Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:07 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that Jesus Christ's sacrifice atoned for Adam's sin. From what a lot of people here are saying, it sounds like they disagree with that belief. If Jesus didn't atone for Adam's sin, whose sins did it atone for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've always thought that Jesus Christ's sacrifice atoned for Adam's sin. From what a lot of people here are saying, it sounds like they disagree with that belief. If Jesus didn't atone for Adam's sin, whose sins did it atone for?
Katzpur, Jesus does atone for Adam's sin by our acceptance of Him. But look around if you can't see Adam's sin then your have to be blind don't you? Does not a baby die? The baby has done nothing but it cannot die unless it has sin. There is no other way to die, less you have sin. So where did the baby get the sin? - from Adam. Read Romans 5.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Katzpur, Jesus does atone for Adam's sin by our acceptance of Him.
I'm talking about Adam and whether Jesus died in order that Adam would be forgiven for the sin he committed by disobeying God.

Quote:
But look around if you can't see Adam's sin then your have to be blind don't you?
Not really. I see a lot of sins, but Adam didn't commit any of them. Other people did.

Quote:
Does not a baby die? The baby has done nothing but it cannot die unless it has sin.
That's where I disagree. I think babies die because they are sick.

Quote:
There is no other way to die, less you have sin. So where did the baby get the sin? - from Adam. Read Romans 5.
I don't think the baby did "get the sin," because I believe that Christ atoned for it, and it was forgiven. I believe babies are without sin. I think we die because Adam's sin brought death into the world.

None of this actually answers my question, though. When Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of mankind, I thought that included Adam. It sounds like you believe you will be forgiven of your sins because Jesus died to pay the price for them, but that you don't believe He paid the price for Adam's sin and that Adam therefore died as an unrepentant sinner. Correct me, please, if I've misunderstood you.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-28-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,076 times
Hi Katzpur.

Adam, through his sin, was cursed with several things, including physical death. Doomed to die is the most literal translation of the Gen 2:17 if we were to be Hebrew about it The cure from Christ was generally all of the said curses, in the most spiritual sense, but as well, can be applied to physical blessings i.e. thorn and thistles to bountiful harvests.

The Hebrew thought on many levels, just as did the ancient peoples that lived during this time, and multifaceted dimensions to these themes were always considered. In other words, death, that Adam was destined to because of sin, was the result of the curse, the banishment from the presence of God and the garden i.e. tree of life. Covenant Death see Isa 28:18 and because he chose to eat from the tree of knowledge, he chose NOT to live forever.

The plan was always to bring man out of physical death which lead to separation from God in the most final sense. God chose Adam, made him from the dust of the earth, and blew his spirit into him. He had covenant life with God. He chose death, and lost that life. Christ brought it back.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Hi Katzpur.

Adam, through his sin, was cursed with several things, including physical death. Doomed to die is the most literal translation of the Gen 2:17 if we were to be Hebrew about it The cure from Christ was generally all of the said curses, in the most spiritual sense, but as well, can be applied to physical blessings i.e. thorn and thistles to bountiful harvests.

The Hebrew thought on many levels, just as did the ancient peoples that lived during this time, and multifaceted dimensions to these themes were always considered. In other words, death, that Adam was destined to because of sin, was the result of the curse, the banishment from the presence of God and the garden i.e. tree of life. Covenant Death see Isa 28:18 and because he chose to eat from the tree of knowledge, he chose NOT to live forever.

The plan was always to bring man out of physical death which lead to separation from God in the most final sense. God chose Adam, made him from the dust of the earth, and blew his spirit into him. He had covenant life with God. He chose death, and lost that life. Christ brought it back.
Hi, sciotamicks. It's good to see you again! I definitely agree that all of us suffer physical death because of Adam's transgression. I also agree that we are all born with the propensity to sin. I guess I just believe that if Jesus Christ will forgive me of my sins, He would do the same for Adam. If He forgave Adam for his sin, I don't see how we could still inherit it. The sin itself would be atoned for, forgiven, forgotten, (IMO).

I guess another question I could have asked instead is, "Is Adam going to heaven or hell, and why?"

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-28-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
There is no other way to die, less you have sin. So where did the baby get the sin? - from Adam. Read Romans 5.
Using that logic either Jesus(as) did not die or he had sin.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Jesus death on the cross paid for all sins for all mankind. Its called the universal atonement.
Isa 53:4 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God,smitten by him, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.
Isa 53:6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Ro 5:18 Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.
Ro 5:19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about Adam and whether Jesus died in order that Adam would be forgiven for the sin he committed by disobeying God.

Not really. I see a lot of sins, but Adam didn't commit any of them. Other people did.

That's where I disagree. I think babies die because they are sick.

I don't think the baby did "get the sin," because I believe that Christ atoned for it, and it was forgiven. I believe babies are without sin. I think we die because Adam's sin brought death into the world.

None of this actually answers my question, though. When Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of mankind, I thought that included Adam. It sounds like you believe you will be forgiven of your sins because Jesus died to pay the price for them, but that you don't believe He paid the price for Adam's sin and that Adam therefore died as an unrepentant sinner. Correct me, please, if I've misunderstood you.
Think about what you said Kazpur, you said babies die because they are sick. That is not the only way babies have died. But let's go with that. Isn't sickness a result of sin? And therefore if they died of sickness then they died because of sin.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Using that logic either Jesus(as) did not die or he had sin.
Yes, Jesus took on the sin of the world as a sin offering.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,269 times
Quote:

His death atoned for our sin.

Rom 5:14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.
Rom 5:16 And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity