Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Exactly what are the sins one can commit against God??? When we "sin"/do something wrong...it always involves ourselves and another person. If that person forgives us for our wrong...then we are forgiven. Are you saying that God also has to forgive us...even though it clearly states that when God sees us...he does not see sin???
What we do to each other is always little stuff. I could get angry and insult you, and then regret it and apologize, and you might forgive me. Little stuff, pennies for pennies. Our sins against God are much greater, as He is Holy and when we reject Him we commit a sin which could never be repaid by a human being. Only He can forgive you for rejection and all other sins you have committed against Him, other people or your with own body, such as sexual immorality, or self destructive behaviour, or sins you commit with your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What we do to each other is always little stuff. I could get angry and insult you, and then regret it and apologize, and you might forgive me. Little stuff, pennies for pennies. Our sins against God are much greater, as He is Holy and when we reject Him we commit a sin which could never be repaid by a human being. Only He can forgive you for rejection and all other sins you have committed against Him, other people or your with own body, such as sexual immorality, or self destructive behaviour, or sins you commit with your mind.
So...we not only need other peoples forgiveness but we also have to get forgiveness from God as well???

We can only commit "sins"/do something wrong against other people...and generally, when we commit "sins" against ourselves, others are always affected as well. Please provide us with a verse that shows we must ask for forgiveness from not only those we hurt but from God as well...because I've never found one.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
So...we not only need other peoples forgiveness but we also have to get forgiveness from God as well???

We can only commit "sins"/do something wrong against other people...and generally, when we commit "sins" against ourselves, others are always affected as well. Please provide us with a verse that shows we must ask for forgiveness from not only those we hurt but from God as well...because I've never found one.

Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:39

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord (Acts 3:19)

In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. Acts 17:30

Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,150 times
Quote:
Focus, and you will learn what people are talking about. We were talking about pcamps forgiving people their sins. He can forgive you your sins, but that won't save you. Only Jesus can wipe them away. We, as people can, and should, forgive each other, but I cannot forgive you the sins you have committed against God.
Forgiving a person interpersonally is not the same as forgiving all else that is not between us. Only God can do that.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:39

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord (Acts 3:19)

In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. Acts 17:30
Thanks.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Forgiving a person interpersonally is not the same as forgiving all else that is not between us. Only God can do that.
What we owe to God is much greater we can ever own to a fellow human. Someone used the Wicked Servant parable yesterday and it demonstrated very well the magnitude of the sin debt we owe God. It was measured as several thousand lifetimes worth of wages, which is same as saying it is so big no one can ever pay it. Only God can forgive it, and He will forgive it.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,525,301 times
Quote:
Focus, and you will learn what people are talking about. We were talking about pcamps forgiving people their sins. He can forgive you your sins, but that won't save you. Only Jesus can wipe them away. We, as people can, and should, forgive each other, but I cannot forgive you the sins you have committed against God.
Actually, you are talking about that in order to avoid deeper questions asked of you. The thread is about god not counting sins against you (which you clearly believe is only true for believers). Shall we stay on topic?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

Repent means to change your mind. Each of the above is talking about just that and has nothing to do with sins.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yet the passage we are discussing in this thread talks about reaching men of the world (me in the female form) and bringing them the ministry of reconciliation. What you are saying illicites no desire in me to follow what you believe let alone do I trust you to tell me what will benefit my life....

So your witnessing is ineffective.

Now if you told me that god is not counting my sins against me, I would respond favorably! So either you don't care about me, your fellow human, or you don't believe god is not counting sins against people.

Which is it?
I can't tell you that God is not counting your sins against you for since you openly reject Jesus as God. That is bearing false witness against Jesus.

Those who don't care about tell you not to worry about it... you're going to be fine anyway. Go ahead, reject Jesus as God now .. be on your way, your re-education camp leader has guaranteed your safe passage beyond the judgement that you will have to face.

I do care about you ... I do not want to see the sheer terror when you will be forced to acknowledge Jesus as God moments away from being thrown (not voluntarily going) into eternal punishment in hell.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I can't tell you that God is not counting your sins against you for since you openly reject Jesus as God. That is bearing false witness against Jesus.

Those who don't care about tell you not to worry about it... you're going to be fine anyway. Go ahead, reject Jesus as God now .. be on your way, your re-education camp leader has guaranteed your safe passage beyond the judgement that you will have to face.

I do care about you ... I do not want to see the sheer terror when you will be forced to acknowledge Jesus as God moments away from being thrown (not voluntarily going) into eternal punishment in hell.
I appreciate the sentiment... although I am not afraid of any torturous afterlife. I'll deal with that when it comes time.

I previously asked if You thought Your sins were not counted against you and if so why do You need to ask God for forgiveness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity