Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM

555 posts, read 458,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
None of that barrage of text has anything to do with the fact that Jesus was telling the people not to look up to authority figures. Predictable.
True. But it does address the lame "Call No Man Father" attack which is busted, and now you know it.

As for looking up to authority figures:

Hebrews 13:17
New International Version (NIV)
17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.

Another feeble attack on the Church swept aside by the Word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post

I'm more about presenting the teachings of the Church as clearly as I can than I am about naming names.
Well, so far I haven't read one thing you've written that, were I in search of a faith, would make me want to visit a Catholic church.

I've read a lot of authoritarian statements. I've seen you dissing people you don't like: liberal priests and nuns, hippies, feminists. (A big turn-off to the hippies and feminists. One can only imagine how the priests and nuns, who have dedicated their lives to the Church, feel about it.) I've discerned that you think you've got all the answers for everyone else. (I wouldn't count on that if I were you.) You can present the teachings of your Church until they put you in the ground but so can the fundamentalists. I don't believe Jesus hung on the Cross in agony for three hours so everyone could lecture each other on what denomination is best. Or right. But that's just me.

BTW: Most of those liberal priests and nuns do a bang-up job of serving the poor and teaching peace. Two things Jesus was interested in.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-22-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Quote:
True. But it does address the lame "Call No Man Father" attack which is busted, and now you know it.

As for looking up to authority figures:

Hebrews 13:17
New International Version (NIV)
17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.

Another feeble attack on the Church swept aside by the Word of God.
The same word translated "submit" is used in the injunction to memebers of the body to "submit yourselves one to another," so clearly it does not mean "subject" in the sense of kow tow or anything approaching it. "Give respect to" would be a more appropriate rendering of the meaning.

Another attempt to justify the power grab of controllers in the church swept aside by understanding what is said in the bible.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, so far I haven't read one thing you've written that, were I in search of a faith, would make me want to visit a Catholic church.
I don't recall anyone asking me that.

Quote:
I've read a lot of authoritarian statements.
They are authoritative, not authoritarian. I know what I'm talking about (when I don't I will say so).

Quote:
I've seen you dissing people you don't like: liberal priests and nuns, hippies, feminists. (A big turn-off to the hippies and feminists. One can only imagine how the priests and nuns feel about it.)
Those are labels for mindsets. Conservative, liberal, radical, new agers - we use these shorthand terms every day, don't we? I haven't attacked or abused a single specific individual on this forum, have I? Oh, except Martin Luther once.

Quote:
I've discerned that you think you've got all the answers for everyone else. (I wouldn't count on that if I were you.)
I don't. I think I have a LOT of the answers. God has them all. For everyone else? Well....people need to read my posts for themselves and decide if what I'm saying makes sense.

Quote:
You can present the teachings of your Church until they put you in the ground but so can the fundamentalists.
Agreed. However, sometimes the stronger argument convinces. That's why so many evangelical pastors are converting to Catholicism. Conversely, it's also why so many lukewarm Catholics leave - but soon, someone will be accusing me of using the "True Scot Fallacy". It's not a fallacy if it's true, but I'll just move on.

Quote:
I don't believe Jesus hung on the Cross in agony for three hours so everyone could lecture each other on what denomination is best. But that's just me.
And I agree. Jesus promised to build ONE Church. Men built a lot more later. That's kinda my whole point.

Quote:
BTW: Most of those liberal priests and nuns do a bang-up job of serving the poor and teaching peace. Two things Jesus was interested in.
Agreed. And as long as they are doing those things for the right reasons, then it's all good. But if social justice is ALL they are about, then they have missed the Gospel.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The same word translated "submit" is used in the injunction to memebers of the body to "submit yourselves one to another," so clearly it does not mean "subject" in the sense of kow tow or anything approaching it. "Give respect to" would be a more appropriate rendering of the meaning.

Another attempt to justify the power grab of controllers in the church swept aside by understanding what is said in the bible.

Are ALL church leaders power grabbers? Or just those in the Catholic Church?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Quote:
Are ALL church leaders power grabbers? Or just those in the Catholic Church?

Thanks.
Pretty much any who resort to titles of position are at least suspect.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:

Oh, except Martin Luther once.
Which probably lost you a ton of warm feelings from the Lutherans. And it proves, once again, that many Christians excel at attacking one another's beliefs.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 843,664 times
If some continue to refer to Christians who reject the Roman church as Protestants I reserve the right to us a similar name in regard to the papist. We shall not have a double standard on this forum.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Which probably lost you a ton of warm feelings from the Lutherans. And it proves, once again, that many Christians excel at attacking one another's beliefs.
I have had LOOOOOONG discussions with Lutherans on my home board, and we have much more in common than is generally understood.

Honest Lutherans are not afraid to admit that he had some issues, and honest Catholics are not afraid to admit that he got some things right.

That's what the Lutheran-Catholic dialogues have been concluding any way.

Sorry to disappoint, but your last few posts seem to indicate that you want to paint me into a corner...far more divisive than I have been.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:14 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,379,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
If some continue to refer to Christians who reject the Roman church as Protestants I reserve the right to us a similar name in regard to the papist. We shall not have a double standard on this forum.
Actually those that reject the Catholic CHurch are simply known as Anti Catholics.

Quote:
The Protestant Reformation was the schism within Western Christianity initiated by Martin Luther, John Calvin, and other early Protestants. Although there had been significant attempts at reform before Luther (notably those of John Wycliffe and Jan Huss), the date most usually given for the start of the Protestant Reformation is 1517

If you don't consider yourself a reformer, that is fine. I think you are mostly independent Sola Scriptura, so I can see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity