Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 PM

28,109 posts, read 30,014,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I believe Adam and Eve trust God in faith and were forgiven of their sin.
Thank you. That's all I was really looking for. So if they were forgiven of their sin, how come we're still being held accountable for it? If the sin was forgiven, then Adam was cleansed and would not be able to pass his guilt along to us. That's the point of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,507,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you're going to quote Spencer W. Kimball as often as you seem to like to do, it might be nice if you bothered to learn how to spell his name.

I didn't ask you what Mormons believe about whether or not Adam was forgiven. I already know what Mormons believe. I asked what you believe, and as usual, you failed to give me a straight answer.

How's this for a straight answer....
  • According to the historical Christian understanding of the words and application of:
    • forgiveness
    • atonement
    • heaven
    • hell
The Christian answer would be:

Forgiveness:
  • Adam was freely forgiven after he sinned
    • without cost or obligation
    • he immediately had the assurance of his forgiveness
    • he received complete forgiveness for the mere asking
    • the forgiveness was not being dependent on himself
Christ's Atonement
  • Jesus paid for the sins of all the world.
    • This is to mean the spiritual barrier and death that the fall into sin created between human and God.
    • That barrier which broke the perfection that God demands
What happened to Adam ..
  • he went to heaven solely because:
    1. Faith alone
    2. God's promise alone
    3. Faith in God's assurance of immediate forgiveness alone
    4. and currenly is in the full presence of God the Father

Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you. That's all I was really looking for. So if they were forgiven of their sin, how come we're still being held accountable for it? If the sin was forgiven, then Adam was cleansed and would not be able to pass his guilt along to us. That's the point of this thread.
Because they contaminated the creation. There is no such thing as starting out good or nuetral towards God. Sinful contaminated human parents have and conceive contaminated children.

The death that also occured is the spiritual which its that death which damns.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,441,675 times
twin,

Are you saying that Adam was resurrected from the dead already? I am curious, as I see the same thing per Matt 27, but historic Christianity, although scant throughout its history regarding this, generally disagrees with this idea, as this event is at the end of history, for everyone, from Adam to the last man. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
twin,

Are you saying that Adam was resurrected from the dead already? I am curious, as I see the same thing per Matt 27, but historic Christianity, although scant throughout its history regarding this, generally disagrees with this idea, as this event is at the end of history, for everyone, from Adam to the last man. Thanks.
sciotamicks,
No, I 'm saying that Adam was physically resurrected, but Jesus does reveal that "He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die."

The thing about physical death for the true believer is that when we die physically, it will be actually like waking up to the real world.

I am though at a loss as to the Matt 27 reference you're pointing to. Maybe a dm would be helpful ......

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,399,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
He was actually formed from SOIL, not dust.

The returning to the soil was the full culmination of "to die shalt thou be dying." Spiritual death is not a process. There is no such critter as "spiritual death" in the bible.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Tis the same word dust in both

Ya some believe there is no such thing as a spiritual death; however the spirit must be saved, which show there is a spiritual death.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. There are several renditions..That is another...with the same meaning.

Funny in your post to Kat you say death existed before the fall and when I point it out in dying thou shalt die you disagree with me.

Quote:
Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
That pretty much sums it up. Unless you are going to deny the incarnation and bodily resurrection from the dead that Jesus fulfilled for those who will be raised "like" Him and "see" as He sees? Vile body glorified. Phil 3

Sorry but one does not have to die a physical death in order to be resurrected in Christ.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I understand that ... I was pointing out that death in general occur in the creation because of Adam sin. And that is why animals die not because they sinned, but solely to Adam and Eve.
Death (natural) was already in existance before Adam sinned.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,940,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
7But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The phrase thou shalt surely die in a literal reading is dying thou shalt die.

Which to me indicates Adam was already dying a physical death. Once He disobeyed God sin was imputed unto him and he died spiritually.

The wages of sin is death

This death spoken of here is not a physical death.
Doesn't the text say "in the day" that you eat...? Isn't that the day when physical death would have started?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:07 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,074 times
Quote:
Hmmmm...this throws a great wrench in the majority of Christianity's long held original sin theology...and I will be looking forward to the biblical gymnastics, that will no doubt occur, in order to answer this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity