Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's right. He was conceived by his mother, who most definitely, by that point in her life, had sinned.

By virtue of existing, we will sin. By virtue of sinning, we will all become sinners.
EXACTLY...we are not born sinners...we become sinners when we actually sin. Just as a murderer is not called a murderer until they actually murder someone.

Why is this concept so difficult for some to understand???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
EXACTLY...we are not born sinners...we become sinners when we actually sin. Just as a murderer is not called a murderer until they actually murder someone.

Why is this concept so difficult for some to understand???
Did you have to learn to sin? Anyone that has kids can tell you that they're little sinners.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Did you have to learn to sin?
No. Because of our human nature, it comes naturally.

Quote:
Anyone that has kids can tell you that they're little sinners.
What was the first sin you can recall one of your kids committing?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No. Because of our human nature, it comes naturally.

What was the first sin you can recall one of your kids committing?
A temper tantrum, screaming "no". I truly believe that if she'd had the strength to do so she'd have probably ripped my arm off and beaten me over the head with it.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,433,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Everyone is of Adam's body. And therefore, we are all under the same condemnation.

For those that don't believe that we are sinners due to Adam's sin then they need to look at this verse:

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

They need to explain how the offence of ONE led to the death of all that have died.
Hi trettep,

I have noticed that when people believe in inherited sin, they will often quote the first part of the verse 12 in Romans 5. They almost always leave off the last phrase. Adam introduced covenant death into the world. The only covenant with God that provided the possibility of living forever. He introduced both physical death and spiritual death as a result of covenant transgression, and spiritual and eternal life as a result of obedience to the covenant renewal in Christ, for him, and those he fathered, and anyone who called upon the name of the lord. Those deaths have passed on to all men within and out of covenant, not because they are inherited from Adam, but because we all sin. Once again, the teaching in Romans 5:12 is the same as in James 1:14-15. Romans 5:13 says that death, physical death, existed before the law, however, the sin that is imputed resulting in death, did not exist. No law, no sin, still death, but no sin, since there was no law. Once the law came, to Adam, and he transgressed, death became the result of sin, for all men, even those outside of the tribe of Adam, like myself. Death became the punishment for sin, made by the example of Adam, even though it existed before void of sin's imputation.

The idea that children are born sinful I believe is a myth. A child begins life in this world in purity and innocence. When children are small, they have no knowledge of good or evil - Deuteronomy 1:39. A child must grow up in order to know to refuse evil and choose good - Isaiah 7:15-16. This is why Jesus said the kingdom of heaven is composed of people who are similar to little children - Mark 10:14. We have to become like children to enter the kingdom - Matthew 18:3. To enter the church, we must be cleansed of our sins, just as little children are without sin.

People are punished for their own sins - Colossians 3:25. God does not choose who is punished for sin or rewarded for righteous by the individual. Rather, the actions of each individual during his life determines whether he will be punished or rewarded. God set the standards. Our actions are measured against that standard. The decision to follow the standard or not is on man's part. God remains an impartial judge. Blessings to you.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Hi trettep,

I have noticed that when people believe in inherited sin, they will often quote the first part of the verse 12 in Romans 5. They almost always leave off the last phrase. Adam introduced covenant death into the world. The only covenant with God that provided the possibility of living forever. He introduced both physical death and spiritual death as a result of covenant transgression, and spiritual and eternal life as a result of obedience to the covenant renewal in Christ, for him, and those he fathered, and anyone who called upon the name of the lord. Those deaths have passed on to all men within and out of covenant, not because they are inherited from Adam, but because we all sin. Once again, the teaching in Romans 5:12 is the same as in James 1:14-15. Romans 5:13 says that death, physical death, existed before the law, however, the sin that is imputed resulting in death, did not exist. No law, no sin, still death, but no sin, since there was no law. Once the law came, to Adam, and he transgressed, death became the result of sin, for all men, even those outside of the tribe of Adam, like myself. Death became the punishment for sin, made by the example of Adam, even though it existed before void of sin's imputation.

The idea that children are born sinful I believe is a myth. A child begins life in this world in purity and innocence. When children are small, they have no knowledge of good or evil - Deuteronomy 1:39. A child must grow up in order to know to refuse evil and choose good - Isaiah 7:15-16. This is why Jesus said the kingdom of heaven is composed of people who are similar to little children - Mark 10:14. We have to become like children to enter the kingdom - Matthew 18:3. To enter the church, we must be cleansed of our sins, just as little children are without sin.

People are punished for their own sins - Colossians 3:25. God does not choose who is punished for sin or rewarded for righteous by the individual. Rather, the actions of each individual during his life determines whether he will be punished or rewarded. God set the standards. Our actions are measured against that standard. The decision to follow the standard or not is on man's part. God remains an impartial judge. Blessings to you.
Read it again, it says by ONE offence. That is Adam's offense. Were made sinners by that ONE offence. It doesn't matter if you believe that Children being born sinners is a myth. If you read the scriptures, there is no other reason for death except for sin. And therefore, the fact that babies die means they must have had sin. This confirms that fact that we of the body of Adam do indeed inherit his condemnation. And if we inherit his condemantion then we must also have attached the offence that goes with the condemnation - his sin.

See all in Adam die - because we all have his sin.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
A temper tantrum, screaming "no". I truly believe that if she'd had the strength to do so she'd have probably ripped my arm off and beaten me over the head with it.
And that was a "sin"? Wow. I suppose you're saying that was she was doing was disobeying the commandment to honor your father and mother. What I wonder, is did she know what it means to honor her father and mother? If she didn't, I'm not sure she could be expected to know what sorts of behavior would constitute not honoring them.

I've had two kids myself (I allowed both to reach adulthood ), and I don't believe a toddler's temper tantrum is a "sin." I believe it's typical toddler behavior, and that a child the age yours was when she threw that tantrum doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that throwing a temper tantrum is not honoring her father. Now if this had happened when your child was sixteen, I'd say it would be a different matter entirely. Sin requires intentionally or willfully breaking a religious law or moral principle. When a child is too young to understand the difference between right and wrong, he or she "sins" by doing what's wrong. At least that's now I see it, Theo.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-30-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,552 times
This is from Adam Clarke's commentary regarding Dr. Taylor's analysis of Romans 5:14:

Rom 5:14
Nevertheless, death reigned from Adam to Moses - This supposes, as Dr. Taylor very properly observes: -
1. That sin was in the world from Adam to Moses.
2. That law was not in the world from Adam to Moses during the space of about 2500 years; for, after Adam’s transgression, that law was abrogated; and, from that time, men were either under the general covenant of grace given to Adam or Noah, or under that which was specially made with Abraham.
3. That, therefore, the sins committed were not imputed unto them to death, for they did not sin after the similitude of Adam’s transgression; that is, they did not, like him, transgress a law, or rule of action, to which death, as the penalty, was annexed. And yet -
4. Death reigned over mankind during the period between Adam and Moses; therefore men did not die for their own transgressions, but in consequence of Adam’s one transgression.
-----------------------------------------------------

That is how I read those verses to mean as well.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
therefore men did not die for their own transgressions, but in consequence of Adam’s one transgression.
I would agree that we experience death because Adam's transgression caused him to be expelled from the Garden of Eden. At the time he was cast out, he became suseptible to disease, injury and death. In other words, he took on the characteristics we think of as mortal. Because we are his descendants, we, too, have those characteristics. We are also born with a mortal nature, which makes us inclined to sin. But because Jesus Christ atoned for Adam's sin, Adam was forgiven of that sin. If he was no longer considered to be guilty of it, he could not have passed it on to us.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times
Quote:
Nobody has to teach a baby how to throw temper tantrum.

As God revealed:
Genesis 6:5-7
The LORD saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.....

So the LORD said, “I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity