Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post
No problem.

I asked because it makes it easier to respond when I know what cultural references I can use to save typing time.
I'm very well versed in Catholic cultural references. As I am with fundamentalist, Mormon, Hare Krishna and beliefs that sprang up in the 60's when everyone was smoking unusual herbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM

555 posts, read 458,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm very well versed in Catholic cultural references. As I am with fundamentalist, Mormon, Hare Krishna and beliefs that sprang up in the 60's when everyone was smoking unusual herbs.
So, I can use older cultural references to TV shows and music that the younger posters won't get.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 AM

64,026 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is nothing in your article that refutes what I said above . . . nothing. So what is it that you THINK refutes Christ's rejection of hierarchy??? Is a nurse or babysitter EVER made the one and only leader of those you ask them to take care of? "He who would be first . . . will be last among you." It doesn't get any clearer than that. Humbling Himself by washing the feet of His disciples was NOT to institute a magic ritual for appointing a Pope or the one who would be first!!!
Quote:
Ooh, multiple question marks and exclamation points. We've struck a nerve.
Unfortunately there is no "astonishment" mark to indicate absolute perversity.
Quote:
You, because the historical fact is that the Cathtolic Church has recognized Peter and his successors as the head of the universal church since apostolic days, so, if you want to deny that this is the case, by all means -
PROVE IT.
You have not refuted anything. I did not say the RCC rejected hierarchy. I said Jesus did and demonstrated it for our ignorant ancestors to drive the point home. Perversely . . . (you DO know what that means, right?) . . . the RCC interpreted it as the ritual for inducting the Pope.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Don't even use the "call no man Father" verse, they don't believe that either. Seriously, it is painfully obvious from many references that each person is responsible for his own relationship with God and that any supervising done by the body of elders was not by any means as the kind of authority that dictates behavior, but none of that will make an impression. As I have pointed out in other areas, truth is not in question, only doctrine.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
So, I can use older cultural references to TV shows and music that the younger posters won't get.
Will you be using them to bash the liberal Catholics you don't agree with?

That should be entertaining.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I said Jesus did and demonstrated it for our ignorant ancestors to drive the point home. Perversely . . . (you DO know what that means, right?) . . . the RCC interpreted it as the ritual for inducting the Pope.
Right.

Tell me, are there any examples of leaders (thus hierarchy) in the NT church?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Don't even use the "call no man Father" verse, they don't believe that either. Seriously, it is painfully obvious from many references that each person is responsible for his own relationship with God and that any supervising done by the body of elders was not by any means as the kind of authority that dictates behavior, but none of that will make an impression. As I have pointed out in other areas, truth is not in question, only doctrine.
It's just too easy...predictable...but easy.

Call No Man Father - A Protestant Myth Busted

Argument from History

First, some background: In Jesus time, there were a number of Jewish sects: the Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, and Zealots. These sects had schools or houses of teaching within them. Within the Pharisees there were two famous rival houses. They were the House of Shammai and the House of Hillel. The individuals that these houses were named after were considered the "father" of the house.

Jesus warns the apostles not to be fathers to "separate" houses—for there is but one house of the Lord. Jesus also says to call no man "teacher" or "master." This is interesting because the Apostle Paul was taught by Gamaliel (cf. Acts 22:3), a Pharisee from the House of Hillel. Gamaliel, the grandson of Hillel, was known as an elder and had the title of "Rabban" which means "Our Master." This title explains why Jesus also said call no one "master"; there is but one house and one master of all. Jesus prayed for unity (cf. John 17) and did not want the apostles to set up separate houses or schools of thought.

This is clearly expressed in Paul's complaint in 1 Corinthians 1:10-15 when he describes how some are arguing their superiority after being baptized by, and belonging to, Paul or Apollos, or Cephas, etc. Paul goes on elsewhere to warn against factions and divisions and stresses the importance of one mind and unity of doctrine.

The meaning of "call no man father, teacher, or master" concerns unity and consistency of doctrine and has nothing to do with the commonly used references that are seen elsewhere in scripture or everyday use.

Argument from Logic

If we followed the "Call No Man Father" prohibition literally, then no human on earth would have that title, and we would have lost the feel for the meaning of fatherhood since the word would have been expunged from our vocabulary and our conscience.

Think not? Consider how the trappings of European royalty have no meaning for Americans, and I think you'll get some sense of how this happens.

Now, if we had no understanding of what it means to have or to be a human father, the "Fatherhood' of God as revealed to us by Him would be completely sterile.

Argument from Scripture

Jesus Violates This Command

Luke 16:24
24So he called to him, “Father (Gr. pater) Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.”

Jesus tells a parable in which He has one of the characters speak to “Father Abraham” which would obviously be a bad example for His audience. Does Jesus contradict Himself?

Paul Violates This Command

Romans 4:1-18
1What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter?

In this passage, Paul refers to Abraham as a spiritual father eight times. This is a terrible precedent to establish if Jesus has prohibited us from using the term “father.”

1 Corinthians 4:14-15
14I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as my dear children. 15Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers (Gr. pateras), for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

In this passage, Paul refers to himself as the spiritual father of the Corinthians. This is a terrible precedent to establish if Jesus has prohibited us from using the term “father.”

Ephesians 4:11-13
11It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers (Gr. didaskalovs), 12to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, says that God has established some people as “teachers” in the Church; this appears to be a direct violation of Jesus’ prohibition against calling anyone “teacher”. Does God contradict Himself?

James Violates This Command

James 3:1
1Not many of you should presume to be teachers (Gr. didaskaloi), my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

James, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, says that not many believers should presume to be “teachers.” This implies that a few (though not many) should and would rightfully have that position. Does God contradict Himself?

James 2:21
21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

James, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, refers to the spiritual fatherhood of Abraham. This is a terrible precedent to establish if Jesus has prohibited us from using the term “father.”

Stephen Violates This Command

Acts 7:2
2To this he replied: "Brothers and fathers, listen to me!

Hope this helps!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM

There is a world of difference between a leader and a ruler (hierarchy)

Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
It's just too easy...predictable...but easy.

Hope this helps!
None of that barrage of text has anything to do with the fact that Jesus was telling the people not to look up to authority figures. Predictable.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Will you be using them to bash the liberal Catholics you don't agree with?

That should be entertaining.
You mean the liberal Catholics who don't agree with the Church, don't you?

I'm more about presenting the teachings of the Church as clearly as I can than I am about naming names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity