Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
So unless they can provide scriptures not blown out of context to prove that the basic questions I asked are legit and that Catholicism doesnt follow the bible but rather its own teachings, they need to be real with themselves and face that some of the stuff they are doing IS NOT biblical and is at times is idolatry.
So, you are obviously unwilling to accept the fact that others don't share the same believes you have and are trying to convince them that they are wrong... Fine with me, I really don't care enough about religion to get worked up on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. Lol, You may be able to boss each other around. You don't get to boss everyone else.

Though it is entertaining whenever you try to control even the emotions of non-fundamentalists. A little weird but entertaining none the less.
Im not bossing anyone around, just stating and providing clear biblical facts with many scriptures to back it. I dont blow any scripture out of context to prove a pope or much of the the other false teaching Catholicism does that is not backed by the bible.

But im done here. The bible has spoken for itself.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This post is like a critique to a Rolls Royce because there is a bit of mud on the tires. The same old tired regurgitation of anti-catholicism from someone that knows nothing about the Church.

The Catechism of the Church clearly accepts ALL CHRISTIANS. But, these folks cite the Church of the past.

They ignore Matthew 16:18-19.

Mary is not God. No one has to pray to Mary. People simply ask Mary to pray for us. This is simply an ancient tradition.

The Pope is as fallible as any other man. THis is the other misinformation they pass. The Pope has to speak from the Chair of Peter on Moral issues to be considered infallible. The Pope has issued statements from the chair of Peter only two times during the entire history of Christianity.

The problem is that we have anti-catholics obtaining their information from the hateful words of their preachers. And we know quite well many of these preachers are uneducated.
I know my bible, that is the truth, so I can easily discern falsehood. But I made a study about anathema of the CC. I knew already that over 100 anathemas of the council of Trent are reaffirmed by Vatican II, which not only condemns me but all Christians outside the CC in one or the other way by not believing the doctrine of the CC. Your claim that is the church of the past, makes me think, if your claim to be the true church now was false in the past?
But the CC is worst than I thought, she also condemns you and many faithful Catholics to eternal hell. You have to believe every dogma of the church or you are anathema. You say they are from the Middle Ages and not value. But not only the Pope when he speaks from the chair of Peter is infallible, also the bishops in a canon are infallible and their anathema stands till today. The CC cannot and will not cancel them. This has spiritual consequences, it can cost your life.
The two ex cathedra you mentioned are recently spoken and are not about moral, but about faith about Mary. The Assumption of Mary and her perpetual virginity are not in the bible, but has to be believed by Catholics or they are anathema. The same is with the infallibility of the Pope. It does not matter how often he speaks. There is no list. But I am sure the Pope has spoken more than two times in history and it cannot be canceled. It is the claim that a human in certain circumstances speaks infallible, on the other hand you claim that the bible is written by man and has errors and has very little value in your eyes.
Anyone can make a study what is said in Vatican II about Mary and what the church taught about Mary, it is totally different what you say.
Mat 16:18+19 should be dealt with in a new thread. From the Greek the rock is not Peter but Christ and Peter was not the head of the church in Jerusalem. The Lord commanded him not to go to Rom, surely a way of the Gentiles. He was an elder under elder and sent out and had a wife, was rebuked by Paul, looks different than the Pope of today.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So, you are obviously unwilling to accept the fact that others don't share the same believes you have and are trying to convince them that they are wrong... Fine with me, I really don't care enough about religion to get worked up on that...
Convince vs correct is 2 different things.

Sample verses of what the bible says about correcting errors and teaching that go against the word of God.

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

1 Timothy 5:20
As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.

Ephesians 6:17
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,

2 Peter 2:1
But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.

2 Corinthians 10:5
We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

The fact you really don't care enough about religion to get worked up on that, is why you are defending the error of their doctrine because you don't know the truth of what God commands of his people. Im not trying to be disrespectful or rude to you, but honestly if you don't care on a subject your not going to try to look up the issue at hand and find out the truth about it.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:09 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Im not bossing anyone around, just stating and providing clear biblical facts with many scriptures to back it. I dont blow any scripture out of context to prove a pope or much of the the other false teaching Catholicism does that is not backed by the bible.

But im done here. The bible has spoken for itself.

Here is the problem:

You and many others show clear anti-catholicism which is different than having an honest question about an issue. But, no big deal, we catholics are used to this sort of diatribe.

Let me look at your concerns once again. I think I finally understand why you are upset.

Quote:
Does the bible command us to have a Pope?
Carefully read Matthew 16:18-19. The term Pope did not exist in biblical times. In fact the Jews did not use the terms minister or preacher. Jesus was a rabbi. Shortly after the departure of Jesus the church needed a hierarchy. Unfortunately all institutions need leaders.

The term does not need to be biblical. It is a title, no different that Doctor, Rabbi, Minister, Preacher, President, etc. No one claims the term Pope is biblical. The the term is sImply the title of the Bishop of ROME.

Some of our older senior priests have other titles: Monsignor, pl. monsignori, is the form of address for those members of the clergy of the Catholic Church holding certain ecclesiastical honorific titles. Others are Cardinals. This is not biblical and it is simply church hierarchy. In biblical times the Apostles had rank over the Bishops.

Quote:
Does the bible speak against graven images?
The churches honors men and women that lived like Jesus. We honor them with statues and name. We name churches after them. Catholics know these men and women are not deities. Less educated people sometimes pray to the saints asking for intersession. No big deal, God knows their heart. Watch this video and get back to me. I think you are an intelligent young man and will get it.

Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? - YouTube

Quote:
Does the bible speak against idolatry and bowing to statues?
We bow a lot during mass. I genuflect all the time when I come to church. This is a cultural issue. This is the cultural values of Catholics. Just like non-gay Muslim men that kiss each other as a greeting. This is culture and tradition with a little "t". This is the way we do things. Being biblical or not is moot. We do it as a sign of reverence.

Quote:
Doesnt the bible say only God(YHWH) can forgive sins?
Wrong again! I feel bad about this. Everybody knows we catholics are not good at quoting the Bible. The guys that have memorized the Bible are folks like you. Did you forget this verses? Make sure to read the bold part:

John 20:19-23
English Standard Version (ESV)
Jesus Appears to the Disciples

19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews,[a] Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.†20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.†22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.â€

I will admit I get a bit of pride in quoting the bible to a fundamentalist.

Quote:
Doesnt the bible say to only pray to the Father, NOT Mary?
See the video again and memorize it. You are finally getting the truth about Catholicism.

Does the bible speak against substituting what God commands and replacing it with human traditions?

I have to say that the questions about the pastries and the feet were amusing. I know catholicism quite well and never heard about it. Or perhaps I should say those things have never been mentioned in mass.

I hope this info helps you become more enlightened.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 PM

It has been proven many times that 16:18-19 is not stating that Peter is the Pope, but that Jesus Christ is the foundation of the Chruch,

I wasnt going to waste 4 minutes and 10 seconds of my life that I will never be able to get back on why someone would pray to saints instead of the Father like Jesus commanded, but I watched it. He is still wrong, you DO NOT pray through saint, but to tha father through our high priest JESUS ONLY.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had no idea hot cross buns, sold in the bakery section of my grocery store which is frequented by a lot of Mormons, were a part of anything sacred.

Tell us more.

LOL, don't get them started they will end up saying we worship hot cross buns. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
It has been proven many times that 16:18-19 is not stating that Peter is the Pope, but that Jesus Christ is the foundation of the Chruch,

I wasnt going to waste 4 minutes and 10 seconds of my life that I will never be able to get back on why someone would pray to saints instead of the Father like Jesus commanded, but I watched it. He is still wrong, you DO NOT pray through saint, but to tha father through our high priest JESUS ONLY.
Yep, a tradition of man at odds with scripture. There is only ONE way to god and that is through Jesus; not anyone else, saint or not. Any genuine saint would reject such a prayer.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Accepting God and His Word is a lot different than serving the Idol of the GreatWhore of Revelations.
And that thinking comes directly from hate sites on Catholics. I know what you have been reading and studying. So sad really.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
God gave the commands to all 12 tribes of Israel at Mt Sinai. The Jews were only one of the 12 tribes, so there for, Gods commands could not be to the Jews only considering all 12 tribes were there.

Just face it the Catholic Church substituted Passover with Easter. If you want to celebrate Easter, fine, but don't fool yourself and say that is what Christ commanded when he specifically said to keep the Passover. Easter, A holiday that also includes egg laying rabbits, Easter Egg hunts, eating a Easter ham ( an unclean animal) for dinner in honor of Christ to remember your savior. Wake up folks
So you do not celebrate Easter at all? You don't think Christ rose from the dead? How can you be Christian then?

You are just stating the secular holiday of Easter that kids have fun with, you are mixed up big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity