Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,377,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Actually I do understand. I've seen cherished beliefs of my own and others mocked and belittled and I am not trying to do that here. As long as you understand why Protestantism and other non-Catholic denominations object to the whole business of Mary and saints, nothing more needs to be said on the matter. We don't have to agree to understand one another.

I suppose I would make a lousy Protestant. I do not believe in Sola Scriptura nor do I believe that the Bible is complete nor flawless. I am more Restorationist in my thinking. I believe that God can and does still speak for himself today. I believe that the whole point of the Bible and any Christian religion is to get us to speak and interact directly with God himself.

I do have the utmost respect for Catholicism. As stated before, one of the biggest reasons that all other Christian religions focus on attacking and disproving the RCC is because it is the only way to validate their own religion's existence. I do not believe that Catholicism represents God's Church and Kingdom on Earth. At the same time, I admire the RCC for holding the line on issues of sin and morality. Things like abortion and homosexuality where humanity seems to be losing its moral compass. Countless good Christian Catholics lead the way on fighting hunger, sickness and countless other terrible things. The RCC of today is an exemplary Christian religion on nearly every issue. This is the stuff that matters most. Doctrinally, we will just have to agree to disagree. The only reason I was commenting on the matter was to clarify why we disagree on one specific doctrinal matter.
Nothing wrong with your post. I want to add that religion is just religion and the CC got there first. I don't believe any religion is better or worse than others. However, I think the history and traditions are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 833,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Speak for yourself. I pray the rosary and as a matter of fact I have a 3 ft. statue of Mary in my living room. In no way am I ashamed of it and I won't let any Protestant who does not understand or Catholic that does not join in, make me ashamed.

As one can see there are differences in thinking of these things with Catholics. Really doesn't bother me though since we are all free to worship as we please.
You say, you are free to worship as you please. Catholics always say they do not worship Mary, do you kneel before the statue? Would that be worship, you feel free to do? You have not to tell, but it would be interesting. It seems there are different rosary. You could give us the text, what you pray, I think praying to the statue of Mary.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
You say, you are free to worship as you please. Catholics always say they do not worship Mary, do you kneel before the statue? Would that be worship, you feel free to do? You have not to tell, but it would be interesting. It seems there are different rosary. You could give us the text, what you pray, I think praying to the statue of Mary.
God knows her heart. She is not a pagan.

Do you think God is jealous or petty?

THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think
: think:

Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 AM

668 posts, read 692,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think THINK Think
Let's let God answer that question:

Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

That sum's it up pretty well, don't you think?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times
Quote:
I am Catholic. I never pray to Saints or the virgin. This is blown out of proportion by Protestants. Does it happen? Sure! It is part of our cultural heritage and traditions. When I visited the San Juan Capistrano Mission in Orange County, California there is a statue of a Saint Peregrine who was supposedly cured from cancer in the 13th century. There is a book and people leave petitions because for some reason he is known as the patron saint of cancer patients. In the old days people used to leave petitions to the saint. Who cares!! This is just harmless cultural catholicism which was more prevalent in antiquity.
It's very prevalent in Catholic churches in Southern California. It's a part of Hispanic Catholic traditions. It's not uncommon for churches in So Cal to have a room or area that has many statues of saints and Mary. People bring them from their home for display in the church. Sometimes you see a statue that is hundreds of years old.

People often bring flowers from their gardens to decorate the area. They leave petitions. The room can be filled with candles and old women in mantillas praying.

It's actually a beautiful thing to witness. Their faith is palpable.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
Good grief, I'm not even Catholic but reading through this thread makes me feel defensive of their faith.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's very prevalent in Catholic churches in Southern California. It's a part of Hispanic Catholic traditions. It's not uncommon for churches in So Cal to have a room or area that has many statues of saints and Mary. People bring them from their home for display in the church. Sometimes you see a statue that is hundreds of years old.

People often bring flowers from their gardens to decorate the area. They leave petitions. The room can be filled with candles and old women in mantillas praying.

It's actually a beautiful thing to witness. Their faith is palpable.
Exactly, it is a cultural thing. For example in Poland, the heartland of European Catholicism the virgin is important. Lech Walesa always had a pin of the virgin with him.

The Virgin Mary is supposed to have saved Poland in two moments of peril: in 1655 against marauding Swedes and in 1920, when the Soviet Red Army cavalry tried to attack the country. Polish Pope John Paul had a lot of devotion for the Virgin.

If you are not Catholic and Polish you will never get it. Interestingly the Polish madonna is a black woman.

Our Lady of Guadalupe, Spanish Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, also called the Virgin of Guadalupe, in Roman Catholicism, the Virgin Mary in her appearance before Juan Diego in a vision in 1531. The name also refers to the Marian apparition itself. Our Lady of Guadalupe holds a special place in the religious life of Mexico and is one of the most popular religious devotions. Her image has played an important role as a national symbol of Mexico.

You have to be Mexican to appreciate this.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 833,514 times
Quote:

Julian, God gave me the gift of discernment. But the Devil got me nevertheless. But I think I am out of it. It is not Christian or pagan, not black or white. Most Christians are anyway a mixture.
There are only few Christians that are clean, but there are Christians that are fallen. Most of them do not know. The problem is we cannot see how is our spiritual state is. Did you ever hear God`s voice? I do not think so. I have heard such voice as "You are proud" "You need patience"
"Leave that place immediately". If I would not respond, may be I would not be alive.
It is written that God is jealous, especially in connection with idolatry. We have to give Him the first place in our live. He is worthy. I never think who God is, that would mean I reduce Him to human level and error is programed. What is written I believe, but we do not know all.
God wants a relationship. If you had a relationship with your wife as you have with God, visiting her once a week and speaking to her from a book always the same. Think about it!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good grief, I'm not even Catholic but reading through this thread makes me feel defensive of their faith.
If you are not Catholic you will never get it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times
Quote:

Our Lady of Guadalupe, Spanish Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, also called the Virgin of Guadalupe, in Roman Catholicism, the Virgin Mary in her appearance before Juan Diego in a vision in 1531. The name also refers to the Marian apparition itself. Our Lady of Guadalupe holds a special place in the religious life of Mexico and is one of the most popular religious devotions. Her image has played an important role as a national symbol of Mexico.

You have to be Mexican to appreciate this.
Or appreciate Mexican culture. The Virgin of Guadalupe is very familiar to people who live in the Southwest. She is in many homes, gardens, restaurants and businesses. Of course Southern Californians are also accustomed to seeing a small Buddhist shrine in their favorite Asian (or hippie health food) restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity