Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM

155 posts, read 164,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Have you considered writing shorter posts and remaining on topic?

BTW. Jesus didn't rise to paradise until after his Resurrection. So " He told the thief on His right side at the cruxfiction. So

"Today surley I will see you in Paridise" evidently didn't happen, did it?
Well now,

I guess for you, I'd go with Romans 11 look for the Spirit of slumber.
Should read spirit of stuper.

But anyway in my last post I told you of our Fathers 7 thousand year plan, but stated Six thousand years of it. Dont worrie youll get taught the truth. Our Fathers gonna open them books across a table from you and ask ya how did that work for ya for a tousand years. Amen

Now because your unskilled in scripture, dont call Jesus a lier.
Because Ill asure you from scripture those three days in the tome He went to the left side of Paridise and teached the Old Testment folks ( spiritauly dead)

Good luck
With finding your way

Ibe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,838,579 times
CORRECTION:

Jesus's words are not in error. It is our attempts to reduce His words to fit our preconceived beliefs about what may or may not happen in the future that are in error. But that doesn't stop people from trying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_disappointment

Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 AM

698 posts, read 649,094 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

What relevamce does that have? And please cite your reference.

Generations in Matthew's time were measured just like today's.

For example:

Matthew 1:17 "Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah."

Perhaps you should do a search of the New Testament to see how many time the word generation is used and if has any different meanings.

Matthew's "This generation" = Mark's "some standing here." = Paul's "we who are still alive"
Here’s an excerpt from the Anchor Bible commentary series regarding the term “this generation” in Matthew 24:34:

Quote:
36. Cf. 24:34; the "coming" of The Man to the Father will certainly happen in this generation, when The Man is exalted in the glory of his passion-resurrection. The coming sufferings Jesus sees as judgment upon official Judaism for its refusal of him and his ministry.

... generation (Greek genea). This word may certainly mean "lifetime," and not simply "generation" in our sense of the term [...]. There is the same fluctuation of meaning in Biblical Hebrew dōr and Syriac dārā. — W. F. Albright and C. S. Mann, Matthew (The Anchor Bible).

I discovered in the 1980s, while surveying all the occurrences of genea in the Greek OT, the fact, noted above by Albright and Mann, that in the New Testament as well as the Old Testament "there is the same fluctuation of meaning" in the usage of the Greek word genea as in the usage of the Hebrew word dōr — the former being the rendering of the latter throughout the Greek version of the OT.

The sense of genea in Matthew as well as throughout the Greek OT is that of dōr ([hebrew]DWR[/hebrew]), which is defined in A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament, edited by William L. Holladay, thus:
[hebrew]DWR[/hebrew] — circuit, lifetime, generation (from a man's birth to the birth of his first son; the totality of (adult) contemporaries; a time with its noteworthy events and people).
It should be emphasized that the proper conclusion (interpretation of the meaning) of "generation" (genea) in each NT use depends on the context.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM

27 posts, read 29,746 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

He said "this generation" and "some of those standing here will not taste death..etc. The same thing. He also told the high priest he would witness Jesus return on the clouds, and the apostles that they could not visit all the towns in Isreal before his return.

Paul in 1 Thes 4 said that Jesus told him those who are still alive (had not yet died) would be caught up in the clouds to be with him.

But, at least as of this morning, none of this has happened.

Can you ignore all of Jesus' different prophecies saying the same thing?
You are talking about two entirely different events. There is nothing in Matt 24 that is in any way connected to 1Thes 4. Jesus prophesy did not fail. You simply do not understand the nature of his prophesy.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,517,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

And the time frame of Revelation was Not for the first century but future for our day or time frame. - Rev. 1 v 10.
That must have sucked then for all those people centuries past when they figured it out after they died that Rev was only for those special Millennialists of "our day or time frame" with their ability to read headlines news and fit Rev to it.

whew .... am I sure glad that 21 century Millennialists are on the scene, otherwise we might never have known what Rev was for.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,729,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeWishing View Post
Well now,

I guess for you, I'd go with Romans 11 look for the Spirit of slumber.
Should read spirit of stuper.

But anyway in my last post I told you of our Fathers 7 thousand year plan, but stated Six thousand years of it. Dont worrie youll get taught the truth. Our Fathers gonna open them books across a table from you and ask ya how did that work for ya for a tousand years. Amen

Now because your unskilled in scripture, dont call Jesus a lier.
Because Ill asure you from scripture those three days in the tome He went to the left side of Paridise and teached the Old Testment folks ( spiritauly dead)

Good luck
With finding your way

Ibe
RESPONSE:
Let's try this one more time. I never said Jesus was a liar or even that he really said the word attributed to him 30 to 60 years after his death.

And I've already found "my way>' It's to separate historical fact from folklore and legend based on the evidence and the plain meaning of words,

I have found the truth "and the truth has made me free." (St. John's Gospel)

Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM

796 posts, read 860,129 times
The key to understanding what Jesus means is the context; that is, we must understand the verses that are surrounding verse 34, but especially the verses prior to it. In Matthew 24:4-31, Jesus is speaking of future events. The generation of people living when those events occur is the generation that Jesus speaks of "not passing" until He returns.

Read more: What did Jesus mean when He said, "this generation will not pass"?

This is very simple and those who have the Holy Spirit can understand it. Those not His do not have the capability to understand. Hence why some think there is an error here.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 AM

698 posts, read 649,094 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

>>This generation obviously means the New Testament era.<<

No.

This generation "obviously means" this generation.

This - : the person, thing, or idea that is present or near in place, time, or thought or that has just been mentioned

Generation - : a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously.

But Matthew (or Jesus) was in error. End times did not occur in Jesus' generation.
Ancient I agree that the expression “this generation” applies to Jesus’ contemporaries. But why do you assume Jesus was predicting his generation would experience the "end of the world"?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,997,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
Ancient I agree that the expression “this generation” applies to Jesus’ contemporaries. But why do you assume Jesus was predicting his generation would experience the "end of the world"?
Although not Ancient, if I may take the liberty to say:

First of all, end of world, and end of earth, are two different things.
Ecclesiastes 1 v 4 b states that the earth will exist forever. It is the world of badness that will come to an end.

In the first century, it was the end or last days of that corrupted Jewish system of things.
Jesus foretold that Jerusalem and its temple [ house of worship] would be abandoned by God.- Matthew 23 v 36,38
That system [ generation ] ended when the Roman armies destroyed Jerusalem in the year 70.

Jesus prophecy of Matthew 24 and Luke 21 have both a minor fulfillment in the year 70, and a MAJOR fulfillment to come. Come at the ' harvest time ' or the coming ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25 vs 31,32 when the genuine 'wheat/ sheep' Christians will be separated from the fake 'weed/tares/ goats'.

Revelation is a revealing. A revealing of the future in our day or time frame- Rev. 1 v 10.

The words from Jesus' mouth will be like a sharp executioner's sword and rid the earth of all wickedness [ end of this present-day world of badness ] see: Isaiah 11 vs 3,4; Rev. 19 vs 11,15
Then, Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill before the start of Jesus messianic 1000-year reign over Earth or earthly subjects of God's kingdom.- Psalm 72 vs 8,12-14.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,997,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
The key to understanding what Jesus means is the context; that is, we must understand the verses that are surrounding verse 34, but especially the verses prior to it. In Matthew 24:4-31, Jesus is speaking of future events. The generation of people living when those events occur is the generation that Jesus speaks of "not passing" until He returns.
Your ^ above ^ post reminded me of Jesus illustration at Luke 19 vs 11 -15 that the kingdom would Not instantly or immediately appear back then. Jesus as the nobleman would first go away to a far country [ heaven ] before he would return in kingdom glory. [ Matthew 25 vs 31,32 ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity