies must be performed on the Sabbath, and (2) dealing with unplanned events. The Israelites marched around Jericho 7 days—one had to be a Sabbath (Josh 6:3-4). A priest was consecrated for seven days—one of which was a Sabbath (Ex 29:29-30; Lev 8:30-35). Our Savior agreed with the Jewish practice of circumcising a baby boy on the eighth day, even if it was the Sabbath (John 7:22-23). Also, Temple guards worked on the Sabbath (2Kngs 11:5-9, 2Chr 23:4-8)—they took control back from the evil Athaliah on that day. Priests work on Sabbath and are blameless (Matt 12:5). Not only could the priests work, but when the tabernacle was dedicated, the leaders of the twelve tribes of Israel each presented an offering on twelve consecutive days (Num 7:10-83). One or two of these offerings must have been on a Sabbath.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The scripture recognizes a variety of emergency work, such as rescuing trapped animals on the Sabbath (Luke 14:5). Picking food to eat immediately and healing are acceptable on the Sabbath (Matt 12:1-12). Our Savior even made clay as a part of his healing of a blind man (John 9:14-17).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A specific example of a Sabbath exception was the man healed on the Sabbath (John 5:5-16). The leaders of his day told the man that it was unlawful to carry his bed on the Sabbath—they may have cited Old Testament scriptures forbidding "bearing burdens on the Sabbath." If another man was carrying the same bed on the same Sabbath for personal or profit reasons, he may well have been in violation. But this man took his bed home so as not to leave it as so much "litter" for others. He had no way to know he would be healed that Sabbath, and he may well never have carried a bed on the Sabbath again.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The general principle of doing good to others on the Sabbath is repeated twice (Mar 3:4, Luke 6:9). Yes, it is good for a man to work to feed his family, but the Bible never commends a man for doing this on the Sabbath. Certainly, some believers were slaves of others that were not believers. Paul does not instruct them to risk death and run away in order to be able to rest on the Sabbath (1Cor 7:21-22). However, he tells them that they should obtain their freedom if possible.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Similarly, today, it may not be wise for a poor person who has learned about the Sabbath to immediately quit his job and lose his wife or children for not supporting them. However, a person must be doing everything they can in order to be "free" from working on the Sabbath—their Savior will be their judge. This author believes that a person should do regular work on the Sabbath if the survival of his family is at stake. This does not mean that one should work on the Sabbath to maintain the quality of life they are used to (a standard of living higher than necessary). If not working on the Sabbath means moving to a little apartment and eating beans, that is what should be done. If a person learns about the Sabbath and has faith that the Eternal will take care of them and believes they should quit their present job immediately—then they should live according to that faith.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
How to Observe a Biblical Sabbath

Wow!...There is a lot more here on how one should observe the Shabbat that I did not know...

Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
So, before we go any further, tell me.....what exactly is it that you believe I am in error of in my understanding of keeping the Sabbath ?...Where do you and I differ, according to you, in our understandings of keeping the Sabbath holy unto God on Saturday ?

God Bless you,
Verna.
You never did tell me how you remember and observe it...So, I do not know if you are just keeping it as the majority of Christians do or you are keeping it in accordance with how the Jews remember and observe it...I really do not know...Many people would say if one does not attend church one is a violator of the Shabbat...If one does not read the Bible one is a violator...If one works on sunday, they are a violator...We should all be remembering it and observing it the same way as it has been remembered and observed for over 6,000 years...

Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Here is something else:

People with a Christian background usually believe that their only major obligation each Sunday is to attend a "church service"—usually about an hour long. The more diligent may also attend a Bible study and/or a second service, but few see Sunday as an entire day to be observed. When people from this background learn about the Sabbath day in the Bible, they have little experience in how to keep it.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Well I'll be !

God Bless you,
Verna.
It has been the last five or ten years that I began questioning...I see nothing in the Scriptures to indicate that Jeshua Meshiach changed the day from Saturday to Sunday...I merely believed what I was taught by those 'older christians'...Until I began noticing a lot of contradiction between them, and many times within the same congegation...So, I decided to let the Scriptures be my guide, not man...I began to look into my Jewish ancestry and to accertain what they believed and how they observed Hawyaw...It seems that the liberals have in fact hijacked Christianity and watered it down...The heritage of Christianity is Judaism, it is not another religion...Why would the early church, which was composed by a majority of Jews, observe the Judaic practices coupled with Faith in the Meshiach, if it were in fact another religion?...

Old 01-02-2012, 11:34 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Quote:
It has been the last five or ten years that I began questioning...I see nothing in the Scriptures to indicate that Jeshua Meshiach changed the day from Saturday to Sunday...I merely believed what I was taught by those 'older christians'...Until I began noticing a lot of contradiction between them, and many times within the same congegation...So, I decided to let the Scriptures be my guide, not man...I began to look into my Jewish ancestry and to accertain what they believed and how they observed Hawyaw...It seems that the liberals have in fact hijacked Christianity and watered it down...The heritage of Christianity is Judaism, it is not another religion...Why would the early church, which was composed by a majority of Jews, observe the Judaic practices coupled with Faith in the Meshiach, if it were in fact another religion?...

i am so glad i discovered this thread--everything you say here makes so much sense,especially your last two sentences)--including your ten rules(similar in some aspects to christian 10 commandments--it gives me more courage to continue to honor judaism as the heritage of the christian lessons i teach

Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Richard....Can one who is born of God continue to commit willfull sin and still receive eternal life ?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Richard....Can one who is born of God continue to commit willfull sin and still receive eternal life ?
I do not believe that one born of Hawyaw will continue to commit willful sin...If one 'claims' to be a believer and continues in their sin without conscience, without crying out to Hawyaw to rip this sin from him and create in him a clean heart, as David entreated Hawyaw to do...I believe that they missed the mark to begin with, that they just initially had just a form of godliness but not the power that is from Hawyaw, iow, a wolf in sheeps clothing...I have met many like this...When you stumble, if it does not bother your conscience, then I would seriously question that you are a genuine believer...If you are not down on your knees begging Hawyaw to give you victory over sin...You may well be one of the goats in disguise...If one is not struggling to obtain control over their flesh...I have serious doubts regarding their 'claimed' Faith....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity