Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
How is the underlined part ^^^ any different from judgment at judgment day?

I honestly can't see the difference, Finn. Both situations appear (to me) to be the same thing--- passing judgment on other people's behavior as right or wrong.

Care to add?
People keep trying but you are not listening, or not understanding.

Read your post #2. That is an example of carnal judgment, where you judge Christians as people "who don't have a clue". Jesus said HE IS NOT GUILTY of that kind of judgment. Why? Because carnal judgment is a sin in God's eyes. It is not about right or wrong, it is about critisizing and tearing down your brothers and sisters, and elevating yourself over them.
Jesus was not guilty of it. Do you understand this? A judge in a court of law does not critisize you, or tear you down, he/she judges you according to the law, and that is what Jesus will do. Do you see the difference?

On judgment day Jesus will judge sinners for the sins they have stored up during their lives, and He will sent the rigteous to eternal life and unrighteous to eternal torment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,218,617 times
Quote:
Did you know that Jesus was considered a "new-ager" by the Pharisees? They thought He had a demon, and was the leader of demons, and a sinner, and a deceiver. You can't get much worse than that..!

So Jesus was very much derided and considered "heretical" by the religious. -Would it be any different today??

Blessings,
brian
Nope...because anyone who sees something different in scripture from the mainstream is ALWAYS labeled New Age, a Heretic, Satan Follower, etc....it's just par for the course. I guess their faith is so delicate...they just can't bear to examine and learn about other people views...and I can't understand why it scares them so much.

I personally love hearing about the different views and am always fascinated by the paths people take and how people come to believe what they believe.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,123,193 times
Quote:
What's the PURPOSE of "Judgment?"
To separate the sheep from the goats, or the wheat from the chaff.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Punishment

Our works will be judged, as opposed to our salvation.

1 Cor. 3

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. 14 If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15 If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.
So you are not someone who believes in "justification by faith alone".

Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,374,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People keep trying but you are not listening, or not understanding.

Read your post #2. That is an example of carnal judgment, where you judge Christians as people "who don't have a clue". Jesus said HE IS NOT GUILTY of that kind of judgment. Why? Because carnal judgment is a sin in God's eyes. It is not about right or wrong, it is about critisizing and tearing down your brothers and sisters, and elevating yourself over them.
Jesus was not guilty of it. Do you understand this? A judge in a court of law does not critisize you, or tear you down, he/she judges you according to the law, and that is what Jesus will do. Do you see the difference?

On judgment day Jesus will judge sinners for the sins they have stored up during their lives, and He will sent the rigteous to eternal life and unrighteous to eternal torment.
Let me see if I understand:

You say that "carnal judging" is "criticizing and tearing down your brothers and sisters, and elevating yourself over them."

So God is not going to elevate Himself over sinners? He's not going to criticize them?

That is what I was taught growing up, that He will elevate Himself ("every knee will bow..") and criticize (be critical of ) others for not believing.

--In other words, I think what you are trying to say is, that God's not going to "get personal" with anybody. He's just going to hold them to "the Law" and sentence them? (like a machine, black or white, fail or pass)

Thank you for your clarification.

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
To separate the sheep from the goats, or the wheat from the chaff.
Hi Theophane,

I am very familiar with the sheep/goats verses. They are a "parable" that Jesus used to keep the people in spiritual darkness. However, it may be good to remember that both sheep and goats were considered "clean" animals in the OT. In fact, even a goat could be used for the passover, not only lambs.

Back to my OP, though, it's still not very clear what Judgment is all about. Many people seem so afraid of it; but if we are believing, shouldn't we be like David, who considered judgment a good thing??

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,136,399 times
The purpose of judgment: to teach people righteousness!

Genesis 18:25 Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Psalm 7:11 God is a righteous judge, a God who displays his wrath every day.

Psalm 9:8 He rules the world in righteousness and judges the peoples with equity.

Psalm 96:13 Let all creation rejoice before the LORD, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness.

Psalm 98:9 let them sing before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples with equity.

Isaiah 11:4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.

Isaiah 26:9 My soul yearns for you in the night;
in the morning my spirit longs for you.
When your judgments come upon the earth,
the people of the world learn righteousness.

Ecc 3:17 I said to myself, “God will bring into judgment both the righteous and the wicked, for there will be a time for every activity, a time to judge every deed.”

So this gives us a picture of God's judgment, and its purpose:
- it destroys the wicked
- it happens every day, and it is something that comes according to what we do
- it is something to rejoice over (all creation rejoices)
- it sets things right
- it teaches people righteousness

And this all aligns perfectly with what Christ came to do:
Romans 5:18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.

19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

Make no mistake, when God's judgments come the people of the earth will learn righteousness, for Christ will make all righteous just as Adam made all sinners. Is the transgression bigger than God's grace?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,136,399 times
The purpose of judgment: to destroy the wicked.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,994 times
Quote:
Actually, I want to hear ALL the truth, in detail. But you haven't answered the OP yet (5 pages so far).

Blessings,
brian

If you truly want to hear ALL the Truth, then ask God to open your heart and mind to 'see' and 'hear' his Truth, Brian.

Until then, any Truths given you will not be seen or heard.

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)

Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
If you truly want to hear ALL the Truth, then ask God to open your heart and mind to 'see' and 'hear' his Truth, Brian.

Until then, any Truths given you will not be seen or heard.

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
Hi saved33,

It should be obvious by now, that I may see the idea of "judgment" a little differently than most here.

However, since this concept of "judgment day" is used so much, I'd like to know from those who talk about it so much, specifically what they mean by it. Some people have given some thought to it; others are afraid to make an effort.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity