Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,443,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
But my question is which sin is the offence spoken of by which all were made sinners?
Which I must follow with an answer within a question...did Christ save the covenant that God promised man - i.e. living forever, disannul the covenant with death, or did he just save all men, apart from the covenant, the ignorant and unreconciled?

This is the crux of the entire redemptive scheme.
And it is precisely in direct correlation to the OP's opening question.

Was Adam forgiven for his sin that transgressed the covenant?

I believe Paul answered us in Acts 17:

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by [that] man whom he hath ordained; [whereof] he hath given assurance unto all [men], in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Many blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,511,180 times
Quote:
So if adams disobedience (which is sin) led to our mortality and you claim that is why babies die, then how is mortality any better than Adam's sin? Your just making a substitute.

That means if babies die it would still be because of Adam's sin and because that would make mortality a horrid thing.
trettep,
Don't you understand what Mormonism believes what the fall into sin really is ...

Katzpur said "Adam fell that men might be; men are that they might have joy."

From Gospel Princibles pgs 33-34
Some people believe Adam and Eve committed a serious sin when they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
However, latter-day scriptures help us understand that their fall was a necessary step in the plan of life and a great blessing to all of us.

Because of the Fall, we are blessed with physical bodies, the right to choose between good and evil, and the opportunity to gain eternal life. None of these privileges would have been ours had Adam and Eve remained in the garden.

After the Fall, Eve said, "Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed [children], and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient" (Moses 5:11).

The prophet Lehi explained: "And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen [been cut off from the presence of God], but he would have remained in the Garden of Eden.

And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; … "And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin. "But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:22-25).]

The fact is it was a good for Adam & Eve to sin otherwise:
  • they would have had no children;
  • they would have remained in a state of innocence
  • having no joy
  • for they knew no misery
  • doing no good, ......for they knew no sin
Kinda sheds a different light when you read why "Adam fell that men might be; men are that they might have joy."

Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,040,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Which I must follow with an answer within a question...did Christ save the covenant that God promised man - i.e. living forever, disannul the covenant with death, or did he just save all men, apart from the covenant, the ignorant and unreconciled?

This is the crux of the entire redemptive scheme.
And it is precisely in direct correlation to the OP's opening question.

Was Adam forgiven for his sin that transgressed the covenant?

I believe Paul answered us in Acts 17:

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by [that] man whom he hath ordained; [whereof] he hath given assurance unto all [men], in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Many blessings.
I don't follow how there was an answer in the question.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How nice, dramatic irony!

(This happens when a person responds, under their own false assumptions; and that of unconscious hypocrisy)
Your post once again is proving the point so nicely !!!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 PM

1,329 posts, read 833,872 times
People inherited Adam's fallen condition (including death) because they are descendents of Adam. But the idea anybody inherits Adam's guilt is Augustinian theology that not all Christians accept. Many Anglicans and Orthodox Christians do not accept this idea.

The trouble here is in penal substitutionary thinking, something not all Christians accept. Not all Christians believe Jesus died to pay a price to an angry God for Adam's sin, the aformentioned churches I mentioned generally don't accept that. Jesus pays the price in the sense that he becomes subject to the condition of being a sinner doomed to die, so that he could share something about God (grace, divine life etc.) that we otherwise lacked... not so God's justice could be satisfied through bloodlust. This all has to do with incarnational theology that sees the Cross as a mystical symbol of love, not as a legal transaction.

Last edited by DT113876; 12-03-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM

28,114 posts, read 30,027,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
trettep,
Don't you understand what Mormonism believes what the fall into sin really is ...

Katzpur said "Adam fell that men might be; men are that they might have joy."

From Gospel Princibles pgs 33-34
Some people believe Adam and Eve committed a serious sin when they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
However, latter-day scriptures help us understand that their fall was a necessary step in the plan of life and a great blessing to all of us.

Because of the Fall, we are blessed with physical bodies, the right to choose between good and evil, and the opportunity to gain eternal life. None of these privileges would have been ours had Adam and Eve remained in the garden.

After the Fall, Eve said, "Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed [children], and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient" (Moses 5:11).

The prophet Lehi explained: "And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen [been cut off from the presence of God], but he would have remained in the Garden of Eden.

And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; … "And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin. "But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:22-25).]

The fact is it was a good for Adam & Eve to sin otherwise:
  • they would have had no children;
  • they would have remained in a state of innocence
  • having no joy
  • for they knew no misery
  • doing no good, ......for they knew no sin
Kinda sheds a different light when you read why "Adam fell that men might be; men are that they might have joy."
Awesome post, twin.spin.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,443,179 times
Quote:
I don't follow how there was an answer in the question.
lol trettep! I mean I answered you with another question

Old 12-03-2011, 07:51 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,040,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
lol trettep! I mean I answered you with another question
Sorry sciotamicks. I still don't understand the answer. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just having a hard time following you on that.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 PM

461 posts, read 481,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've always thought that Jesus Christ's sacrifice atoned for Adam's sin. From what a lot of people here are saying, it sounds like they disagree with that belief. If Jesus didn't atone for Adam's sin, whose sins did it atone for?
The son of man gave and gives an example of how to atone for your own sins.

Scripture has it ;

"By your words you'll be forgiven or by your words you will be condemned."

"The man who wants to come to me will hear my words and put them into practice."

"My words are life to those who find them, to mans whole being they are health".

" Depart from evil, and do good; so you shall abide forever. For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his faithful ones. The righteous shall be kept safe forever, but the children of the wicked shall be cut off. The righteous shall inherit the land, and live in it forever. The just mans mouth speaks wisdom, and their tongues speak what is right. The law of their God is in their hearts; They will never stumble".

Wait for the Lord, and keep to his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land;

bk of Jn;
"All those who do right will rise to live, the evildoers will rise to be damned".

" I am the light of the world. No one who follows me will ever walk in darkness, cause he will possess the light of life. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where he is going.
Once you have the light, keep faith in the light, and you will become a child of light.
Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me,
and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.
I came into the world as its light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in the dark.
If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it.
Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words he already has his judge namely the words I‘ve spoken that’s what will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own, but the Lord who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.
And since I know that his commandment means eternal life, what I say is spoken just as he instructed me".

Do what is right and declare the good news of the kingdom of God. Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it.Blessed is he who finds no stumbling block in me.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM

28,114 posts, read 30,027,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princely View Post
The son of man gave and gives an example of how to atone for your own sins.
Interesting perspective. I definitely agree that we are responsible to repent of our sins and to live the best way we know how. I believe that God expects 100% from us. Unfortunately, 100% from the best of us is insufficient to gain us eternal life in God's presence. I don't think Jesus was saying we could make it on our own, and I have a feeling you weren't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity