Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,479,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But if Mary had other children why did Jesus have to tell John to take Mary in after He died? Women needed a man for protection in those days----sorry feminists---it was a different time. If Mary had other children there would be no question on who would be her family after Jesus died.
None of the children were believers then, so Jesus wanted his mother cared for ny a believer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Ok then. Let me know when you are ready to start stoning non-virgins on their wedding night.
Gotta learn the Scriptures. That ended with the old Law.

Now was it Ok for good Christians to kill men women and children, knowlingly in the firs bombing of Dresden and Cologne in WWII?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
None of the children were believers then, so Jesus wanted his mother cared for ny a believer.
Which Bible verse states that?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:27 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,459,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Gotta learn the Scriptures. That ended with the old Law.

Now was it Ok for good Christians to kill men women and children, knowlingly in the firs bombing of Dresden and Cologne in WWII?
Nope, sorry. You can't have it both ways.

As for the other, I'm not for anyone killing anyone.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Honestly, we don't know why. I've seen speculation that Jesus was not on the best of terms with his siblings for remarks such as these, Matt.12:46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you." 48 He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Is there any credence to this line of thinking? Who knows. Some have suggested Jesus felt Mary would get better care from one of his disciples than from a doubting relative.

The argument whether Jesus had full siblings has been going on at least since the fourth century when according to this US Catholic article which you should trust, Did Jesus have brothers and sisters?

To me it's not a make all break all discussion topic, though obviously for some, based on the number of comments this thread has generated, it is.

You just gave the best argument of Mary's virginity and not having other children. How could she put other children before Jesus when he was God, plus we see in the bible how siblings would squabble for wanting to be the favored one or the one in first place. I don't believe God would set Jesus' family up like this, not when Jesus came to earth to die for mankind.

Jesus came to earth to accomplish a very important task and Mary was His mother to help Him do that, not to be caring for other children and their wants and needs. And it would not make any difference who Jesus thought His mother should go live with, if there were siblings she would live with them, it was the custom of the time, no questions asked.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You just gave the best argument of Mary's virginity and not having other children. How could she put other children before Jesus when he was God, plus we see in the bible how siblings would squabble for wanting to be the favored one or the one in first place. I don't believe God would set Jesus' family up like this, not when Jesus came to earth to die for mankind.
That is your reasoning but it is not based on Scripture/ We know from Scripture she actually sided with her children at one time against Jesus.

Quote:
Jesus came to earth to accomplish a very important task and Mary was His mother to help Him do that, not to be caring for other children and their wants and needs. And it would not make any difference who Jesus thought His mother should go live with, if there were siblings she would live with them, it was the custom of the time, no questions asked.
Mary was not a helper, the 12 Apostles were. He wanted a believer, John , to care for his mother, not his unbelieving siblings.

KJV John 7:5 For neither did his brethren believe in him.

NIV John 7:5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Which Bible verse states that?
NIV John 7:5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,156 times
LOL, I can't imagine Mary taking anyone's side but the God/man Jesus. She wasn't stupid.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,167,362 times
Catholicism Doctrine, are we wrong for speaking against alot of it?

The Good Friday argument brings this topic top mind as there was no way to prove with scriptures about a Friday death and Sunday sunrise resurrection.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM

555 posts, read 458,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Does the bible command us to have a Pope?
No. "Pope" is just a title from a language unknown in first century Palestine. However, the Lord Jesus did establish one apostle as the leader of the others.

Quote:
Does the bible speak against graven images?
Yes. Catholics reject them, too. But if you mean statues, then there is no prohibition against them.

Quote:
Does the bible speak against idolatry and bowing to statues?
Idolatry? Yes. Worshiping statues or graven images of false gods? Yes. Bowing in front of a statue as an act of honor or reverence for the person depicted by the statue. No.

Quote:
Doesnt the bible say only God(YHWH) can forgive sins?
No.

Quote:
Doesnt the bible say to only pray to the Father, NOT Mary?
No. Conversely, does the Bible say that Christians cannot talk to one another?

Quote:
Does the bible speak against substituting what God commands and replacing it with human traditions?
Yes. But then, not all tradition is bad, is it?

2 Thessalonians 2:15
So then, brothers and sisters,[a] stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.

Quote:
Again this is not a Catholic basing, but to really question is Catholicism (mainly RCC) following and teaching what the bible commands or making up its own rules.
Right. That's all it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity