Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,443,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Sciota, we agree much here, the only point of contention seems to be which death is spoken of.

In the phrase dying thou shalt die I see both the physical death (in dying) and the spiritual death (in die).

In other words Adam was dying a physical death as all mortals must but if he ate from the tree he would die spiritually.

The law (which the tree represents) is a ministration of death and as the law is spiritual the transgression of the law must bring about a spiritual consequence; hence a spiritual death.
Hi pneuma,

I see it flipped. I'm dying in spiritual death, and I will die when I die. The purpose of Christ perfect offering, is to sanctify that which is dying all the time. Remember Paul said, I die daily....being put to death in Christ constantly...repentance, forgiveness, and forever being sanctified. ...just some thoughts. Blessings to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,512,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
This is pure speculation on your part...for NONE of this can be found in the bible.
Expecially if you're not willing to believe it any way.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,403,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Hi pneuma,

I see it flipped. I'm dying in spiritual death, and I will die when I die. The purpose of Christ perfect offering, is to sanctify that which is dying all the time. Remember Paul said, I die daily....being put to death in Christ constantly...repentance, forgiveness, and forever being sanctified. ...just some thoughts. Blessings to you.
Hi Scotia, we are talking about two different types of spiritual death. Your refering to dying in Christ, taking up our cross and following him, thus dying daily.

I am talking about our spirit dying, ie falling away from Christ.

However, it could be we are both correct, just looking at it from different a different view.

I see the law as being not just a commandment not to do something, but also see a promise in the very same commandment.

Example: Thou shalt not steal. That is a command telling us not to steal.

But the promise I see in that command is if one is in Christ Thou shalt not steal becomes a promise to us that when we are abiding in Him we will not steal.

I hope you can understand my example brother, sometimes I lack the words to fully express what I see.

Blessings back at you Scotia.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
How's this for a straight answer....
  • According to the historical Christian understanding of the words and application of:
    • forgiveness
    • atonement
    • heaven
    • hell
The Christian answer would be:

Forgiveness:
  • Adam was freely forgiven after he sinned
    • without cost or obligation
    • he immediately had the assurance of his forgiveness
    • he received complete forgiveness for the mere asking
    • the forgiveness was not being dependent on himself
Christ's Atonement
  • Jesus paid for the sins of all the world.
    • This is to mean the spiritual barrier and death that the fall into sin created between human and God.
    • That barrier which broke the perfection that God demands
What happened to Adam ..
  • he went to heaven solely because:
    1. Faith alone
    2. God's promise alone
    3. Faith in God's assurance of immediate forgiveness alone
    4. and currenly is in the full presence of God the Father
Fascinating. So Adam's in Heaven, in God's presence, and the rest of us are still being held accountable for his long-since forgiven sin.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hmmmm...this throws a great wrench in the majority of Christianity's long held original sin theology...and I will be looking forward to the biblical gymnastics, that will no doubt occur, in order to answer this.
You and me both. The strange thing is that this seems to being going over so many heads. That's what I find amazing.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-29-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 05:53 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,041,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
trettep,

we are entitled to our own opinion aren't we? I am not part of Adam's tribe. Adam was a Neolithic man that had his own family. Mine are from Wales and Scotland, predating the event of Adam seen in the ruins of Stonehenge. So his "sin" and transgression of the law God gave to him, is not my sin. My family was ignorant of the law, they had no law. Adam had a law. But his death is like mine, because all have sinned, including Adam, all coming short of God's glory. I had no part in Adam's covenant. But I do have part in Christ's. Does that help better understand where I stand? So according to how I see things, you are incorrect
Everyone is of Adam's body. And therefore, we are all under the same condemnation.

For those that don't believe that we are sinners due to Adam's sin then they need to look at this verse:

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

They need to explain how the offence of ONE led to the death of all that have died.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,708,591 times
One can not choose the things inherited in your flesh....

Original sin is ours, whether we like it or not....

But TODAY.... you can choose what you inherit in your soul....

........................CHOOSE JESUS, amen !!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,843,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Fascinating. So Adam's in Heaven, in God's presence, and the rest of us are still being held accountable for his long-since forgiven sin.

I don't know. For the past sources of humanity's breaded actuality there may be both: the atoned and unatoned for Adam. There would be the trustingly successful 'Adam' and the distrusted wanderer still needing to worry about the race relation He wished God to appease at him. Loving friendly communities as of the fall of Man just had to work, endure, and not even whine for governmental assistance. Not bight from the hand that feeds ya', OR have the pride for any job being beyond shame.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 AM

939 posts, read 1,026,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you. That's all I was really looking for. So if they were forgiven of their sin, how come we're still being held accountable for it? If the sin was forgiven, then Adam was cleansed and would not be able to pass his guilt along to us. That's the point of this thread.
Because we are not forgiven corporately. Romans 10 addresses that. Adam brought sin into the world, we are each born with a sin nature. We all must be forgiven individually for our sin.

Romans 5, I believe, says that sin entered the world through 1 man, and through 1 man (Christ), forgiveness was made available to all that believed.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,221,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Huh! so your saying those who Christ forgave when He was crucified were not forgiven
Apparently not...kind of deafeats the entire Jesus theology and why he was sacrificed if one believes that. Go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity